King Callie: Callie's Saga, Book One by…

King Callie: Callie's Saga, Book One

by B Lynch

113,689,591 (5)None
Recently added byEisah

No tags.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

(Spoilers within)

I'm writing this review before this book is available for sale, so it's possible some things that I mention will be fixed or changed before its released.

The first thing I noticed about this book was the cover. I'm sure all of us are used to fantasy armor, and especially fantasy armor that looks ridiculous on women (bikini armor or other vulnerable areas being left uncovered, breasts shaped onto armor that would get them immediately killed if they were struck...). So the cover drew my attention when it had elaborate armor for her that did neither of those things and she was holding an axe.

I love medieval fantasy type settings and that made it look promising, so I opened it up.

When I read the summary of this book I thought that Valric, the brother, would die within the first couple chapters and the rest would be about Caliandra taking over the throne. It's not. The majority of this book deals with inner politics, people trying to hide their own dark secrets while trying to discover each others, and groups working against each other. It's not until the end that Caliandra actually finally gets the throne, and that's after much effort.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Everyone is presented with their own motives. The man who usurps the throne isn't just painted as a bad guy, but as someone who actually cares about the kingdom, and he does worse and worse things as he tries to keep the throne. Valric probably got the least fleshed out.

The book starts off as Valric is asking the Seer how they can save the ailing king, because when the king dies their status will be lowered. Royth, the Seer, has a horrible vision of the future with Valic in charge, and then sees peace with Caliandra, and decides that Valric has to die before he becomes king. He sends Valric off on a dangerous fool's errand to get him killed - but not without feeling guilt over it.

From there the book takes its time setting everything up. Valric goes with several men, including the captain of the guard, Kells, and ends up being killed by Kells' hand. The king's favorite Minister, Marrol, decides it's safest for the kingdom if he takes over instead of letting a magical axe decide, and he has the axe hidden. Both men are opposing each other and both don't want their secrets to get out.

Read the rest here. ( )
  Eisah | Apr 21, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,095,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible