Half the World Away by Cath Staincliffe

Half the World Away

by Cath Staincliffe

Cath Staincliffe is a writer who has an uncanny knack of really getting inside her character's heads. In this novel she has managed to tap into every parents worst nightmare, how would you cope if your child was missing? and worse, missing in a foreign country?
This was a fantastic crime novel but it was so much more than that as well. The story didn't finish when it was revealed what had happened to Lori (the missing daughter)it carried on so the reader could see the aftermath of a devastating crime. Jo physical reactions to the psychological torture she was enduring was so believable and I could really appreciate how difficult it was searching for your child in a country that is more concerned with appearances than solving the crime.
My only slight disappointment was the ending, it felt a little unresolved but then life doesn't come with everything neatly tied up and sorted out so why should fiction. Overall this was a great read that kept me glued to my kindle through to the early hours. ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
I loved this - it was filled with tension and vivid descriptions of China, the frustrations of trying to do things in such a different culture and language barrier. To me though the ending seemed a bit rushed which is the reason for 4 stars. ( )
  boudicca123 | May 29, 2015 |
I have loved the previous books I have read by Cath Staincliffe and Half the World Away totally lived up to my expectations. In it, Jo Maddox and her ex-husband travel to China to search for their daughter, Lori, who went there travelling and went missing. I really felt Jo's pain (the story is told in the first person by Jo) as she desperately tried to find out what had happened to Lori and why they hadn't heard from her.

Cath Staincliffe is a brilliant writer. She's very emotive and managed to deliver some parts of the story that totally took me by surprise, more than once dropping a major event into what seemed like a run of the mill section. I found this book difficult to put down. The search for Lori is frantic and it's not hard to put yourself in the place of her parents, dealing with another country's bureaucracy and police department.

Cath Staincliffe is fast becoming one of my favourite writers, one of those that I would read anything by, without much consideration as to what it was about. I thought Half the World Away was a brilliant read. ( )
  nicx27 | May 25, 2015 |

Newly graduated photography student Lori Maddox chooses to spend the year after university travelling and visits China where she finds casual work as a private English tutor. When she disappears, her parents Jo and Tom, who separated when Lori was a toddler, travel to China to find their daughter. Landing in a totally unfamiliar country, with no knowledge of the customs or language, and receiving scant help bordering on indifference from the local authorities, Jo and Tom are forced to turn detective, following in Lori's footsteps, tracing the people she mentioned in her blogs, interviewing her friends, colleagues and students. It's an unbearably difficult challenge, made harder as all the reasons for the breakdown of their relationship twenty years earlier resurface with a vengeance.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,459,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible