Boeddha Deel 3: Devadatta by Osamu Tezuka

Boeddha Deel 3: Devadatta (edition 2004)

by Osamu Tezuka

Member:Niekchen
Title:Boeddha Deel 3: Devadatta
Authors:Osamu Tezuka
Info:2007, 2012 Nederlandse Vertaling Uitgeverij Luitingh - Sijthoff B.V., Amsterdam
Rating:*****
Tags:manga

Buddha, Volume 3: Devadatta by Osamu Tezuka

English (10)  Dutch (1)  All languages (11)
Really, it is embarrassing to admit how much time went by between reading Volume 2 and 3. Even given that my old library didn't appear to have any graphic novels (at least not for grown-ups), and instead I had to buy all mind on the rare trips to Grand Rapids that I could convince Andrew to take me to the comic book store. I should have bought one of these volumes every time.

Okay, so now you know how strongly I feel about Tezuka's writing. But why? It's his sense of balance. He writes about such a reverent subject -- the life of Buddha -- with such bold streaks of absolute irreverence. The artwork, too, is simple and beautiful in one frame, hideous/profane a few pages later, then total kawaii a few pages after that. He constantly has you spinning from hope to despair, admiration to disguts. It is both a departure from our everyday world and a descent into the worst of the human condition.

In this volume, Siddharta continues to seek enlightenment, gaining admirers as he goes, denying Tatta's requests of him to return to his throne, and finally giving in and accepting responsibility for Assaji, the boy who has been following them. Some of the plot in this volume seems incremental, and the asides to catch us up on other characters feel not yet justified, but I'm sure we will all end up somewhere worthwhile in the end. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
Devdutta's character is much different than I have known all my life. Charcaters from previous books - Naradutta, Dhempa, Thatta, Migailla - continue. I love the fact how charcters meet each other, how their stories entwine.

Of course, there are new chacters too - Bimbisara (king of Mgadh), Vishakha, Warrior Sukanda and fortune-teller Assaji. Siddharth's journey continues, albeit with obstacles.

Too small a manga this one!

poonamsharma | Apr 6, 2013 |
Siddhartha is now a young monk pursuing knowledge and education. He runs into a one-eyed monk who attempts to educate him on the concept of ordeals–essentially punishments for the body designed to help attain enlightenment. The childhood of Devadatta is also depicted. He is bullied and becomes a killer at a young age, thrown out to the wolves who then raise him. Thus his hatred of humanity is explored.

It is odd though for a graphic novel series on an important topic like the Buddha’s life to feel as if it is best read by those already educated on the Buddha. I assumed it would read like an easy introduction, but instead it is so subtle and leaves out so many key details that it is actually best read by those already well educated on Buddhism and the Buddha’s life.

Check out my full review: http://wp.me/pp7vL-Ec ( )
  gaialover | Dec 13, 2011 |
This third volume of Osamu Tezuka's epic tale follows its eponymous sub-title character, Devadatta, for the majority of the volume. While Siddhartha certainly makes important discoveries and finds his path firmly set, it is Devadatta's backstory and decisions that are the clear star. In a very disturbing way.

Tezuka's third volume boils down to one lesson: The weak perish, the strong survive.

Of course, the nature of strength and weakness are relative and may or may not have anything to do with physical strength, monetary strength, economic strength or any other number of strengths a human or animal can posses. This lesson is sometimes brutally demonstrated and other times a subtle whisper. In the case of a war with bees, it is beautiful in classic Tezuka illustration.

The fastest read of the Buddhas so far, it sets the stage for much bigger things to come. ( )
  stephmo | Jan 25, 2010 |
Fantastische reeks. ( )
  volume12 | Jan 25, 2009 |
What a glorious day . . .

In this third volume of the fictional biography of Siddhartha, Gautama Buddha, Prince Siddhartha undergoes hardship and ordeals in his search for enlightenment.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,047,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible