Revision by Andrea Phillips

Revision

by Andrea Phillips

Revision is a tight, tense read with a light science fiction premise and a relatable heroine. The tale is told through Mira's point of view, which makes the trickiness of her character all the more well done: she's a rich girl who has convinced herself that she's independent, but not really. She works as a barista and fancies herself as rebellious. I could have really disliked her as a character type, but her character was nuanced and sympathetic. When her high tech boyfriend spontaneously dumps her, in her shock and grief she uses his log-in to his Wikipedia-like site to say they became engaged instead... and is shocked when, hours later, it becomes true.

The science-fantasy plot is extremely tense. I read the whole book in one day. To me, the whole thing felt like a really good, classic Twilight Zone episode. It turns out that her new fiance's site has discovered the deep power of suggestion. The right change, at just the right moment, because true. As Mira falls deeper into the truth, her life completely falls to shambles, and it's clear that no one is safe. The conclusion is a tad predictable but very right and satisfying.

On a more technical note, this is the first novel I have read from Fireside Press, and I really liked that they included content notes on potential triggers for readers. I hope more publishers start including that kind of data. ( )
1 vote ladycato | Jul 20, 2015 |

Mira is a trust fund baby playing at making it on her own as a Brooklyn barista. When Benji, her tech startup boyfriend, dumps her out of the blue, she decides a little revenge vandalism is in order. Mira updates his entry on Verity, Benji's Wikipedia-style news aggregator, to say the two have become engaged. Hours later, he shows up at her place with an engagement ring. Chalk it up to coincidence, right? Soon after, Benji's long-vanished co-founder Chandra shows up asking for Mira's help. She claims Verity can nudge unlikely events into really happening, even change someone's mind. And Chandra insists that Verity, and Mira's newly minted fiance, can't be trusted.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,540,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible