Dangerous Lies by Becca Fitzpatrick

Dangerous Lies

by Becca Fitzpatrick

Ohh wow wow wowwww Now this is my very first Becca Fitzpatrick book I read and Holy Smokes I really loved and enjoyed it so much. I have been dying to read Mrs. Fitzpatrick Hush Hush series for a long time now, but I heard so much mix reviews about the Hush Hush series that I was kind of hesitant to read that series first. I saw a great review from a really good book blogging friend of mine who I always trust her reviews. She gave Dangerous Lies a four stars rate and an amazing review I just know I had to pick it up because if she loves it than I now I will love it as well. And Ohh boy I am supper glad and happy I check this book out from the library because I thoroughly love and enjoyed this amazing book so much. Lets see where do I start the plot and concept was full of thriller, suspense and mystery that I could not put the book down I had to read what happens next! The written style was clear and flawless that I absolutely loved to read. And the characters were very well developed, intriguing and very dynamic in there own way, and the villains were pure cold hearted, ruthless and pure arrogant that one of them thought he own everything and everybody in Thunder Basin Ugh I so despise him so much. The romance between Stella Gordon and Chet Falconer was very slow burning but subtle. Stella and Chet were very attractive to each other even though Stella was fighting that feeling for a long time, but eventually she succumb to her feeling towards Chet by the middle of the book. But Stella is battling to tell the whole truth to Chet who she really is and why she is Thunder Basin, Nebraska for. She is so sick and tire and feels totally guilty for lying too him. But by the end of the book she tells him the whole truth including the dangerous lies she has been keeping from him. She feels safer and great telling Chet the whole truth but little does she know her enemies are actually closer than she thinks. And here is where I am going to leave it off at without spoiling it for anybody. But I really did love and enjoyed Dangerous Lies that I most definitely am going to check out Becca Fitzpatrick other books out. Including her Hush Hush series which I know I am going to love and enjoy as well! ( )
  KatiriaR | Aug 8, 2017 |
Teenager Estella Goodwinn is now in WITSEC after witnessing a violent crime and agreeing to testify against the man who killed her mother's drug dealer. She's taken from her friends and family, and the hustle and bustle of city life and plunked in the middle of nowhere in Nebraska for her own safety.

Her name has been changed from Estella to Stella. Really creative, especially since she's now in WITSEC because criminals want to find her and kill her. And she HATES the name Stella. Shut up. She's not a likeable character. She's disrespectful to the woman who takes her in. There were so many things I didn't like... the town's baseball star and everyone's leniency towards his actions; Stella's comment about Inny's baby was ignorant; Stella loves Reed, oh wait, no, Stella loves Chet. Ugh. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
Not the worst thriller, but not very good. The ending (last 50 pages) were the best in my opinion. I definitely speed-read 90% of it because i hated the main character. She was almost impossible to identify with. My thought - if you are going into witness protection you are grateful/scared not cocky/rude. ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
Estella Goodwinn returns home late one night to find her mother in a drugged stupor alongside a dead body. She accuses Danny Balando, her mother’s dealer and leader of a local Philadelphia drug cartel, of the murder. With her life threatened, she is forced to leave behind her boyfriend Reed, given a new identity, and sent to live in Nebraska under the Witness Protection Program.

Now known as Stella, she angrily refuses to settle into her strange new life in Thunder Basin. Knowing she only has to wait a few months until she turns 18 and can leave, she spends days plotting her escape. Carmina, the long suffering retired cop who took her in, and Chet Falconer, the good looking neighbor boy, begin to whittle away at the bricks of pain, loneliness and confusion she’d built around her heart. As Stella begins to feel a pull towards Chet and life in Thunder Basin, she gets a reminder from her old life that will forever shake up her life.

Fitzgerald did a good job describing the witness protection program, but Stella’s bratty behavior towards Carmina, and her constant neediness for Reed was a little over the top. Her up and down emotions towards her mother and Chet was another downer, which is why I only gave it 3 stars.

Despite these bad spots, “Dangerous Lies” is a good read, and I will recommend it for ages 16 and older.

I received an electronic copy of this book from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Book review link: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2016/08/02/dangerous-lies-becca-fitzpatrick/ ( )
  sunshinealma | Aug 2, 2016 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A gripping thriller infused in romance! Though the main character began bratty and ungrateful, her development was worth watching.

Opening Sentence: An angry rap shook the hotel room door.

The Review:

Estella is forced to give up her life, her home, and her boyfriend after agreeing to testify against her mother’s drug dealer in a murder case. She goes into witness protection to avoid the dealer’s powerful cartel who will be out to silence her before she testifies, and ends up in Thunder Basin, Nebraska in a deep cover story. Now named Stella Gordon and pretending to be a foster child, she must navigate her terrifying position, her guardian the former cop, and an unsettling attraction to a boy named Chet.

I’ve read some of Becca Fitzpatrick’s work in the past. As far as the Hush, Hush series goes, I enjoyed it and read the first three books, but sometimes grew irritated with the hazy plot structure and confusing characters. So I went into this story slightly wary but excited for another chance to read this author – despite the previous series’s shortcomings, I found the writing style lovely. And it was a completely different premise, a thriller and not a paranormal. From the beginning I found myself enjoying it – the constant action, emotion, and romance ensnared me.

The main character was hilarious in her witty one-liners. When the novel began, I found her bratty, definitely entitled, and ungrateful, but I loved watching her progress throughout the story. She developed into a much more empathetic and honest person, even living within a thick web of lies, and I appreciated the way the author handled her. Despite her character flaws in the beginning, I still loved her unwillingness to back down. She was a very strong, determined girl even in the situation she found herself in. I could compare her to Tess from The Fixer, which as far as I’m concerned is a high compliment. Others that reviewed it had more of a problem with her character than I did, so others might not be okay with her, but I was willing to overlook the original snottiness and eventually appreciate how she changes.

The romance was much more sticky and complex than your usual love story. To start off, Stella has a boyfriend at the beginning of the story, one that she is deeply in love with. Usually as a reader, you immediately see a problem with their current relationship that would discredit it and allow the character to fall in love with another, but with Reed, at least at first, he seemed committed and kind. So Stella is falling in love with Chet when she’s still very committed to Reed – whom witness protection has shipped off somewhere completely different and she’s not allowed to contact him. In Stella’s defense, she worked hard to keep things platonic because she didn’t want to cheat, but as new info comes to light, the lines blur. Speaking of – we never got a concrete look at where Reed ended up!

Altogether, an amazing novel that I really did enjoy. There were a couple plot twists I definitely didn’t see coming and a good cast of characters that I loved in their own ways, Chet was the love interest and I kind of loved him – he had a good mix of masculinity, humor, and a sensitive side. Dangerous Lies was a super good read for me and I liked it more than the Hush, Hush saga by far, which is strange, because the series can be revered in the book world. Anyway, a recommendation from me!

Notable Scene:

“Yes.”

“I’ll touch base with him on that. Meanwhile, any other details from the attack that stood out to you? Did the attacker say anything else?”

“He laughed.” I shuddered unexpectedly as the snarling timbre of (spoiler)’s voice drifted through me. “He though what he did what funny. That I deserved it.”

FTC Advisory: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers provided me with a copy of Dangerous Lies. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Mar 22, 2016 |

After witnessing a murder, high school senior Stella Gordon is sent to Nebraska for her own safety where she chafes at her protection, but when she meets Chet Falconer it becomes harder for her to keep her guard up, and soon she has to deal with the real threat to her life as her enemies are actually closer than she thinks.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,622,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible