A Love Like Ours (Porter Family Novels) by…

A Love Like Ours (Porter Family Novels)

by Becky Wade

I had very high expectations after reading the other books in this series. I must say Becky did not disappoint. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. ( )
  Sandralb | Aug 30, 2016 |
In her trademark delightfully witty and sweet writing voice, Becky Wade takes us back to Holley, Texas and the Porter family and friends we've grown to love. A Love Like Ours zeroes in on Jake's story and is, at its core, a story of hope - losing hope after tragedy and rediscovering that hope with the help of a childhood friend. It's about not giving up on someone you love... because you know God hasn't given up on them either. And it's about trusting God with the good, the bad, and the ugly of life even when none of the above make sense.

A Love Like Ours reunites inseparable childhood friends Jake Porter and Lyndie James as adults. One friend has been heart-wounded by the tragedies he's lived through while the other friend has been strengthened by hers. Jake is content to stay dead inside, doing his penance this way for not protecting the other Marines in his command from the IED that exploded beneath their armored vehicle - for being the one who lived. Lyndie whirls into his life like a tornado and upends his carefully ordered shelter-in-place directive. She stills sees the little boy she adored all those years ago, and as determined as he is to keep her away she's equally determined to get through to him.

As always, I adore Becky Wade's writing style! It engages you right away and keeps your attention with witty dialogue, hilarious asides, and heart-clenching moments of sweetness. Oh... and THE KISSING! Whooee, as Nancy Porter would say. Becky Wade's kissing scenes belong on a movie screen with crescendos of dramatic music playing in the background. As long as I have an alternate source of oxygen and a fan or six to insure I could survive such an experience.

The characters are wonderful, the writing is witty, the kisses are movie-worthy. But make no mistake - A Love Like Ours is not what I would call a lighthearted read. It deals with a soldier's PTSD still firmly holding him hostage years after the explosion that forever marked his future. It spotlights a family whose world was changed in an instant when their daughter suffered a tragic injury at birth. It touches on the pain of infertility, single parenting, and loss of faith. Just one of these topics would be tough for an author to tackle, but Ms. Wade writes about each with a nice blend of grace and truth. Through it all, we as readers are reminded that God sees, that God knows, that God heals, and that God has a plan that may not make sense to us but makes perfect sense to the One who has loved us even before He created us.

I give A Love Like Ours 4 out of 5 stars!

Thank you to Netgalley in cooperation with Bethany House Publishers for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

To read more of my thoughts on the book, check out my review at https://readingismysuperpower.wordpress.com/2015/05/24/a-love-like-ours/ ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |
This is a wonderful story of learning to overcome and to live again. Jack and Lyndie reconnect as adults and she works to help him overcome some issues that he has. I liked seeing how they learned to work together to overcome the obstacles and how it worked out. I liked seeing how Lyndie was able to keep persevering even when things got tough.
I received this book free from the publisher to review. ( )
  polarmath | Jun 7, 2015 |
I loved it. a fast read. please see my blog for my full review.
http://hike2forty.blogspot.com/2015/05/a-love-like-ours-by-becky-wade.html ( )
  ElizrdbthSpeaks | May 12, 2015 |
Nightmares, anxiety, involuntary reactions to simple noises. These are all part of Jake Porter's life after returning home from the Marines. His Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) keeps him isolated from others, including his family. His life was different many years before, when he felt whole and loved his best friend, Lyndie James. When Lyndie suddenly moves back to Holley, Texas, Jake is unprepared for the bond that still exists from their childhood friendship. Against his own desires, he hires Lyndie to exercise his Thoroughbred horses and asks her to work with Silver Leaf, a beautiful and potentially amazing horse that won't race. As Lyndie and Jake work together, she brings light into his otherwise dark life. Jake resists the momentum of their relationship as he is plagued by the past. Will he ever be whole enough to love Lyndie? Read more in A Love Like Ours by Becky Wade.

A Love Like Ours is Becky Wade's third book featuring the Porter brothers of Holley, Texas and it is my favorite. It works fine as a stand-alone story, but Undeniably Yours and Meant to Be Mine are good as well, so I recommend reading them before A Love Like Ours.

Wade's writing style is good as usual. At no point did the plot drag or rush. Jake and Lyndie are well-developed characters with flaws and strengths that make them authentic, but still remarkable. However, the story is what really enchanted me with this book. I felt like cheering as Lyndie took Silver Leaf out to attempt his first run. Lastly, I appreciated the compassion with which the author treated Jake's PTSD. As someone who's been there, I felt Wade did an excellent job in dealing with the issue without making it too tidy, too easily fixed.

I recommend A Love Like Ours by Becky Wade to fans of clean, Christian romances. It's a keeper for me as I have no doubt I'll read this series again in the future.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising." ( )
  Sneezybee23 | May 11, 2015 |

Former Marine Jake Porter has far deeper scars than the one that marks his face. He struggles with symptoms of PTSD, lives a solitary life, and avoids relationships.

When Lyndie James, Jake's childhood best friend, lands back in Holley, Texas, Jake cautiously hires her to exercise his Thoroughbreds. Lyndie is tender-hearted, fiercely determined, and afraid of nothing, just like she was as a child. Jake pairs her with Silver Leaf, a horse full of promise but lacking in results, hoping she can solve the mystery of the stallion's reluctance to run.

Though Jake and Lyndie have grown into very different adults, the bond that existed during their childhood still ties them together. Against Jake's will, Lyndie's sparkling, optimistic personality begins to tear down the walls he's built around his heart. A glimmer of the hope he'd thought he'd lost returns, but fears and regrets still plague him. Will Jake ever be able to love Lyndie like she deserves, or is his heart too shattered to mend?

Praise for Becky Wade

"I wasn't ready for this story to end, but when it did, I sighed the happy/longing sort of sigh that romance readers know so well..."--USA Today on Undeniably Yours

"They are a couple you'll be rooting for to have their Texas fairy-tale ending."--Romantic Times on Undeniably Yours

"I adored this book. It was hilariously funny, heartwarming, and too cute! I laughed. I cried. It made me smile countless times."--Will Bake for Books blog on Meant to Be Mine

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Jul 2015 18:34:01 -0400)

Becky Wade is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,142,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible