Highlander Redeemed (Guardians of the Targe)…

Highlander Redeemed (Guardians of the Targe)

by Laurin Wittig

I kept putting off the reading of this book because I hated Scotia in the first two books. She was willful, stubborn, self-centered, reckless - you name a bad characteristic for a female heroine and she was it. So because I have encountered quite a few annoying heroines lately, I was not looking forward to another one. So I am quite surprised that I ended up rating this book the highest of the series. (Part of the reason could be that I listened to the first two books in audio and I just did not care for the narrator.)

So this installment of the Targe series focuses on the youngest sister, Scotia Macalpin, and Duncan of Dunlairig. In the previous books, Scotia was either trysting or getting into major trouble to the point of costing a clansmen his life. I can't say that she was improved any in this book - she still refuses to accept responsibility for her actions. All she can think about is vengeance and fighting the English. I did feel bad for Scotia sometimes when her own clan shunned her, but I can't say she didn't deserve it. Duncan has always had the patience of a saint when it came to Scotia, but he has finally had it with her. However Duncan soon finds himself assigned to follow Scotia everywhere to make sure she stays out of trouble. I love the way that Duncan decides to distract her, and their training sessions together were nicely detailed and well-written.

The plot really comes to a head in this book, so we have more supernatural activity, more strategy and more fighting. I enjoyed all the action and plotting, which helped take the focus off Scotia's spoiled behavior. This was a nice culmination of the series, and I think I would have enjoyed it even more if I had read all the books instead of going the audio route. 4 stars / 2 flames.

I was provided a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Highlander Redeemed by Lauren Wittig is a 2015 Montlake publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this Scottish historical novel featuring young Scotia MacAlpin, a young lady now outcast by her family and clan. The combination of adventure, paranormal elements, and romance brings us a tale of intrigue that could lead our young heroine to not only redeem herself, but to reach heights she never dreamed possible.

When the defiant Scotia disobeys her father's direct order and puts herself in grave peril, a young man comes to her rescue and dies as a result. Now, Scotia is being blamed for her careless actions and is reminded daily of her mistake. But, despite the constant reminder she cost a young man his life, she continues to defy orders by sneaking away from camp, training herself to become a guardian in order achieve vengeance for the deaths caused by the English.

When it becomes obvious Scotia can not be tamed by the women in the camp, Duncan is assigned to keep tabs on her. When he realizes she intends to become a warrior, he decides the best thing for all concerned is to take her under his wing and train her properly. As a result the two discover Scotia has the gift of “knowing”.

Scotia is one proud, confident, and defiant young lady. At times she takes that act to the extreme and becomes haughty and defensive. However, she is much smarter than people give her credit for and at times she pricks Duncan's ego by showing him up. Scotia has a big problem with taking orders and going through the correct chain of command. This rogue behavior nearly cost her everything, but in the end she learns some valuable lessons. She is just one of those stubborn people who has to learn the hard way. But, she also taught her people some lessons as well. It just might be possible she is born to be a leader, a guardian, and a warrior and her kin may have

But, as the quest continues to take back their home and land, Duncan and Scotia also discover they have an unmistakable bond that becomes passionate as they spend more time together. But, will Scotia's actions drive a wedge between them forever or will they both learn to give and take to make the relationship work?

I didn't always like Scotia's stubbornness, and I didn't always like Duncan's refusal to bend just a tiny bit. The lesson was a difficult one for both parties, but in the end they realize the wisdom the other brought to the table. The paranormal elements add a magical quality to the story and helps Scotia discover what her true role will be in the future. The action is paced evenly, giving the character and the story plenty of time to develop. The romance is secondary to the story which some might find disappointing, just a little, but I for one do not mind the focus being on the plot, and letting the romance simmer in the background for a while. I thought Scotia and Duncan had some things they needed to work out first and a lot of growing up to do before the relationship took a more serious turn. However, the love they have for one another literally jumps off the page, even when it looks like all is lost, I knew this couple was destined for greatness.

I wasn't sure how I would take to this one since Scotia was a girl in her teens and I was afraid the novel would have a YA feel to it. It marginally have that quality, but mostly this is an adult novel and I found it highly entertaining. 4.5 stars ( )
  gpangel | May 23, 2015 |
#3 in the "Guardians of the Targe" series, while, it can be read as a stand alone, I would suggest reading the other two in the series first. BUT, not necessary to enjoy "Highlander Redeemed".

This is a unique Scottish Highlander tale, as the warrior is female, a complete disaster waiting to happen, and has a bit of magic. But she one of the "Guardians of the Targe", only time will tell.

A fantastic, compelling and emotional read. The heroine of this story is not such a heroine until towards the ending of the story. She has many regrets, secrets, guilt and a terrible sense of Mis-direction. She wants to prove herself to her clan,and find her self-worth. The hero, is just that, a hero in every sense of the word, and in more ways than one. He has always been her protector,her fiercest defender, is directed to keep her out of trouble by the clan Chieftain, and has always loved her. Trouble is her middle name, can she finally find her purpose, her destiny and her true love, before it's too late and she is banished from the clan?

Fast paced Highland tale of enemies, secrets, regrets, forgiveness, healing, passion and romance. A truly fantastic Scottish tale, with challenging, but loveable characters and a unique storyline. An enjoyable and satisfying read!

*Received for an honest review from the publisher through Net Galley*

**Cross-posted on My Book Addiction Reviews**

Rating: 4
Heat rating: Mild
Reviewed by: AprilR, courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  tarenn | Apr 23, 2015 |

Scotia McAplin may be only eighteen years old, but she's no stranger to trouble. Her latest incident--which resulted in a death and forced her clan into battle--has made her an outcast among her exiled people. Scotia is tired of being ignored and overshadowed by her sister, a gifted Guardian of the Targe, and she's become hell-bent on destroying the army out to capture the ancient Highland relic for their English King. Duncan of Dunlairig has looked out for Scotia since she started to walk. She was as restless and reckless then as she is now--only the stakes have become higher and more perilous. While the rest of Clan MacAlpin ostracizes her, Duncan secretly helps Scotia become the warrior she yearns to be. But the real test of her skills may come when he needs her help--and her long-forgotten heart.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,384,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible