Shades of Treason (An Anomaly Novel) (Volume…

Shades of Treason (An Anomaly Novel) (Volume 1)

by Sandy Williams

192537,190 (4.25)None

While I wasn’t particularly impressed with The Shadow Reader, I was intrigued enough with the premise of Shades of Treason, the first in Williams’ new sci-fi romance series, that I decided to give this author another try. And I am very glad I did!

In Shades of Treason, Williams remedies the biggest problem I had with The Shadow Reader - namely, bland, undeveloped characters - by giving readers a compelling hero and heroine. I was immediately drawn in to Ash’s narration, and the alternating points of view provide additional insight into her love interest, Rykus. These characters are not one-dimensional cardboard cutouts, and I enjoyed uncovering their backstories, flaws, and motivations.

Shades of Treason marks my first foray into the sci-fi romance genre, and I am happy to say that it was successful! I love that the romance never overpowers the story. That said, my one complaint is that Ash and Rykus get it on at the most inopportune time in the whole book. (Seriously, you’re running for your life, and you’re going to have sex now?! This right here is why I can't read romantic suspense.) Still, I did enjoy the steaminess in a guilty pleasure kind of way.

For me, the highlight of the novel is the non-stop action. You're thrown into the fray right from the beginning, and the story never slows down. The fast-paced plot, combined with captivating worldbuilding and sizzling romantic tension, makes Shades of Treason a damn entertaining read that’s difficult to put down. This is exactly what I was in the mood for, and I can’t wait to pick up book two. ( )
  les121 | Aug 3, 2017 |
‘All they need was a reason, a conspiracy. Learning that telepaths existed and that they had infiltrated the Coalition would make them suspect everyone. The senators already fought and argued and threatened to secede. She wouldn’t give them more fuel to burn their ties.’

Lieutenant Ramie Ashdyn and her team are sent on a mission by the Coalition to steal classified information from the Saricean’s but she is the only survivor. She is subsequently blamed for their deaths and charged with treason. She’s left unable to speak the truth of the situation in order to clear her name because her mind has been altered by a telepath. The proof of the existence of telepaths is the classified information that her team stole and inevitably gave their lives to keep secret because the knowledge of this may be the very thing to tear the Coalition apart.

‘In three days, Rykus would lead a contingent of soldiers in a daring, deadly assault on an enemy shipyard. In three days, the Coalition and the Sariceans would be at war.’

Ashdyn is a stubborn, badass chick who has no problem taking care of herself. Growing up starving on the streets of Glory, she volunteered to become a soldier of the Coalition. She also discovered she’s faster and more powerful than any human being: she’s an anomaly. We’re given very little of her background and the details behind being an anomaly and while it was enough to clarify most questions, I wanted more details because it was an extremely interesting concept. I loved the inclusion of Commander Rhys Rykus and the whole concept behind the loyalty training as well. Due to an issue with an anomaly’s mental stability, they underwent loyalty training which made them dependable soldiers that would follow instruction and wouldn’t snap under the strain they underwent. Commander Rhys Rykus was Ashdyn’s instructor and he’s been requested to use that loyalty training in order to get the classified information from her. It doesn’t help matters that the two have a very complicated and heated rapport, both denying the existence of feelings they may have because a relationship between them is out of the question.

Conspiracies, treason, and intrigue oh my! Shades of Treason includes all of that and more (like a pretty hot relationship build-up). I hope to see more delving into the world-building in subsequent installments. Specifically, I’d love to know more about anomaly’s and not just who the Saricean’s are but what caused the war between them and the Coalition. Nonetheless this is still an auspicious start to an exciting series that I’m most looking forward to! ( )
  bonniemarjorie | Jul 29, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,963,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible