The Photograph by Beverly Lewis

The Photograph

by Beverly Lewis

10020120,775 (4.24)None

I was interested in reading this book, because of the cover and title. I know Amish don't usually take photographs, so there had to be a good story behind, and I wasn't disappointed. ( )
  eliorajoy | Oct 17, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed reading this book by Beverly Lewis which I received from Bethany House Publishers through the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program. The Amish lifestyle is interesting and I enjoyed the characters. I recommend this book for a light, cozy read. ( )
  rrnicovich | Oct 28, 2015 |
When Jeb Stutzman begins his journey from Holmes County, Ohio to Eden Valley, Pennsylvania, his life is about to change again. He is still reeling from the sudden death of his beloved fiancé a year ago, and having trouble recovering and moving on with his life. He works for his Uncle learning and possibly taking over his buggy building business.
While on the bus he finds a copy of Little Women wedged between the seat, and in it a picture of a beautiful Amish woman, a graven image, how could she be Amish and taking picture? This simple photo is about to change his life when he meets, or thinks he does, the girl in the photo.
Eva and her sister Frona are barely hanging on after their younger sister Lily left to go English, their brother Menno has also dropped a bomb that he wants to take his birthright and live in the family home. Someone is going to have to leave and Eva will have to close her candy store, Menno and his family need the room.
What is about to happen makes this book a page turner, and a delightful read, come along and experience the trial and tribulations of wanting to move on with their lives and feeling the loss of their beloved sister.
I received this book through Bethany House Publishers Blogger Program, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Oct 13, 2015 |
An interesting story of family and understanding. I really enjoyed learning about the characters and what made them as they were. Three sisters have been living in the family farmhouse, but when their father dies and leaves it to their brother, they must make other plans. The brother does not feel like the sisters will be useful and wants all but one gone. When the youngest leaves altogether, this cause problems as it seems that she has left the Amish faith.
I liked seeing the family dynamics and how the did not just accept how things were, but worked for what they believed in.
I received this book free to review from the publisher. ( )
  polarmath | Oct 11, 2015 |
The Photograph by Beverly Lewis is a story full of love, intrigue, Amish life and faith. With Ms. Lewis' definitive writing style, she weaves a tale that is engaging, captivating and truly enjoyable! I give The Photograph ... 4.5 stars!

Thank you to Bethany House Publishers and Netgalley for a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  mrsrenee | Oct 8, 2015 |

Inspiring New Novel from the
"Biggest Name in Amish Fiction"

Eva Esch and her sisters are in a predicament. With the passing of their widowed mother, Eva's older brother Menno plans to move his growing family into the Eden Valley farmhouse where they all grew up, leaving little room for his three single sisters. Surely, Menno reasons, at least one of them will marry this coming wedding season. Eva does hope to marry, but she isn't sure she wants to give up her sweet shop for the life of a farmer's wife, and she has no other prospects.

When younger sister, Lily, disappears in the night, leaving only a brief note, Eva fears she has been wooed away from the People by an outsider. And when Jed Stutzman, a young Amish buggy maker from Ohio, shows up in Lancaster with a photo of a Plain young woman, Eva's world begins to tilt. She feels powerfully drawn to the quietly charming stranger--but the woman in the forbidden photograph is no stranger at all. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 15:00:48 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Beverly Lewis's book The Photograph was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Bethany House

3 editions of this book were published by Bethany House.

Editions: 0764212478, 0764217291, 0764217283

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible