Dory and the Real True Friend (Dory…

Dory and the Real True Friend (Dory Fantasmagory)

by Abby Hanlon

I was ambivalent about the first Dory Fantasmagory book, but this one I really, really liked. Normally I don't often read sequels and I certainly wouldn't have picked this up, but as it was nominated for Cybils I read it and I liked it. Really liked it.

Dory is ready for her first day of school....maybe. Her imaginary friends have lots of advice and so do Dory's older brother and sister. Dory tries to follow everyone's advice, but she's still, well, Dory and at first things don't go so well. But then she meets a friend; a real, true friend! She's a princess and lives in a castle...her siblings are sure it's just another imaginary friend but what if she's not....?

Hanlon's art perfectly captures Dory, in all of her too-small, mismatched clothes, mischievous smile, inability to sit still, and crazy imagination. She's the kid that every teacher groans a little bit when she comes in but can't help liking. She's the awkward kid who really wants friends but doesn't quite fit in with the other kids. I just laughed and sighed over Dory's determination to be friends with the elegant Rosabelle, who at first seems to be a totally opposite character....but then they turn out to have a lot in common.

Verdict: Kids and parents alike will see themselves and their kids in this story, enjoy Dory's wild adventures, and maybe take a second look at potential friends in their classroom. Recommended.

ISBN: 9780525428664; Published 2015 by Dial/Penguin; Borrowed from another library in my consortium
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jan 9, 2016 |

Fans of Junie B. Jones and Ivy and Bean will love this new story about the spunky little rascal with big ideas.

The star of Dory Fantasmagory is heading to school. Her older siblings, Luke and Violet, warn her to leave her imaginary friend, Mary, at home—or better yet, leave her whole imagination at home! Dory is determined to behave like a “regular old girl who never gets in trouble,” but on her very first day she meets a new friend, a girl whose imagination and style are just about as wild as her own. Now she just has to convince her siblings that she’s not making it all up!

Filled with plenty of funny pictures, this book bursts with charm and impudence, making this a must-read for the chapter book set.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 02 Jul 2015 17:53:16 -0400)

Dory, a highly imaginative youngest child, makes a new friend at school but her brother and sister are sure Rosabelle is imaginary, just like all of Dory's other friends.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,616,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible