Adventures with Waffles by Maria Parr

Adventures with Waffles

by Maria Parr

Emil in the Soup Tureen by Astrid Lindgren (LottaBerling)
    The Naming of Tishkin Silk by Glenda Millard (bookwren)
    bookwren: A warm and supportive family in a warm and supportive community.

English (5)  Swedish (1)  All (6)
Sweet story. ( )
  henriette89 | Apr 21, 2018 |
Sweet story. ( )
  henriette89 | Apr 21, 2018 |
Adventure is what happens when Lena and Trille get together. Since they live next door and are best friends, that means adventures are almost constant, and often disastrous. Heart-shaped waffles are the cure to adventure's, and life's, mishaps.

I fell in love with the Norwegian village of Mathildewick Cove and its inhabitants. Lena is the instigator and mischief-maker, reminscent of fun-loving Pippi Longstocking. Trille is a follower with a warm and worrisome heart who is constantly saving Lena from her impulsive actions. Grandpa joins in the fun with pirate skits on a moped. Auntie Granny serves up waffles for every occasion, good or bad. Trille's little sister, Krolle, spills the beans with innocent charm. Most of all, the children of Mathildwick Cove are gifted with lots of freedom in a safe and supportive community.

My favorite adventure was “Noah's Shark” when the inseparable two decide to out-do Noah and fill Uncle Tor's shark boat (a Norwegian fishing vessel) with as many animals as they can. Parr keeps the humor going with pithy dialogue and laughable scenes. Lena proclaims, “Ark is a pretty stupid name for a boat. That Noah could've thought up a better one. Maybe they hadn't invented all the letters of the alphabet yet. Since it was donkey's years ago.” Filling the boat with rabbits, chickens, goats, cats and insects was taking too long, so Lena and Trille snatched Uncle Tor's largest and best-behaved cow. When they return to the boat to see the goat eating the curtains, Lena screams. “The heifer was so scared by Lena's scream that she jumped a few feet up in the air and leaped onto the boat with a crash. She mooed madly into the sky and kicked out in all directions. The heifer slipped on the goat's droppings and kicked the window [and] jumped into the water… Then along came Uncle Tor.”

Summer fades into autumn and so do the adventures. As Trille and Lena wait impatiently for the coming of snow and sledding, disaster strikes. Parr segues masterfully from hilarity and pandemonium to sorrow and anger. “Death is almost like snow; you don't know when it's going to come, even if it tends to come in winter.” Trille learns the answer to Lena's question about the use of Dads when his father helps him face his first loss. Lena's disappearance means Trille also faces his first letdown from a friend.

A sure sign of a great book, I was reluctant for Adventures with Waffles to end. I will be on the lookout for more stories by Maria Parr. Best of all, I can return to this one when I need a dose of comfort and good writing.

My own dear Mother used to make waffles on a heart-shaped waffle iron. As with Trille, they were celebrations for adventure and comfort for difficulties. As with Trille, I was lucky to grow up in a beautiful place with plenty of freedom in a safe community.

Today, I make waffles for my family and friends. I try to put my heart into each one. ( )
  bookwren | Jul 8, 2015 |
Warm, charming story about a friendship between two girls translated from Norwegian. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
In this book we meet 9 year old Theobald Rodrik Danielsen Yttergård, normally just referred to as Trille. He lives in a tiny village with his parents and three brothers and sisters, and his grandfather. Trille's best friend lives next door, she is also 9 and her name is Lena. Trille knows Lena is his best friend, but he is not so sure that he is Lena's best friend. He wishes she would tell him that some time, so he can be certain. We follow Trille and Lena through a whole year with games, school and friendship until disaster breaks. Will life ever be the same?

This book is classified as children's literature, but can certainly be read by adults too. The author Maria Parr has published two books, including this, and is already being compared with Astrid Lindgren. I can fully understand why! This book provoked a range of different emotions, from nodding recognizably to memories from my own childhood, to ridiculously loud laughter, to tears and even sobbing. This book is good, no it is not just good, it is fantastic. Definitely one of the memorable read this year. ( )
  Apolline | Jan 14, 2011 |
On the first afternoon of summer vacation, Lena and I made a ropeway between our houses.

Lena is Trille’s best friend, even if she is a girl. And there is never an ordinary day when you’ve got a best friend like Lena.

Hardly a day passes without Trille and Lena inventing some kind of adventure that often ends in trouble. Whether it’s coaxing a cow onto a boat or sledding down the steepest and iciest hill with a chicken, there is always a thrill—and sometimes an injury—to be had. Trille loves to share everything with Lena, even Auntie Granny’s waffles. But when Lena has to move away and Auntie Granny leaves the world, it sometimes seems like nothing will ever be right again. The warmth of friendship and the support of family suffuse this lightly illustrated novel, proving that when times are tough, a little taste of sweetness can make all the difference.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Jul 2015 02:33:15 -0400)

"Hardly a day passes without Trille and Lena inventing some kind of adventure that often ends in trouble. Whether it's coaxing a cow onto a boat or sledding down the steepest and iciest hill with a chicken, there is always a thrill--and sometimes an injury--to be had. Trille loves to share everything with Lena, even Auntie Granny's waffles..."--Publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,303,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible