Fatal Pursuit (The Aegis Series) by…

Fatal Pursuit (The Aegis Series)

by Elisabeth Naughton

FINALLY! Marley and Jake's story was SO due. And what a story it is. As with all Aegis titles, it will keep you on the edge of your seat and biting your nails. But the romance is oh so sweet! I loved all the previous title but this is my favorite so far. In fact the series is getting better and better. But then Elisabeth Naughton never disappoints. Just look at all her previous work, especially Eternal Guardians which is also on my favorites list.

ARC provided in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Ash_P | Mar 8, 2016 |
Fatal Pursuit by Elisabeth Naughton is a 2015 Montlake publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have enjoyed the last two books in this series and was eagerly anticipating Jake and Marley's story. However, I was a little frustrated by the story line in this one and really struggled to get into it.

Marley has worked for Jake, a former SEAL and current CEO of Aegis, dutifully for over three years. But, her boss continues to hold her back, refusing to allow her to do field work, and it's slowly killing her inside. When Jake pulls a stunt that proves his arrogance and lack of appreciation of her, she throws in the towel. Right on the heels of that monumental decision, she gets a phone call from an old boyfriend, a man she believed was dead, begging her to help him. So, with no job, and nothing to lose, Marley travels to South America to rescue the man she once considered marrying.

When Jake discovers Marley is gone, he enlist Eve to help locate her, then takes off after her, thus beginning a fatal pursuit.

The previous installments of this series had a kind of stylish quality to them this one lacked. The suspense wasn't nearly as tense and the action was muted. In fact, the mystery was flat and predictable, as it was pretty much spelled out for us that something was awfully fishy about this whole set up.

What was frustrating was Marley's gullibility which is something a person so well suited to field work could ill afford. I expected more from her than just an ability to survive in the jungle. She needed to work that brain of hers on all cylinders, and stop making impressing Jake the more important goal.

The foray the couple takes into a native village was a detour that took the story way off course, and while I am certainly not an expert on native tribes, or their rituals and ceremonies, this part of the story seemed highly implausible and a fairly ridiculous way of getting Jake and Marley to loosen up around each other.

Finally, the story gets back to the original thread regarding the search for Marley's friend. Once the man is located the story really flounders. Jake and Marley only had a marginal amount of chemistry between them and Jake was not at all likable. He took liberties by looking into Marley's medical records, and various other invasions of her privacy, is sexist, controlling, and unapologetic about it.

I have also recently discovered that I can't stand the trope involving the female protagonist finally moving out from behind her controlling father's shadow, only to find herself falling in love with a man with those very same traits. But, at least Marley doesn't sacrifice her convictions to rationalize a relationship with Jake, accepting and putting up with his treatment of her, and folding to his will. No, Jake will have to redeem himself and it looks like he's going to drop the ball. Until.....

Well, I must grudgingly admit Jake really pulls off a 180, goes down grand gesture avenue, and I almost forgot about his prior behavior, as a result. He really did tone down his bossiness, although it still peaks through here and there at times.

So, while this was not the best book in this series, the conclusion of the book offset some of the complaints I had with the story, but not enough to push the rating up to a higher level. This one gets 3 stars ( )
  gpangel | Aug 14, 2015 |
Marley has worked for Aegis for over three years now and she's capable of doing everything in the team that the guys do, and she does it very well. But her boss Jake, insists that she takes the assignments that are close to home and even sometimes he keeps information from her. When a past love asks for her help, she immediately agrees, especially as she thought he had died 5yrs. ago. When Jake hears the news, he chases after her to Columbia and as well as learning how capable Marley really is in the field they discover new feelings for each other. But when her old lover is rescued, the problems begin.
There's definitely a lot of chemistry between Marley and Jake, but they both try and fight against it, and their time in the jungle was fun. There's plenty of mystery and intrigue, and two men but only one woman.....who will win?
A great suspense/romance, I loved it! ( )
  JulieD2 | Aug 4, 2015 |
I read this whole book without realizing I was reading number 3 in the series! I did wonder about it, as there are other couples mentioned that probably have a great back-story, but that's the beauty of these books; you can really just pick up anywhere in the series, enjoy it, and then go back and read the others. Kudos to the author for that! There's nothing worse than accidentally picking up a book in the middle of the series and being completely lost and that was certainly not the case here.

Falling for your boss is probably never a good idea, and nobody understands that better than Marley Addison. She has it bad for the CEO of Aegis, Jake Ryder, who is emotionally closed off and barely seems to register that Marley is female, let alone girlfriend material. I definitely get the appeal of the unattainable hot boss though and didn't blame her for lusting after him, even though he did seem like kind of a tool sometimes. My feelings toward Marley changed throughout the novel. At first, I thought she was meek, with no backbone, who just said yes to whatever other people wanted. Once the story progressed, she actually stood up to Jake. Often, in fact. Then towards the end, she goes back to just doing things to make other people happy. I wish she could have just stuck to her guns; I get that she was more than a little confused considering her ex, whom she thought was dead, was actually alive, but some of the choices she made had me shaking my head. I liked Jake's character better, mostly because we see him evolve as the story progresses. He goes from completely closed off and cocky, to emotionally open to Marley, although not without difficulty. He did have a rather sexist view of women in the beginning, not allowing Marley to go with them on field missions (although I guess you could chalk this up to him wanting to protect her) and basically thinking she was going to worthless in the jungle. Luckily she showed him that she can handle herself...most of the time anyway. There were multiple times I wanted to slap both of them upside the head; I can deal with characters having second thoughts on if they should be together, but after about the third time one of them ran out after sex, I wanted to rip my hair out.

Speaking of, the sex scenes were really hot, even if I knew the warm fuzzy feelings between them would be short lived afterward. The moment that stood out the most to me was when they are at the village in the jungle. I don't know how to explain it without giving too much away, but in this moment all of their reservations, insecurities, doubts, and fears were stripped away and it was incredibly steamy.

I don't feel like there were any huge surprises or twists in Fatal Pursuit. While I didn't know exactly how it would end, it was more or less what I expected. I still enjoyed the journey, however, and the interactions between Marley and Jake were always entertaining. As I said before, other couples were present, such as Eve and Zane, so I am looking forward to reading the previous two books to see how they ended up together as well. ( )
  luckydevilreviews | Jul 21, 2015 |
Contemporary Romantic Suspense

Marley Addison is the op manager for Aegis Security and five years ago her lover died in a South American raid that went horribly wrong, at least that is what she thought. She receives a phone call telling her that he is actually alive and in danger. Marley vows to bring him home safely even if she has been kept out of the field for the last few years by Aegis CEO and former Navy SEAL Jake Ryder. Jake then shows up in Columbia to help, leaving Marley annoyed. It also makes her a little distracted by a boss that is alarmingly handsome.

With things between Marley and Jake heating up in the wilderness they find that their rescue mission is filled with treachery. Jake is domineering but finds himself having to rely on Marley for survival. When their mission takes a shocking and deadly turn can Marley depend on Jake?

This is part of a series that can be read as a standalone book. When readers read this one they will want to read the first books in the series as this proves to be an intense and amazing series. The action is almost nonstop and makes for a book that is very hard to put down as readers will want to know what is going to happen next. The suspense keeps going until the end and will have readers trying to guess just what is going on with all the different characters. It will also have readers wanting to read more from this series.

Received a review copy ( )
  lrhubble | Jun 28, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,724,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible