The Witch of Bourbon Street: A Novel by…

The Witch of Bourbon Street: A Novel

by Suzanne Palmieri

Loved It

Wonderful Louisiana bayou setting and the characters speak varying degrees of patois. Mysterious magical story, beautifully written. Love this series. ( )
  Gcleare | Oct 16, 2016 |
I absolutely love these books! There are well written and the story line keeps you glued to the pages from beginning to end.This one dealt with my favorite region in the world, the bayous of New Orleans, With so many truism's I'll just give you a few to think on, "Though each person in the world is born with a purpose, we're never given maps that take us there. And most times, it's the tragic things that lead us straight to our rightful place." And this one, " The only time we ever see clearly what we have is right before we're about ot lose it for good." Read all three you won't want them to end! ( )
  mchwest | Sep 3, 2015 |
Yes, some of this novel was very predictable and yes, some of the lines were a bit corny but this was the prefect beach read. I mean you have the Sorrow Family, a family said to be witches and to have mysterious powers and then Bourbon Street and a crumbling down mansion with a mysterious past. On top of that you have a long past mystery of a whole family, at that mansion, that was found dead, a missing child, and a current family that is as strange as they are interesting. The pat will affect the present in pressing ways and finally the truth of what happened cannot be denied. Loved every inch of this novel and could have read on. Butt like all good things it ended and so did my beach vacation. ( )
  Beamis12 | Sep 3, 2015 |
The Sorrow family is just that, a family filled with history of sorrow. Due to a tragedy in 1901, the subsequent generations of Sorrows have had to deal with the idea that their family is cursed. The Sorrow women consist of Frances (Frankie), her mother Claudette, and her grandmother Dida. Claudette suffered a tragic injury causing blindness when she was only four years old. Her lover and father to Frankie drowned in an accident at sea. Frankie has turned her back on the world because she feels guilt over an incident that occurred when she was sixteen years old. Frankie's son Jack has decided to take it upon himself to bring his parents back together using whatever magic he can work. The Witch of Bourbon Street is a multigenerational story that weaves magic in with love lost, love found, family, and forgiveness.

There are a lot of characters to keep track of in this story. We have Frances "Frankie" Sorrow and her family: Belinda "Dida" Sorrow (grandmother), Old Jim Green (grandfather), Claudette "Claudie" Sorrow (mother), Daniel Amore (ex-husband and father to Jack), Jack Amore (Frankie's son), Millie Bliss (Jackie’s best friend and surrogate sister), and Sippie Wallace (Frankie's daughter). The supporting cast includes: Eight Track (Sippie's adoptive father), Simone (Sippie's deceased adoptive mother), Junebug (the bartender at Voodoo), and Mr. Craven (historical society worker) . . . and a lot of ghosts. There's the bar at 13 Bourbon Street in New Orleans that is owned by the Sorrow family, the Voodoo bar in Tivoli Parish that is managed by Millie, the bayou, and the Sorrow family estate. Add in a family history of witchcraft and magic along with the hidden story behind the tragedy of 1901 and you've got all the makings for a somewhat convoluted yet intriguing story that spans generations and time.

I found The Witch of Bourbon Street to be a bit confusing a first simply because it was bouncing back and forth in time (1901 and the present), and then bouncing between perspectives. Once I had all of the major characters clear in my head and their relationships to one another it was a bit easier to keep track of everything. The story really began to pick up when Sippie located her biological family and was reunited with them. There's quite a bit of backstory that has to be dealt with before we get to the action precipitated by Jack's disappearance. Can Frankie and Danny overcome their differences and build a lasting relationship? Will Frankie, Danny, and Sippie be able to find Jack? What's the mystery behind the Sorrow family tragedy in 1901? These questions and many more are answered fully when the past and present overlap in The Witch of Bourbon Street. This story is perfect for anyone that enjoys reading about love, forgiveness, and family drama with hints of magic. ( )
  BookDivasReads | Aug 7, 2015 |
I just finished The Witch of Bourbon Street by Suzanne Palmieri. The book starts off in 1901 with all but one member of the Sorrow family dead. People believe Sister Vesta Grace killed off the family while others think it was the voodoo witch, Rosella. The truth has not come out in all these years.

Back in 2014, Frances Green Sorrow has hidden herself away on her family estate in a small shack. She has left behind her husband (they are now divorced), her son, Jack, her friends, and family. Frances does not leave the area. She quit running the bar at 13 Bourbon Street and doing tarot readings for clients. The Sorrow family is magical, but Frances has not used her gifts in many years. Why did she hide herself away? Is she ready to come out of hiding and rejoin her family?

Sippie Wallace is the adopted daughter of Simone (committed suicide when she was six) and Eight Track (a drunk and drifter). Sippie is sixteen years old and on her own. The Crow has come to give her a message. The Crow has taught her things all her life. Now it is time to find her biological family.

Danny Amore is Frances’ ex-husband (he is a shrimper with the boat The Gypsy Witch). He has custody of their son, Jack Amore Sorrow. Jack wants to spend more time with his mother at the Sorrow estate. He has gifts and wants to embrace them. Jack has a plan to get his parents back together. He has made a plan to run away and wait for his parents to come together to find him (he goes to a shack across the canal from his mother). Jack is confident his plan will work (he is twelve). He has only told one person about his plan and that is Millie. Millie grew up with Frances. She came to the family when she was six years old and Frances was four years old. Millie has been acting strange lately. She is lashing out at everyone.

The Witch of Bourbon Street is told from different points of view throughout the book. Frances, Sippie, Millie, Danny, and Jack (it changes with each chapter). Some of the dialogue is written as though they are talking with New Orleans accent (which is hard to understand and figure out depending upon who is talking). The Witch of Bourbon Street is a strange and depressing book. It was hard to get into with the way it kept jumping from one person to the next. It does contain a copious amount of foul language (which is really not needed). The book got a little better towards the end when all the story lines starting coming together. I give The Witch of Bourbon Street 2.5 out of 5 stars. I thought this would be a wonderful and magical book, but I was incorrect. There is very little magic in the book (there are some ghosts though).

I received a complimentary copy of The Witch of Bourbon Street in exchange for an honest review. The review and opinions expressed are my own. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jun 27, 2015 |

Suzanne Palmieri is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,142,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible