Does this Beach Make Me Look Fat? True…

Does this Beach Make Me Look Fat? True Stories and Confessions

by Lisa Scottoline, Francesca Serritella, Francesca Serritella

Lisa Scottoline and her daughter Fransesca have combined well to write this rib-tickling memoir - the sixth in a series. If you've read the first five I need hardly tell you how great this book is and if you've not, now's the time to start.

Since I'm around Lisa's age I could relate really well to her hilarious stories in a 'been there done that' kind of way. However, I could also nod knowingly at Fransesca's stories.

The mother/daughter duo have come up with another winner and this book will make a great addition to your summer reading. ( )
  Writermala | Jul 22, 2015 |
The new collection by Lisa Scottoline and her daughter Francesca Serritella has become a welcome addition to my reading pile every year. Culled from their column in a Philadelphia paper, I live way too far away to see them in newsprint and have never explored looking it up online. I prefer to wait for the book every year and as usual, I wasn't disappointed. I have been watching Francesca navigate NYC, watching Lisa return to bike riding and watching them both handle the vagaries of life with charm and wit. Whether you're an animal lover or a family lover, these stories always hit home with a smile. ( )
  ethel55 | Jul 10, 2015 |
I am absolutely amazed by how closely I can relate to these authors. This collection of humorous essays made me chuckle often and tear up occasionally. I have read quite a few of Lisa Scottoline's books and have even stood in line to have her sign my book exactly twice. Both of these authors have a phenomenal sense of humor.

If you are looking for a book with a plot, this isn't that kind of book. This a collection of very short stories that share a few observations and give you just a peek into their world. This is the perfect book to read just a bit at a time. Each story takes just a few minutes and can put a smile on your face almost instantly. I actually think that this would be the perfect book to load on a smart phone and read anytime you find yourself waiting somewhere.

I could relate to both author's writing almost equally. I have been out of the dating scene for a while and although I may sometimes think fondly of that time, this book reminded me that it really wasn't all that much fun. When they talked about Mother Mary's hospice care, I couldn't help but tear up but not because the story was told in a depressing manner. They both talked about that time in such an honest and realistic manner that it brought back a lot of memories and I like to remember so that's a good thing.

Most of the book is a light and fun. I would bet that most women will find something to relate to in this book because they hit on a wide range of subjects. This book talks about friends, diets, movies, dogs, cats, Bradley Cooper, boyfriends, fitbits, subways, ponies, and a whole list of other topics. There were even a few pictures that helped bring the story to life. I love pictures. There were sections of the book that I read aloud to my husband - not because he cares about what I am reading but I just loved what was being said so much that I felt like I had to share it with someone and he was available.

I would highly recommend this book to others. I have read a lot of Lisa Scottoline's work but only one other humorous novel which I also enjoyed. I plan to work my way through the rest of these books soon and hope that there are a lot more to come in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Jul 5, 2015 |
Does This Beach Make Me Look Fat? by a bestselling mother and daughter duo, Lisa Scottoline & Francesca Serritella, sounds off on everything you can imagine, and it had me hooting with laughter in minutes. I had read novels in Lisa Scottoline’s bestselling Rosato & DiNunzio mystery/thriller series. I had also heard her speak at a book festival, so I knew she had a fun sense of humor. This collection of essays shows that her daughter inherited that trait along with some mad writing skills. If you’re a woman looking for a book to take along on vacation that can be read in snippets as you have time, and one that will tickle your funny bone, this just might be the one you’re looking for. Find out more at http://popcornreads.com/?p=8433. ( )
  PopcornReads | Jun 9, 2015 |
This collection of stories from the Scottoline’s (mother and daughter team) is humorous as they individually explain their lives and observations in a lighthearted tone. I have always enjoy Lisa’s column in the paper and she tells about being a middle aged woman brings a smile to me. Her daughter’s Francesca’s take on dating and living in NYC city is also funny. Together they make a great team. I appreciated these little glimpses into their lives. ( )
  grumpydan | May 23, 2015 |

Scottoline, Lisaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Serritella, Francescamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Serritella, Francescamain authorall editionsconfirmed

"The unstoppable, irreverent mother-daughter team presents a new collection of funny stories and true confessions that every woman can relate to. From identity theft to the hazards of bicycling to college reunions and eating on the beach, Lisa and Francesca tackle the quirks, absurdities, and wonders of everyday life with wit and warmth. As Lisa says, "More and more, especially in the summertime when I'm sitting on the beach, I'm learning not to sweat it. To go back to the child that I used to be. To see myself through the loving eyes of my parents. To eat on the beach. And not to worry about whether every little thing makes me look fat. In fact, not to worry at all." So put aside your worries and join Lisa and Francesca as they navigate their way through the crazy world we live in, laughing along the way"-- "Lisa and Francesca are back with another collection of warm and witty stories that will strike a chord with every woman. This five book series is among the best reviewed humor books published today and has been compared to the late greats, Erma Bombeck and Nora Ephron. Delia Ephron said of the fifth book in the series, Have a Nice Guilt Trip, "Lisa and Francesca, mother and daughter, bring you the laughter of their lives once again and better than ever. You will identify with these tales of guilt and fall in love with them and fierce (grand)Mother Mary." This sixth volume will not disappoint as it hits the humorous and poignant note that fans have come to expect from the beloved mother-daughter duo"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,242,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible