Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

Heart-Shaped Box (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Joe Hill (Author)

Member:civitas
Title:Heart-Shaped Box
Authors:Joe Hill (Author)
Info:Morrow (2007), Edition: Number Line: 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Books owned, Have Read, do: weed
Rating:**1/2
Tags:a: book, a: novel, fiction, genre: supernatural, genre: horror, 21st Century, written: 2011, {read: 2013}, {cover: LT}, {L:H???}

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (2007)

John Dies at the End by David Wong (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: Same relentless style with a supernatural theme.
    Ghost Radio: A Novel by Leopoldo Gout (asphyxiad0ll)
    Gone South by Robert McCammon (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: Another weird road-trip to the Deep South.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.

English (236)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Romanian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (248)
This is horror at its finest and not for the faint-hearted. Ex heavy metal rock 'n roller Judas Coyne has an interest in the dark arts. He can't resist 'buying' a ghost on The Internet (technically, a haunted suit). Trouble ensues! ... Judas is no Boy Scout but as the ghost hunts him down, the reader can't help but root for this anti-hero to prevail. ( )
  mjspear | Sep 5, 2014 |
Loved it!! Joe is definitely a chip off the old block! The story was genuinely creepy and original--I just haven't seen that many horror stories out there about actual ghosts. I thought it was very well done and he's a credit to his (real) name! Can't wait to read his next one (there was an excerpt at the end of this one, so I'm already hooked)! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
One word: WOW!

I am a huge Stephen King fan (though I don't think I have reviewed much of his stuff on LT) and when I found out that Joe Hill was his son I figured I would check out to see if I would like his books as much as his dad's. It is AMAZING--especially for a first novel!
Hill delves into some "other world-ness" like King does, but in a different way. In this book he did a remarkable job taking on some issues that are not necessarily comfortable. His writing definitely engages you and the way he writes some of his chapters definitely keeps the reader engaged. I am definitely going to check out his other novels (especially ( )
  NeddieB | Jun 12, 2014 |
A good debut. Occasionally some nice descriptive lines throughout the novel. I will read another Joe Hill book. ( )
  vwriter | Jun 12, 2014 |
Full Review: http://tenaciousreader.wordpress.com/2014/02/06/heart-shaped-box-by-joe-hill/

the book is dark and haunting. There are thrilling and tense moments, scenes that make you squeamish, events that you just didn’t see coming. I love all these things about Joe Hill’s books. And Heart-Shaped Box definitely delivered on all accounts. That said, this is also one of the darkest books I have read. Not sure if everyone will find it that way, but I did. Personally, I prefer Horns or NOS4A2 or even Locke and Key, and will recommend those first but this story is also worth reading and is still probably a must read for fans of Joe Hill’s other books. ( )
  tenaciousreader | May 24, 2014 |
Infatuated with Heart-Shaped Box:

I enjoyed this book from author Joe Hill so much that I'm struggling to decide where to begin.

At the time I learned of this book, I was intrigued by the description and felt it was right up my alley. It was perfectly clear that Mr. Hill wished to be evaluated strictly on his own merits alone, so I didn't for one minute expect, nor desire, a miniature Stephen King. I'm so glad that I got exactly what I'd hoped for.

"Heart-Shaped Box" sucked me in right from the very first page and held my attention through the turn of the back cover. The story was extremely well-written, easy to follow, and complex enough to garner the attention of even the most widely read bibliophiles and horror aficionados.

I've yet to find an offering of Mr. Hill's so keenly in tune with my preferences as a reader. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a truly original and suspenseful horror story.
added by LadyOberon | editAmazon, Kelly Truelove (Jun 10, 2014)

"Heart-Shaped Box" truly deserves the superlatives heaped upon it by the publicists who smoothed the path of this first novel's advent.

Simply put, this is the best debut novel I have read in years.

Hill masterfully keeps the action moving and the drama escalating, giving readers just enough revelations to keep them on board this Southern train of a ghost story.

While I would not go so far as to hand Joe Hill his father's crown just yet, this debut is a promising start. It's safe to say a new contender for the throne has arrived.

Information from the Norwegian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
How may the dead have destinations?

—Alan Moore, Voice of the Fire
For my dad, one of the good ones
Jude had a private collection.

Middle-aged rock star Judas Coyne collects morbid curios, so he doesn't think twice about buying a suit advertised at an online auction site as haunted by its dead owner's ghost. Only after it arrives does Jude discover that the suit belonged to Craddock McDermott, the stepfather of one of Coyne's discarded groupies, and that the old man's ghost is a malignant spirit determined to kill Judas in revenge for his stepdaughter's suicide. Judas and his girlfriend take to the road in an attempt to run from the ghost and to find a way to stop it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061147931, Hardcover)

Do you sleep with the light on? Are you in the habit of checking your doors and windows before you go to bed? Maybe even checking under your bed? If you are about to crack open Joe Hill's chilling thriller Heart-Shaped Box, you might want to rethink your nighttime habits--Hill's story about an aging rock star (with a penchant for macabre artifacts) who buys a haunted suit online will scare you silly. But don't take our word for it. We asked bestselling authors (and masters of dark terror tales themselves) Scott Smith, and Harlan Coben to read Heart-Shaped Box and give us their take. Check out their reviews below, and you might want to pick up a nightlight while you're at it. --Daphne Durham
Guest Reviewer: Scott Smith

In 1993, Scott Smith wowed readers with his stunning debut thriller, A Simple Plan. Thirteen years later, he spooked us again with The Ruins, a horror-thriller about four Americans traveling in Mexico who stumble across a nightmare in the jungle.

The set-up for Joe Hill's novel, Heart-Shaped Box, is appealingly simple. Jude Coyne, an aging rock star, buys himself a dead man's suit. He acquires it online, lured by the promise that the dead man's ghost will be included in his purchase. Jude thinks this is a joke, of course. He also assumes the seller is a stranger. We soon discover that he's wrong on both counts, however, and from this point on the story moves with an exhilarating urgency. Jude wants the ghost gone; the ghost wants Jude dead. We watch, chapter-by-chapter, as they battle for survival. "Watch" is the appropriate word, too, because this is an extremely visual book. Hill's prose is lean and precise, and he renders Jude's world with impressive confidence. It feels solid, every detail both correct and fresh. And this physicality provides a firm platform for the book's otherworldly happenings, which seem all the more frightening for being so securely grounded.

Hill has a flawless sense of pacing. His narrative never flags, nor does it ever move so quickly as to outrun itself. And one can sense his literary ambition pushing at the margins of the genre. There are times when his writing, for all its spare efficiency, seems to jump away from him, stopping one small step short of poetry. An e-mail to Jude from the ghost (trust me, it's not as absurd as it sounds) could even pass for something ee cummings might've written, in an especially morbid mood. And toward the end of the book, when Hill describes a trip down death's "night road" in a '65 Mustang, the passage has a startlingly lyrical beauty.

The story's horror ultimately has as much to do with Jude Coyne's past--his mistakes, abandonments and betrayals--as with anything supernatural. Jude has caused a lot of pain over the years, moving through life with a carelessness that verges on the callous. His battle with the ghost brings this behavior into sharp relief, forcing him to reflect upon his own capacity for cruelty. This dawning self-awareness leavens the book's bleakness and gore (and it is delightfully gory in places) with an unexpected sweetness. Despite our initial impression, Jude is gradually revealed--both to himself and the reader--as an essentially decent, even kind man. It's this kindness, this fledgling ability to love and be loved, that will ultimately be of crucial consequence in his death struggle with the ghost. And it's what makes Hill's debut not only well-written and terrifying, but also--as it draws to its close--surprisingly moving. So go ahead, take a chance, and open his Heart-Shaped Box. I think you’ll be happy you did. --Scott Smith

Guest Reviewer: Harlan Coben

Harlan Coben is the author of the beloved Myron Bolitar series about a wisecracking sports agent, as well as stunning stand-alone novels like The Innocent and his breakout thriller Tell No One. His new novel The Woods releases on April 17, 2007.

You, dear reader, are obviously somewhat versed in making online purchases, so today, immediately after you click on the yellow "Add to Shopping Cart" on the top right hand corner of this page, why not do an online search and buy something totally unique?

Like, say, a vengeful ghost.

That is what rock-star Judas Coyne does, thinking it will be a laugh, fun for his "sick-o" collection of such things. It seems a random buy, but Judas soon learns that it is anything but. This particular ghost is one Craddock McDermott, step-father to recent suicide victim and boy, is he cranky. He demands revenge for his step-daughter’s death, which he blames on Judas’s shabby treatment of her.

Or is he after something else?

There are Amazon readers who will give you a better plot summary. Don't read them too closely because Joe Hill provides plenty of fun surprises. Heart-Shaped Box is a true spine-tingler. I don’t use that hyphenated word much anymore. We have seen and read it all, haven't we? But right away, in the first chapter, there was a subtle line that made the hairs on the back of my neck go up in a way I haven't experienced since I first discovered great horror as a teenager.

Hill writes with a sure hand. The prose is compelling. Like most memorable tales of horror, this book is more about redemption than scary moments--though Heart-Shaped Box has plenty of scares. They are visceral, shocking and very well done. The characters are flawed and real. The father-son relationship adds texture and surprising poignancy.

So here's the thing. My guess is, you won’t find a ghost to buy online, but if you read the Heart-Shaped Box, you will be getting something that will haunt you and startle you and stay with you and yes, visit you in your dreams.

Sleep well, dear reader. --Harlan Coben

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:24 -0400)

A collector of obscure and macabre artifacts, unscrupulous metal band musician Judas Coyne is unable to resist purchasing a ghost over the Internet, which turns out to be the vengeful spirit of his late girlfriend's stepfather.

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,782,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible