Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

Heart-Shaped Box (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Joe Hill (Author)

4,6202891,032 (3.75)340
Member:civitas
Title:Heart-Shaped Box
Authors:Joe Hill (Author)
Info:Morrow (2007), Edition: Number Line: 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0, Paperback
Collections:Your library, books, have read, do
Rating:**1/2
Tags:.edition, =book, a: novel, fiction, genre: supernatural, genre: horror, century: 21st, written: 2011, _read: 2013, _cover (lt), _Lh???, •remove, =binding (tpb)

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill (2007)

Ghost Radio: A Novel by Leopoldo Gout (asphyxiad0ll)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: Same relentless style with a supernatural theme.
    Gone South by Robert McCammon (5hrdrive)
    5hrdrive: Another weird road-trip to the Deep South.
    Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Different types of plots, but both great examples of what newer writers are accomplishing in the horror genre.

English (279)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Danish (1)  Romanian (1)  English (1)  German (1)  French (1)  English (289)
Heart-Shaped Box is one of the scariest books out there. It is about an out-and-out possession-taking, kill-you-in-your-sleep, make-you-crazy-and-not-in-a-good-way ghost that comes to our aging rocker hero in a box he's won at auction. As the story progresses, you learn that this auction was no mistake and someone's out for revenge. While working at Barnes & Noble, I hand sold these to anyone who was looking for a good scare. Joe Hill takes his father's (Stephen King) type of story, clears out all the clutter, and leaves only the scariest, most intense bits. Try him, you'll like him. ( )
  ouroborosangel | Nov 30, 2016 |
awesome! This is not the first I've read from Joe Hill but it is my favorite to date. I really enjoyed the story itself but the narration on the audiobook added so very much more to the flavor and mood. Stephen Lang does a remarkable job with characterization and voices. His ghost voice is positively chilling yet seductive. This was the perfect October listen. Great ghost story. ( )
  enemyanniemae | Nov 8, 2016 |
When musician Judas Coyne's assistant half-jokingly mentions a ghost currently for sale on an auction website, Judas is immediately intrigued and requests that they purchase it immediately. Soon enough, an old suit arrives in the mail, and with it the ghost -- a shadowy figure who, it soon becomes apparent, is intent on revenge.

I wanted to like Heart-Shaped Box more than I genuinely did, expecting, I think, something slightly creepier. I enjoyed Hill's writing style, however, and I would gladly sample another of his works. This would make a decent vacation/beach read. ( )
  ryner | Sep 30, 2016 |
When I hear lots of stories about a book (positive or negative), I usually want to check out for myself what the fuss is about. That is, when the book in question belongs to a genre I read.
This book is such a book.

And from the very first pages it grabbed me and didn't let go. A book with a good story, horror, a bit of detective too, a combibation that I liked a lot.
Not that I liked Jude very much untill I was half way the book, but that's not very important.
I had no idea how the story would end. One thing led to another and there was no way of telling where things were going. I like that in a book.

I want to read more by this writer! ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Sep 28, 2016 |
I liked it.

I read much of his other work before this first one, and I was struck by how much he sounded like his dad (Stephen King) in this one. That's not a bad thing! His later works, he finds more of his own voice. I particularly liked Horns.

Anyway, this book was good - held my interest, and was truly scary - had me spooked when I turned out the lights! I do agree with other reviews that it could have been just a tad shorter.

But the characters were well-rounded and skillfully portrayed.

Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
"Heart-Shaped Box" truly deserves the superlatives heaped upon it by the publicists who smoothed the path of this first novel's advent.

Simply put, this is the best debut novel I have read in years.

Hill masterfully keeps the action moving and the drama escalating, giving readers just enough revelations to keep them on board this Southern train of a ghost story.

While I would not go so far as to hand Joe Hill his father's crown just yet, this debut is a promising start. It's safe to say a new contender for the throne has arrived.

Heart-Shaped Box isn't about appeasing fathers, and learning to love them, and seeing that they, too, are human beings and not monsters. It's not about that at all. It's about knowing your father, and finding him, and then killing him. That's what the best artists do.

Hill, Joeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Belt, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kolstad, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Müller, WolfgangTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mortensen, Hans PalleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosier, ValérieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sierra, Julio A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the English Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
How may the dead have destinations?

—Alan Moore, Voice of the Fire
For my dad, one of the good ones
Jude had a private collection.

Middle-aged rock star Judas Coyne collects morbid curios, so he doesn't think twice about buying a suit advertised at an online auction site as haunted by its dead owner's ghost. Only after it arrives does Jude discover that the suit belonged to Craddock McDermott, the stepfather of one of Coyne's discarded groupies, and that the old man's ghost is a malignant spirit determined to kill Judas in revenge for his stepdaughter's suicide. Judas and his girlfriend take to the road in an attempt to run from the ghost and to find a way to stop it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061147931, Hardcover)

Do you sleep with the light on? Are you in the habit of checking your doors and windows before you go to bed? Maybe even checking under your bed? If you are about to crack open Joe Hill's chilling thriller Heart-Shaped Box, you might want to rethink your nighttime habits--Hill's story about an aging rock star (with a penchant for macabre artifacts) who buys a haunted suit online will scare you silly. But don't take our word for it. We asked bestselling authors (and masters of dark terror tales themselves) Scott Smith, and Harlan Coben to read Heart-Shaped Box and give us their take. Check out their reviews below, and you might want to pick up a nightlight while you're at it. --Daphne Durham
Guest Reviewer: Scott Smith

In 1993, Scott Smith wowed readers with his stunning debut thriller, A Simple Plan. Thirteen years later, he spooked us again with The Ruins, a horror-thriller about four Americans traveling in Mexico who stumble across a nightmare in the jungle.

The set-up for Joe Hill's novel, Heart-Shaped Box, is appealingly simple. Jude Coyne, an aging rock star, buys himself a dead man's suit. He acquires it online, lured by the promise that the dead man's ghost will be included in his purchase. Jude thinks this is a joke, of course. He also assumes the seller is a stranger. We soon discover that he's wrong on both counts, however, and from this point on the story moves with an exhilarating urgency. Jude wants the ghost gone; the ghost wants Jude dead. We watch, chapter-by-chapter, as they battle for survival. "Watch" is the appropriate word, too, because this is an extremely visual book. Hill's prose is lean and precise, and he renders Jude's world with impressive confidence. It feels solid, every detail both correct and fresh. And this physicality provides a firm platform for the book's otherworldly happenings, which seem all the more frightening for being so securely grounded.

Hill has a flawless sense of pacing. His narrative never flags, nor does it ever move so quickly as to outrun itself. And one can sense his literary ambition pushing at the margins of the genre. There are times when his writing, for all its spare efficiency, seems to jump away from him, stopping one small step short of poetry. An e-mail to Jude from the ghost (trust me, it's not as absurd as it sounds) could even pass for something ee cummings might've written, in an especially morbid mood. And toward the end of the book, when Hill describes a trip down death's "night road" in a '65 Mustang, the passage has a startlingly lyrical beauty.

The story's horror ultimately has as much to do with Jude Coyne's past--his mistakes, abandonments and betrayals--as with anything supernatural. Jude has caused a lot of pain over the years, moving through life with a carelessness that verges on the callous. His battle with the ghost brings this behavior into sharp relief, forcing him to reflect upon his own capacity for cruelty. This dawning self-awareness leavens the book's bleakness and gore (and it is delightfully gory in places) with an unexpected sweetness. Despite our initial impression, Jude is gradually revealed--both to himself and the reader--as an essentially decent, even kind man. It's this kindness, this fledgling ability to love and be loved, that will ultimately be of crucial consequence in his death struggle with the ghost. And it's what makes Hill's debut not only well-written and terrifying, but also--as it draws to its close--surprisingly moving. So go ahead, take a chance, and open his Heart-Shaped Box. I think you’ll be happy you did. --Scott Smith

Guest Reviewer: Harlan Coben

Harlan Coben is the author of the beloved Myron Bolitar series about a wisecracking sports agent, as well as stunning stand-alone novels like The Innocent and his breakout thriller Tell No One. His new novel The Woods releases on April 17, 2007.

You, dear reader, are obviously somewhat versed in making online purchases, so today, immediately after you click on the yellow "Add to Shopping Cart" on the top right hand corner of this page, why not do an online search and buy something totally unique?

Like, say, a vengeful ghost.

That is what rock-star Judas Coyne does, thinking it will be a laugh, fun for his "sick-o" collection of such things. It seems a random buy, but Judas soon learns that it is anything but. This particular ghost is one Craddock McDermott, step-father to recent suicide victim and boy, is he cranky. He demands revenge for his step-daughter’s death, which he blames on Judas’s shabby treatment of her.

Or is he after something else?

There are Amazon readers who will give you a better plot summary. Don't read them too closely because Joe Hill provides plenty of fun surprises. Heart-Shaped Box is a true spine-tingler. I don’t use that hyphenated word much anymore. We have seen and read it all, haven't we? But right away, in the first chapter, there was a subtle line that made the hairs on the back of my neck go up in a way I haven't experienced since I first discovered great horror as a teenager.

Hill writes with a sure hand. The prose is compelling. Like most memorable tales of horror, this book is more about redemption than scary moments--though Heart-Shaped Box has plenty of scares. They are visceral, shocking and very well done. The characters are flawed and real. The father-son relationship adds texture and surprising poignancy.

So here's the thing. My guess is, you won’t find a ghost to buy online, but if you read the Heart-Shaped Box, you will be getting something that will haunt you and startle you and stay with you and yes, visit you in your dreams.

Sleep well, dear reader. --Harlan Coben

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

A collector of obscure and macabre artifacts, unscrupulous metal band musician Judas Coyne is unable to resist purchasing a ghost over the Internet, which turns out to be the vengeful spirit of his late girlfriend's stepfather.

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,723,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible