The Gluten Lie: And Other Myths About What…

The Gluten Lie: And Other Myths About What You Eat

by Alan Levinovitz

(bab) (2) 2015 (1) 2017 (1) ab (1) April (1) chan (1) diet (3) eb (1) essay-opinons (1) fads (1) food (4) food fashion (1) gluten-free (2) health (3) kindle e-book (1) medicine (1) NF (1) non-fiction (3) nutrition (1) public library (1) Q1 16 (1) read (2) reference (1) sci (1) science (2) scotts (1) to-check-out (1) to-read (4) to-read-nonfiction (1) tx-nutrition (1)

Entertaining look at food fads and why we shouldn't take them too seriously. As a gluten-sensitive person I know all about actual food issues and this book is a good antidote to a lot of the food paranoid books I've read over the last while.

Sometimes I think he doesn't see that sometimes people's paranoia is justified. That monocultures of foods in order to make the maximum profit is putting our food in danger and that sometimes a little paranoia is a good thing. Still it was a good read and I liked the Diet and it's breakdown. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Apr 10, 2017 |
I love gluten, fat, sugar and salt, and think dieting and cleansing are a crock, so this seemed right up my alley. However, as a work, it was just so disjointed and slapped together...it's like the author just keeps repeating his same "truths" over and over and over and over and over and over (yeah, just like that). It's also very clear this isn't a scientific work, in that the author has a clear and obvious bias. He's not trying to be neutral or impartial - he's got an axe to grind, and boy does he grind away. Wish I had thrown in the towel after chapter one rather than wading through the rest of this toxic mess. ( )
  ingrid98684 | Dec 31, 2015 |
I have to say, first off, I really hate the packaging on this book. You look at it, you see the title, the cover, and you think this is another fad-diet debunking book. Which would be awesome: fad-diet-debunking books are generally fun. But this is not your run-of-the-mill diet-myth book. Levinovitz's Ph.D isn't in biochemistry or anything like that: it's in religion (he's a professor of Chinese religious traditions), and he starts the book off with another group who disdained grains: ancient Chinese monks. He knows his mythologies.

There is a heavy emphasis on proper scientific research in this book, but also an historical context to the ways that our food mythologies have played out over time, including a 55-page analysis of a sample fad-diet promo. I think he could have done better: the emphasis on the science is so heavy that I felt it displaced some of the unique expertise that Levinovitz brings to the space (perhaps he felt he needed to prove the legitimacy of his perspective?). Still, it is an excellent book. ( )
  Heduanna | Sep 4, 2015 |

Gluten is not the enemy--and neither are salt, sugar, fat, or any foods we eliminate in the quest for optimum health. In fact, most of what we believe about nutrition is based on myth and superstition, not proven science. It's time to stop feeling guilty and start enjoying our food again. Author Alan Levinovitz shows why our problem is not what we eat, but how we eat: full of anxiety about dietary villains like pizza, pasta, steak, and snacks. Unless you suffer from celiac disease or a similar affliction, a proper diet can and should include your favorite foods--and a dose of skepticism for the latest miracle cure. Our food beliefs are shaped not by hard data, but by age-old myths and the lies we are told by huckster physicians. How do we know what to believe? Levinovitz gives you the power to evaluate the latest research for real direction, instead of being led around the grocery store in circles. The Gluten Lie will help you put the bun back on your burger, stop giving into the latest diet fads, and live a happier, healthier, more delicious life.--Adapted from book jacket.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,321,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible