The Adventuress: A Lady Emily Mystery (Lady…

The Adventuress: A Lady Emily Mystery (Lady Emily Mysteries)

by Tasha Alexander

Ugh! I don't know what has happened but it is becoming apparent that Tasha Alexander needs to wrap up this series. I thought the last book was just a random fluke but this book was worse. In fact, the author notes at the back of the book are better written than the novel itself. Two strikes...will I give her three before I'm done? I honestly don't know.

The "action" veers all over the place and the interactions between characters either stops well before a logical finish or continues down into absurdity. The conversations ramble, many times without much sense, and are out of character for everyone except Colin and maybe Cecilé. So many times throughout the book, I had to lay it down and say "What in the world? Why did he/she/they do/say that?" Emily is portrayed alternately as idiotic and stupid and then vapid and desperate. She "threw" herself at Amity "begging" for forgiveness or understanding so many times that I almost put the book down on that alone. Yet, ultimately I wanted it confirmed that it was indeed Amity behind the attempts on Jeremy. Now I'm unsure if that was wise

Speaking of Amity, she is absolutely the stupidest character ever. You can not make me believe that that many London society types (including Jeremy!!) wouldn't have seen through that act in a heartbeat. Yet Jeremy pants after her like a dog in heat. I liked Jeremy and Ms. Alexander appeared to like him too. But come on, Jeremy, you deserve better than that manipulative whining, childish, and spoiled she-dog

All in all, a very disappointing read and 4 hours that I won't get back. To think I could have had a Sunday nap instead. ( )
  MommaTracey | Jul 24, 2017 |
Engagement from Hell!
This book was a lot of fun to read!! Lady Emily's best childhood friend, Jeremy, Duke of Bainbridge, is finally getting married so the entire wedding party and family travel to the French Riviera for a two-week engagement celebration. I think anytime a big group goes on a vacation together it gets interesting and that was the case here. There was family drama, a bitchy bride, a weird brother and then a number of suspicious incidents turn what's suppose to be a happy celebration into the engagement from hell! I really enjoyed the story but I wasn't quite satisfied with the ending.

Lady Emily was supposedly duped and kidnapped by an archaeologist which she is acquainted with and talks with earlier at her hotel yet the ending doesn't really explain how she was duped or what happened to the real archaeologist?? So I definitely think that needs to be clarified and expanded on further.

Other then that, I thought this was a great story and I really enjoyed it!  This is book #10 in the Lady Emily series. You could read it as a stand-alone though but I would recommend starting at book #1 and reading the entire series because they are all excellent!

**I received this ARC from NetGalley and Minotaur Books in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Good entry for this entertaining series. New and interesting setting on The French Riviera; where the engagement of Emily's long time friend,,the Duke of Bainbridge, is to be celebrated. A death by suicide troubles Emily as does the really offensive behavior of Jeremy's fiance and her pushy mother. We wander the sites and sights of Cote d'Azur during the Victorian Era as Emily investigates, is kidnapped and assaulted before she resolves the several murders in this mystery.. ( )
  jamespurcell | Feb 29, 2016 |
Not best in series, but exotic setting and entertaining enough. Reviewed for Booklist. ( )
  jenzbaker | Oct 25, 2015 |
He must needs go that the Devil drives.

--William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well
For Jane and Andrew, remembering our wonderful trip to the south of France.  I am glad it was less eventful than Emily's.
"The English duke is dead."
ISBN 1427263884 is an unabridged audiobook

"Emily and husband Colin have come to the French Riviera for what should be a joyous occasion - the engagement party of her lifelong friend Jeremy, Duke of Bainbridge, and Amity Wells, an American heiress. But the merrymaking is cut short with the shocking death of one of the party in an apparent suicide. Not convinced by the coroner's verdict, Emily must employ all of her investigative skills to discover the truth and avert another tragedy"--… (more)

Tasha Alexander is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,741,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible