Until I Find Julian by Patricia Reilly Giff

Until I Find Julian

by Patricia Reilly Giff

Aiming to up my # of reviews, I'll quick comment on kindle samples I've read lately -- this was one I don't think I need to continue with, as I wasn't captivated.
  lulaa | Nov 11, 2016 |
Julian has illegally crossed the border from Mexico to go work in the United States. After his Abuela (Grandmother) stops hearing from Julian, his little brother, Mateo, goes to find him. He is aided by the mysterious Angel, who helps him cross (unrealistically easily, from what my students have told me) across the border to find his brother. ( )
  Librarian09 | Feb 15, 2016 |
Matteo's journey with Angel across the Mexican/U.S. border to find his brother Julian is almost too smooth. For young readers though, it's a developmentally approachable introduction to the larger issues of illegal immigration: poverty, breaking up of families, dangers of the journey--scaled in a way children can understand. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038574482X, Hardcover)

Newbery Honor–winning author Patricia Reilly Giff tells a vivid, contemporary story about a remarkable boy who risks everything for his family and a bold girl who helps him. At home in Mexico, Mateo knows where he belongs: with Mami, Abuelita, little brother Lucas, and big brother Julian. When Julian leaves to work in el Norte, the United States, Mateo misses him. And when the family stops hearing from Julian, Mateo knows he has to find his beloved brother.
   With only his old notebook and a backpack, Mateo heads for the border, where dangers await: robbers, and the border police, who will send him back home or perhaps even put him in prison. On his journey, Mateo meets Angel, a smart, mysterious girl who can guide his crossing. Angel is tough; so is Mateo, and his memories of his loving family sustain him. Because no matter what happens, he can’t go home until he finds Julian.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Jul 2015 20:20:58 -0400)

"Mateo's big brother Julian works in the United States. When the family doesn't hear from Julian for a few weeks, Mateo sneaks out and journeys north to find him, crossing the border with the help of a new friend, Angel"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,355,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible