Me, My Hair, and I: Twenty-seven Women…

Me, My Hair, and I: Twenty-seven Women Untangle an Obsession

by Elizabeth Benedict (Editor)

Other authors: Elizabeth Benedict (Contributor), Hallie Ephron (Contributor), Deborah Feldman (Contributor), Julia Fierro (Contributor), Ru Freeman (Contributor)22 more, Myra Goldberg (Contributor), Marita Golden (Contributor), Rebecca Newberger Goldstein (Contributor), Jane Green (Contributor), Katie Hafner (Contributor), Maria Hinojosa (Contributor), Deborah Hofmann (Contributor), Siri Hustvedt (Contributor), Suleika Jaouad (Contributor), Deborah Jiang-Stein (Contributor), Emma Gilbey Keller (Contributor), Anne Kreamer (Contributor), Alex Kuczynski (Contributor), Anne Lamott (Contributor), Honor Moore (Contributor), Bharati Mukherjee (Contributor), Rosie Schaap (Contributor), Elizabeth Searle (Contributor), Jane Smiley (Contributor), Deborah Tannen (Contributor), Adriana Trigiani (Contributor), Patricia Volk (Contributor)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
[I received this book for free as part of LibraryThing.com's Early Reviewer program. All thoughts are my own.]

I thought this was a great concept and a good book. Something seemingly so insignificant tells so much about a person, a family, a culture. Some of it was a little repetitive, but I guess that should be expected. Overall, I enjoyed the read. ( )
  Anietzerck | Dec 12, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Enjoyable and relatable, Me, My Hair and I is a book all women will laugh out loud over, say "I thought I was the only one" over and wonder over. Hair is so many things to us: political, sexual, individual, conforming. Apparently the hair choices we make say a lot of things about us and for many women those choices indicate freedom (and sadly at times its lack). While all ages and several races are included, the absence of "gay" hair leaves us to long-held social stereotypes. It would have been great to hear the hair story of a gay woman, but I guess that'll have to wait. Overall it's a good read and perfect for dipping in and out of as time allows. ( )
  WordMaven | Apr 3, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This collection of essays examines women's hair issues. The authors in this book all have hair issues: their identities are tied up in their hair. The essays touch on the sort of issues one might expect in such a collection: women losing their hair to cancer treatment, arguments with mothers over hairstyles, sibling envy when a sibling has "better" hair, going grey. We also have essays about women's experiences with their hair in different cultures. Not all of the essays are originals. Anne Lamott's is an excerpt from one of her books. Looking at the collection as a whole, there's definitely a heavy New York City focus. It was kind of surprising to me how many of the authors spend a small fortune at super-fancy New York salons. This was a book that was fine to read, but was by no means a must-read for me. It was interesting enough, and the authors were, by and large, good. This wasn't a book that I would stay up late to finish. I'd call it pleasant but unmemorable. ( )
  lahochstetler | Mar 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wanted a bit more diversity of experience in terms of people (a few more people of color dealing with "ethnic" hair) and hair (women spend a whole lot of time and money and pain on managing hair that is not on one's head). I didn't get that, but as someone who has had a very fraught relationship with her very curly hair for over 30 years now, I appreciated seeing the struggles other people face, too :-)
  aarti | Jan 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I guess it's comforting to know that most women, no matter how successful, are a little crazy about their hair, but the essays in this collection become a little tiring after awhile as themes start to repeat - women who learn to accept a natural look; women who defiantly color and don't care who knows it's fake; women who were obsessed with their hair when younger but have mellowed into acceptance with age. There are some highlights (ha ha). "My Black Hair" by Marita Golden succinctly illustrates that "Black women's hair is knotted and gnarled by issues of race, politics, history, and pride." No matter what they decide to do with their hair, it's sure to be controversial from some segment of their friends, family, or co-workers. On the lighter side of the spectrum, Jane Smiley writes about the time she had a makeover and looked fabulous for a couple weeks. Her advice? "Try to look your best as infrequently as possible." Because, no matter how you look, the people who see you all the time will become accustomed to it. So, if you only make an effort for special occasions, your friends may be in for a pleasant surprise. "No, they didn't know you had any taste. No, is was not clear that you were actually pretty, but you are! This is not the same as letting yourself go. It is more like being dormant, so that from time to well-chosen time you may blossom." This collection is best read one essay every few days instead of all at once. ( )
  bookappeal | Sep 30, 2016 |

Smiley, JaneContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tannen, DeborahContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Trigiani, AdrianaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Volk, PatriciaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

In this collection of essays, women talk about their hair-- and in doing so, offer up reflections and revelations about family, race, religion, ritual, culture, motherhood, politics, and celebrity. Layered into these essays you'll find surprises, insights, hilarity, and the resonance of common experience. Many things in life matter more than hair, but few bring as much pleasure as a really great hairdo.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Elizabeth Benedict's book Me, My Hair, and I was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,555,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible