The Highwayman by Kerrigan Byrne

The Highwayman

by Kerrigan Byrne

Other authors: Tantor Audio (Publisher)

Series: The Victorian Rebels (Sep 2015 - book 1)

So good, read twice! Perfect if you like childhood sweethearts trope! ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
This is the first book in the new Kerrigan Byrne’s series Victorian Rebels, and my first read of this author.

I just loved the introduction to our heroine as she was a child in an orphanage as she’s pledging herself to another orphan and then they get separated.

Seventeen years later we meet our heroine again and she has become a strong and resilient woman.

As our hero kidnaps the heroine, we all find out, along with her, what happened to the little orphan she pledged herself to.

As much as this story was predictable, I still found it fascinating and heartbreaking. But then I’m such a sucker for a broken down hero!

If you’re looking for a new author, like I was, I think you should try this one because this story had a bit of everything a romance should, and it was very well written.

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy provided by the publisher ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
Dorian Blackwell is a notorious and powerful underground criminal in England; and Farah Mackenzie is the widowed clerk working at Scotland Yard. They cross paths when Blackwell is brought in for interrogation at the Yard. The novel is fairly well researched, and instead of being a frothy romance that reads like a costume party, this echoes more of the pathos and darkness of a Gothic romance (e.g.'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Brontë.) That said, a fairly deep suspension of belief is required to really make this work. The writing was solid; but not particularly compelling. ( )
  Tanya-dogearedcopy | Feb 23, 2017 |
A well-told, entertaining tale! It had twists and turns that, although a reader might be able to predetermine, the characters don't look like idiots because they don't. Touches on many topics without apology or excessive explanations usually found in other historical romances. I happily look forward to reading the author's second installment in this series! ( )
  Conkie | Dec 1, 2016 |
We picked The Highwayman for my monthly book club. We are always trying to find new to us authors to read. You never know when you'll find someone you love to read.

I'm so glad we did try someone new. We all very much enjoyed the story and had a lively conversation about it. It was enjoyable hearing everyone's thoughts on the story.

Since this is a new author for me I wasn't sure what to except from her. I'm very picky about my historical. I need a good story, plain and simple. Nothing worse then you wanting to characters to stay in the dark-ages.

I really liked the idea of the story. Two young kids counting on each other in a very bad time. The story worked, at least it did until you got to the time that they are adults. Then...

I think that's the only unhappy part of this story for me. The lies on the part of Dorian. I wasn't sure why it had to go on for so long. In the beginning, I got it, but almost to the end of the book? Not so much. I even enjoyed the ending of the book when Dorian helps Farah deal with her past.

Not everyone in book club thought that part of the story was necessary. As you can see I didn't agree.

As a whole the story is good and I enjoyed it enough to read the next story in the series. This was a good pick for our book club and I'm happy we did. I'd love to say more about the story but I feel I'd ruin it for you.

Reviewed for Romancing the Readers:

Romancing the Readers Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/RomancingTheReaders/ ( )
  AnnLorz | Aug 28, 2016 |

Kerrigan Byrneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Perkins, DerekReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, TantorPublishersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Darlene Ainge
You're the reason he survived.
Scottish Highlands, County Argyle, 1855
Blood ran down Dougan Mackenzie's forearms as he crouched against the ancient stone wall separating the grounds of Applecross Orphanage from the wild mountains beyond.

"They're rebels, scoundrels, and blackguards-dark, dashing men on the wrong side of the law. But for the women who love them, a hint of danger only makes the heart beat faster, in this debut historical romance"--

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,364,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible