Lord Fenton's Folly by Josi S. Kilpack

Lord Fenton's Folly (2015)

by Josi S. Kilpack

394292,072 (4)3

Josi Kilpack is the master of creating characters that you despise, and then slowly opening them up and transforming them into beautiful people. It's amazing to watch that transformation. The character development has a natural flow. I love how her regency romance books feel as if she has placed herself in that time and written from them, rather than regurgitating tidbits of the era she has studied. The issues that are dealt with in her books are unexplored situations when it comes to this era. I won't give away any spoilers, but this book has more depth than just a cheesy romance.
Josi Kipack understands people. She knows her characters through and through- and sees both the good and bad in them- and writes it all. No character in this book is perfect. Every character disappoints you from time to time. But that is what sets this book apart from other regency romance books. It has depth. My understanding of situations in my family seem clearer after having read this.
It's just dang good book. I wouldn't suggest that young teenagers read it- FYI. It has some mature themes. More mature in the handling of them than most YA books are, but I would probably wait until my daughter is at least 17 or 18. That's just me though. ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
Wow. It’s been a looooong time since I’ve read a straightforward, not-ashamed-to-say-it romance novel. I see the formula hasn’t changed. Meet cute. Hate each other for a while. Decide you love each other after all. Live happily ever after. It only took me three hours start to finish. (Hint: Don’t start a new book at 9 p.m.)

Alice is a strong character with a mind of her own, not a simpering, marriage-minded girl. Since this book is set in an era where a woman’s only (or close to only) option is marriage, that’s a nice thing. The fact that the man she’s had a crush on since she was a child is the one asking is a great bonus. Too bad he is only marrying because he has to.

Fortunately, it’s not quite as simple as that. What I really enjoyed about this book is its examination of the effects of parental actions on their children. Fenton is the seeming-idiot because he doesn’t want to become his father.

Yes, the ending is predictable, but the journey there is fun, and the lead characters are both worthy of their happy-ever-after.

Possible objectionable material:
References to sex, married and extramarital, but nothing shown. The hottest it gets here is desire. A character is developmentally delayed—possibly Down Syndrome, but is treated with great kindness after some initial, period-appropriate, dismay.

Who would like this book:
Romance fans who don’t need sex scenes—or even much kissing. This is very much about emotion, not physicality. Probably women more than men. It’s squeaky clean, so if a middle-grader wanted to read it, I wouldn’t object, though they might not quite have the emotional maturity yet for the full effect. Approximate Lexile: 1130

Thank you, NetGalley, for the Advanced Reader e-book. ( )
  swingdancefan | Oct 8, 2015 |
I enjoyed this read, quick and light hearted, no not really, it had a lot of deeper meaning that you will discover when you get to the end.
You get great mind pictures of Charles aka Lord Fenton, so colorful and quite the dandy, and embarrassment to his family, and no regard for any ones feelings. Then you have Alice the sweet good daughter, who is chosen by a wise Mother to be Charles wife. It comes down to his father ‘s demands and his final submission. Come and enjoy how we get to this point.
Alice and Charles meet when he is a teen and she a child, and she is one smart cookie, and you will enjoy the banter between them.
There are lot of deep and hurtful secrets to be revealed here, and making no excuses, you wonder if a lot of people lived this way. Don’t give up on these folks a really good story is about to unfold. Enjoy!
I received this book through I Am A Reader, Not A Writer, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Oct 8, 2015 |
Inadvertent folly just might surprise.

Alice Stanbridge was only a young girl,when Charles Fenton walked into her life.
This is a charming episode that should have been the avenue that led towards a happy life for them. Years later, when Alice has her come out season, she thought that the Charles she'd glimpsed then was the Charles of now.
Lord Fenton has done all that he can to cause discomfort to his father. He dresses like a Marconi, is perpetually drunk, gambles and takes part in ill advised pranks.
This time his father has demanded he change his ways or be disinherited.
As marriage is part of the requirement, Charles' eyes fall upon the newly acquainted Alice.
It is only after the marriage that Alice realizes that Charles does not care for her. How can she comport herself, how can they present to the world the face of a happily married couple when the truth is so disheartening.
When her mother-in-law, Lady Chariton falls ill, Alice accompanies her to her family estate. This is Lady Chariton's first visit in many years. Here secrets will be revealed and Alice will be tested, as will Charles.
This is not your usual romance. Can forgiveness intervene in the relationship Alice and Charles now have? Certainly changes are in the wind but the road is strewn with rocks.
The old adage 'Marry in haste, repent at leisure' never sounded so true.
Mistakes and follies of the past, unacknowledged and unresolved, have led to Charles' current state. But folly can be reclaimed and what might have appeared folly at first glance might become unlooked for wisdom.

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Oct 6, 2015 |
For Linda
1948-2013
Lord Fenton—Charles Archibald Theler—moved his adolescent arms and legs as fast as they could go toward the small shed just past the tree line, not sure if he was running more from the fire or from someone's notice of his proximity to the scene.
page 40

London House at 2:00
page 57

Dearest Charles,

I have had quite a conference with your father and defended your position as eloquently as I possibly could. I have never rallied for anything in the whole of my life as much as I have for this. Your father is not of a mind to give me much ear, but I did not relent. The negotiation that came of my zealousness required that I make great promises on your behalf, but your father has agreed to stay his hand if, and only if, you agree to fulfill the following expectations:
•   Assume the management of the estate associated with your current title.
•   Employ a capable secretary who will help you organize yourself and move you forward to the running of your holding and management of your lifestyle and funds. You father will approve this choice before it is fully determined.
•   Conduct  yourself with greater decorum amid society, presenting yourself as befitting you station.
•   Make an adequate match with a woman of respectability before the season ends and marry her my Michaelmas, in six months' time.
    If you can agree to these provisions, your father is willing to forgo his decision to disinherit you. I cannot impress upon you enough that you must rise to this, Charles. You must be committed to this course. Should you fail to meet these expectations, both you and I will pay a heavy price.
    My dear boy, it is the greatest wish of my mother's heart that you shall embrace this as an opportunity to find joy and comfort. I beg of you to make the amends necessary with your father to make this course work. Become a man your parents can be proud of. I beg you to do it.
Your Loving Mother,

Lady Chariton

Lord Fenton and Alice Stanbridge's marriage is one of convenience for him, but one of love for her. When Alice realizes the truth, she matches Fenton wit for wit until they both learn to see the truth of each other's hearts and find love beyond the folly.

"Lord Fenton and Alice Stanbridge's marriage is one of convenience for him, but one of love for her. When Alice realizes the truth, she matches Fenton wit for wit until they both learn to see the truth of each other's hearts and find love beyond the folly"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Josi S. Kilpack is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,766,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible