The Secret Fire by C. J. Daugherty

English (2)  German (1)  All (3)
I enjoyed this start to a series that features a boy from Paris who discovers that he can't die until he's due to die, and a girl from England who discovers that her future doesn't just include being successful for her preferred college and that qualifying for the college her grandfather works in doesn't just involve academic brilliance.

I enjoyed this start to a series, it's an interesting premise and I'm looking forward to reading more in this series. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 5, 2015 |
The Secret Fire by C.J. Daugherty and Carina Rozenfeld is the first book in the new The Alchemist Chronicles. Sacha Winters is seventeen years old living in Paris, France (lucky kid). He has started doing dangerous stunts, skipping school, and, basically, doing what he wants. But then that might have to do with the curse. He is the first son on his father and he will die on his eighteenth birthday. Until then he cannot die (his body heals). Sacha’s father died trying to find a way to stop his son from dying. Sacha’s mother seems resigned to the fact.

Taylor Montclair is seventeen and living in Woodbury, England. She wants to go to Oxford to be an archaeologist. She devotes a majority of her time to studying. Her French teacher, Mr. Finlay asks her to tutor Sacha on English. Taylor really does not have time in her schedule, but her teacher insists. They connect and discover that Sacha really does not need to be tutored in English (he is being pressured by his English teacher when he does go to school), but they both decide to continue to meet online. Taylor has been getting horrible migraines recently and they are getting worse. Then one night her friend, Georgie insists that Taylor go on a double date. They go to an American style 50’s diner. The music is loud and is making Taylor’s head really hurt, when she cannot take it any longer she says stop. The sound system in the diner blows up. How did that happen? After a few strange events, something really big happens. That’s when Taylor finds out that she is special.

Taylor talks with Sacha and they figure there has to be a reason they were thrown together. Can Taylor help Sacha? But someone does not want Sacha finding the answers he needs. Actually, someone is after Taylor as well. What is going on? These two need answers (and only a few weeks until Sacha’s eighteenth birthday) and they have to stay alive to get the results (and ahead of their enemy). Will they succeed?

I found The Secret Fire riveting. I sat down and read the book straight through to the end. C.J. Daugherty is a great writer. She pulls in the reader and keeps them engrossed until the very last page. I liked this unique story with interesting characters. I especially liked that the book is set in England and France (instead of America). The Secret Fire is fast paced and well written. I give The Secret Fire 5 out of 5 stars. There was just one (maybe two) little things I did not like. One is that the book ends with a cliffhanger. The second issue is we have to wait for the next book (so frustrating). The Secret Fire is a young adult novel, but I am an adult who really enjoyed reading it (as you can tell).

I received a complimentary copy of The Secret Fire from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The review and opinions expressed are my own. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Sep 4, 2015 |

Daugherty, C. J.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rozenfeld, Carinamain authorall editionsconfirmed

A battle against fate. A race against time. Taylor Montclair is a regular girl from the quiet backwater of Woodbury, England. Sacha Winters is a darkly mysterious boy from the City of Lights - Paris, France. While Taylor's focussed on her dream of attending Oxford University, school couldn't be further from Sacha's mind ...Sacha knows exactly when he's going to die. Because he's done it before. On the appointed day, Sacha's time will run out. And his death will fulfil an ancient destiny that could unleash chaos and catastrophe. Taylor is the only person who can save him. Neither of them knows that yet. Because they haven't even met. Hundreds of miles and a body of water separate them. Deadly forces will stop at nothing to keep them apart. They have eight weeks to find each other and unravel an ancient web of mystery and danger. The clock starts NOW.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 31 Aug 2015 07:23:23 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,847,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible