Logan and The Mystical Collar (Greyhound…

Logan and The Mystical Collar (Greyhound Stories Book 2)

by Suzanne Burke

322,001,085 (4.5)None

Logan awakens to find himself in ancient Egypt with no idea how he got there. Strangely, he seems to be able to talk to the woman there who he discovers is Cleopatra. Also strange is that some of the other greyhounds strongly remind him of his pack mates from home. He notices a distinct difference between himself and the others in that his coat is a light tan and theirs is black. He seems to be rare here.

Logan has several adventures in Egypt which lead him and the other greyhounds into danger. The story attempts to demonstrate the intelligence of the greyhound by having them come up with solutIons to problems that humans would come up with. While this may not be realistic in terms of what a greyhound would actually do, it does get the idea across that the greyhound is a very intelligent and resourceful creature.

Logan is bullied by the pack leader who is much bigger and stronger than he is, but he still challenges him to a race. I liked that Logan did not back down from this bully but stood up for what he believed in and was able to help the bully see that leadership through bullying is not leadership. True leadership is guidance and helpfulness to those you are leading.

There are a number of twists and turns in the story that will keep middle-grade readers interested. I liked seeing the suspenseful parts from Logan's point of view.

Logan's Mystical Collar is a fictional story, but it is an excellent source of information for facts about Egypt, Cleopatra and Alexandria. At the back of the book, after the story has concluded, there are nonfiction sections on these topics as well as information on greyhounds in Egypt and greyhound adoption. In addition there is a writing section with writing activities and vocabulary to learn that comes from this story itself. This short book would make a great addition to a classroom or homeschool setting.

Logan and the Mystical Collar is not a long book, but it is jam-packed with a lot of action and information. Even as an adult I enjoyed reading this book partly because Logan was a real dog (though the events in this story are purely fiction) and because of the facts about Egypt and greyhounds at the back of the book. I think dog lovers of all ages will enjoy this book. I gave it 4 stars out of 5.

Thank you to the author for providing a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review, visit Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/05/book-review-logan-and-mysti... ( )
  KathrynSvendsen | May 19, 2015 |
I received a copy to facilitate my review. The opinions expressed here are my own.

There is so much to love about this book. I have to admit that my husband raised grey hounds for years and I knew nothing about this breed. My husband worked for the dog track in Sarasota, Florida. He was always telling me what great dogs they are.

In this story we meet Logan a golden greyhound who wakes up in ancient Egypt. There he meets Cleopatra and her greyhounds. He doesn't know how or why he is there. Zeus is Cleopatra's body guard and doesn't like Logan at all. Logan will play a major part and be declared a hero before the story is done. There is also the underlying message about bullying that children will definitely be able to relate to.

I enjoyed not only the story, but the valuable information found at the back of the book. I didn't know that there were penalties for killing dogs in ancient Egypt. I also didn't know that only royalty could own greyhounds. As an adult I loved this book and I'm sure my students will love it just as much. ( )
  skstiles612 | Apr 25, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,110,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible