That Girl from Nowhere by Dorothy Koomson

That Girl from Nowhere (2015)

by Dorothy Koomson

Clemency Smittson is known to most of her friends as Smitty. She was adopted shortly after birth, and had a mostly happy childhood with loving parents, marred only by her bullying cousin Nancy.

There’s quite a large cast but the author is good with distinctive names and, to some extent, characters, so that I never found myself confused. However, it took a while to get into the book. The writing is good, but it seemed at first to be a gentle story of a woman finding her identity.

However the second half of the book is full of unexpected revelations and plot twists. The story unfolds perfectly with exactly the right amount of information at each stage. By the time I had reached the last 100 pages or so, I could barely put it down.

There is more bad language in this than I’m comfortable with, and rather too much detail about intimate encounters; I wouldn’t recommend this to younger teenagers. Many contemporary issues are touched upon, but not all the questions are answered by the end of the book. The ending is positive, yet leaves several things open.

Perhaps some of the characters were a little stereotyped too; yet, all in all I found this a powerful and thought-provoking novel. It’s a story that will remain with me for some time. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jun 22, 2016 |
This book is dedicated, with love, to my dad - sometimes disapproving but always supportive.
'You will help me, won't you? she asks.

Clemency Smittson was adopted as a baby and the only connection she has to her birth mother is a cardboard box hand-decorated with butterflies. Now an adult, Clem decides to make a drastic life change and move to Brighton, where she was born. Clem has no idea that while there she'll meet someone who knows all about her butterfly box and what happened to her birth parents. As the tangled truths about her adoption and childhood start to unravel, a series of shocking events cause Clem to reassess whether the price of having contact with her birth family could be too high to pay.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,594,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible