Power Shift by Robert Arthur Stayton

Power Shift

by Robert Arthur Stayton

721,138,814 (4.67)None

At the beginning of the book, Stayton starts off with explaining about the beginnings and history of energy. He explains how we got where we are now, and includes beautifully drawn pictures. He also explains how we became such big users of energy. I was surprised to find out that everything we do involves energy from some source. As an example in the book, it takes energy to cut grass, and then transport it to wherever it needs to go. Afterwards, Stayton talks about the problem that we are having now, and how we might be able to fix it. He includes graphs, and a lot of informative stuff! He moves on to talk about how to remove the energy that we have now, and how to create new forms of solar energy, which could save our planet, and save our pockets, plus, there’s enough solar energy for everyone to use! He talks about where to store energy, and how cheap it could be to transition from fossil fuels to solar energy. There are some places, in the book, when he talks about the negatives of solar power. I like it, because he sees different perspectives, which makes this book a great scientific book. He talks about formulating a plan to make this change, and how to sustain the change once it’s made.

I would definitely recommend this book to people who like science, or even people that might be a little bit interested in this topic, because it’s a great read, and at the end, you’ll be an expert on Fossil Energy and Solar Power! I would like to thank the author for sending me this book in exchange for a review of my own, honest opinion. ( )
  OcelotC | Jan 21, 2016 |
The author explains to us how we, as a people, became dependent on fossil fuels. He also explains to us the good and bad that happens when we overuse them, as we are doing. He goes on to tell us what would happen if we switched to solar energy and wind power. I found it quite interesting, and, mostly, easy to understand. I think it would benefit anyone to read it, and think it would be especially useful in the classroom. ( )
  croknot1 | Jul 20, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 099047920X, Paperback)

The world is transitioning from energy to power, a change that is setting human civilization on a new course for the future. Power Shift is the first book to describe this fundamental change in the human relationship with energy.

For two hundred years human society has mined caches of fossil energy to build and run our mechanized civilization. Now we have reached the limits of fossil fuels because of their unintended consequences--climate change and ocean acidification.  Our next step is not to dig up a new energy source, but instead to tap into the vast dynamic power sources that flow all around us, sources that derive their power from the Sun. Unlike fossil fuels, the Sun is a permanent source of clean power that will never run out.

Power Shift's breakthrough insight is that human civilization has embarked on a great transformation from static fossil energy to dynamic solar power, altering the basic relationship between humans and energy. This shift is so fundamental that it defines a new historical epoch, and looms as large as the discovery of fire, the development of agriculture, and the exploitation of fossil fuels. Today few are aware that this new epoch has already begun.

Written for a general audience, Power Shift explains this insight by retelling the story of humans in terms of energy. It shows how energy defined our species and supported our expansive takeover of Planet Earth. It clearly outlines our current energy dilemma, and the way forward.

If you live a modern energy-enabled lifestyle, then you are a player in this drama, and you have choices to make. The energy decisions we make today will decide the fate of many generations to come. This book raises the level of energy debate to match this historic significance.

Power Shift will enlarge your view of the world through the lens of energy. From that new vantage point, you will see hope for the future.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 16:26:40 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Robert Arthur Stayton's book Author was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Robert Arthur Stayton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,298,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible