Flash: The Homeless Donkey Who Taught Me…

Flash: The Homeless Donkey Who Taught Me about Life, Faith, and Second…

by Rachel Anne Ridge

I picked this book up because I was interested in donkeys and what life would be like living with one. For me, the book focused too much on the author's thoughts on faith, which was not what I signed up for. Anyone recommend a good donkey book? ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
I gave up on this biography about a stray donkey that "forever changed a family." I thought it might be interesting and was intrigued as to how an animal could transform a family spiritually. But apart from the first few chapters when the sudden arrival of the donkey into this family's driveway when they had no money caused an interesting dilemma, I found the book boring. It is more of a self help manual about life lessons with occasional references to the donkey; The writer is watching the donkey in the field and is impressed suddenly with the donkey's "shelter," she leaps to the conclusion that God is showing her that He is her shelter (through the donkey) and then writes down her emotional response and thought process in connection with this. Whole chapters are devoted to naming the donkey, introducing the donkey to their pet dog, arguing with their neighbours when they decide to come up with their own name for the donkey and so it goes on. I also didn't find the humour particularly funny.

Maybe some will enjoy reading every detail of the life of the donkey (and the author,) I didn't. In the chapters that I read the language was clean and there was no violence/sexual content.

sparkleandchico | Aug 31, 2016 |
I am very glad to a have read this book. I really enjoyed it. Rachel makes you feel like you are sitting down with her and listening to her tell you her life story. At times I laughed out and had to explain to my husband what had happened in the story. She is very honest in her writing and being from Texas I can relate to much of what she is saying.
This is a true story and you find out in the beginning that Rachel and her husband were following their dreams and living well, painting murals in people's homes. When the economy went bad they lost most of that income. Rachel finds herself wondering what she should do. She really explains her feelings well. Driving home one night they see something in front of them. It was a donkey. It takes them some time to get him to their barn. They plan to find his owner. Mean time they tend to his wounds. They find out, that finding his owner won't be easy. Being animal lovers they can't bear to think of abandoning this sweet donkey, so they eventually decide to keep him.
Rachel tells of all that happened since that day and how God has used Flash (the donkey), to teach her truths in His word. I really enjoyed this book. A fun and lighthearted read.
A great big thank you to Revell books for my free copy of Flash, for my honest review. ( )
1 vote JamieFuentes | Jun 9, 2015 |
I loved the beautiful stories about Flash, the donkey, and his family and the lessons that God taught Ms. Ridge through Flash. They are lessons for everyone (from friendship to fear to stepping out in faith). With each story, readers fall more and more in love with Flash. After reading this book, everyone will want their very own donkey!

The book is a fast read and is well-written. I enjoyed the author sharing personal stories of her art business, family, and dog, Beau too. I also loved that the life-lessons are listed in the back as a review. This a sweet memoir that will make your summer!

Disclaimer: I received this book free through Tyndale Blogging Network in exchange for my honest review. ( )
1 vote DawnMHamsher | May 22, 2015 |

Flash, a stray donkey, wanders onto the Ridge family's rural Texas property one night and ends up staying. Ridge--blogger, artist, wife, mother, and entrepreneur--recounts his story and the wisdom God gave her using this unlikely source.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,414,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible