The Painter's Daughter by Julie Klassen

The Painter's Daughter

by Julie Klassen

I knew how the entire book was going to play out by the end of chapter one. I knew because I have read about 3 books that were basically the exact same plot.
I was super bummed about this. I read The Apothecary's Daughter last year and I thought it was such a welcome relief to all the overdone themes of regency romance.
I am taking the rest of her books off my "to read" shelf now.
It turns out I can just lump her books in with Sarah Eden and Carla Kelly.
But, on a positive note, I will have another author to suggest for those women who have already made their way through Eden and Kelly. So, that's good. ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
There are quite a few things I love about this book. Where do I begin?
1) Passageways! A great manor/mansion/estate with hidden passageways definites adds a layer of intrigue to the story!
2) I loved the Jane Eyre and Jane Austen references.
3) Captain Stephen Overtree is a saint for rescuing Sophie from very unpleasant circumstances. He feels the need to clean up his brother's messes. Moreover, he comes to love Sophie which makes him all the more endearing.
4) The old nurse is a wonderful woman. While not everyone in the household likes her, the Captain and Sophie think very well of her and treat her with the utmost respect.
5) Sophie is a woman of great talent. In an era where women are expected to be nothing but wives and mothers, she excels in creating art. Yes, she may be "a painter's daughter" to some, but she is an artist in her own right.

I'm looking forward to the next Julie Klassen novel! ( )
  caslater83 | Apr 23, 2017 |
Love love love ! I couldn't put it down. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Nov 26, 2016 |
Although this was only my third Julie Klassen novel (and I listened to much of it as an audiobook for work), I've come to realize why her books are considered to be some of the best in thier genre.
'The Secret of Pembrooke Park' was good, even if it was a little melodramatic, and some incidents implausible, but I think I almost enjoyed 'The Painter's Daughter' a little more, with its plausible and memorable characters, grappling with real feelings and challenges.
The eccentric former nurse, insecure yet big-hearted younger sister, and (at first) rougish former army officer and companion to Wesley and later Stephen Overtree were some of the most endearing characters.

Also, there was not so much of a 'heavy' emphasis on mystery and danger. The focus of this story was more on family relationships, dynamics, and the secrets in the personal lives of the characters (rather than anything illegal or catastrophic- no wives hidden in attics for instance). I would say, there was more of an emotional intensity. Even the romance was not (for the most part) mushy and silly, and I found I was able to become absorbed in the setting, both geographical and historical.

My main complaint with some Regencies is that the characters are far too 'Americanized' in terms of thier speech and attitudes or mannerisms - and for me it ruins the mood. If I read a Regency I almost don't want to know its written by an American (even if I know it is- if that makes sense). I want it to authentically feel like nineteenth century Britain with characters of the time and place-not using lots of American terms and phrases, modern slang words, adhering to silly stereotypes, or behaving in a totally inappropriate or implausible way for the society in which it the story is set. Mrs Klassen's work, I have found, always delivers in this regard.

Altogether a good, (mostly- there were a couple of non-graphic scenes hinting at consummation of a marriage, for instance) clean read with a solid Christian and redemptive message. Recommended for Regency fans, or those new to the genre as well as established Klassen fans. I personally would like to dip into some of the author's earlier work before her next novel releases in December.

I recieved a free ebook from the publisher via Netgalley for review (as well as listening to the audiobook which I bought myself). I was not required to write a postitive one and all opinions expressed are my own.
  Medievalgirl | Oct 4, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading the Painter's Daughter as it had a historical background, but also romance and working at doing what was right. Captain Stephen Overtree has had to look out and clean up after his brother Wesley many times and he finds himself having to do it again as he meets Sophie. Wesley has left Sophie and she is also pregnant. When Stephen realizes this, he decides to marry her and send her to live on his family's estate. They are both uncomfortable with the circumstances, but feel it is the best choice for the situation. I liked reading this book and seeing how the characters interacted.
I received a copy of this book to read and review from the publisher. ( )
  polarmath | Jul 25, 2016 |

Julie Klassen Is the Gold Standard for Inspirational Regency Fiction

Sophie Dupont, daughter of a portrait painter, assists her father in his studio, keeping her own artwork out of sight. She often walks the cliffside path along the north Devon coast, popular with artists and poets. It's where she met the handsome Wesley Overtree, the first man to tell her she's beautiful.

Captain Stephen Overtree is accustomed to taking on his brother's neglected duties. Home on leave, he's sent to find Wesley. Knowing his brother rented a cottage from a fellow painter, he travels to Devonshire and meets Miss Dupont, the painter's daughter. He's startled to recognize her from a miniature portrait he carries with him--one of Wesley's discarded works. But his happiness plummets when he realizes Wesley has left her with child and sailed away to Italy in search of a new muse.

Wanting to do something worthwhile with his life, Stephen proposes to Sophie. He does not offer love, or even a future together, but he can save her from scandal. If he dies in battle, as he believes he will, she'll be a respectable widow with the protection of his family.

Desperate for a way to escape her predicament, Sophie agrees to marry a stranger and travel to his family's estate. But at Overtree Hall, her problems are just beginning. Will she regret marrying Captain Overtree when a repentant Wesley returns? Or will she find herself torn between the father of her child and her growing affection for the husband she barely knows?

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Jul 2015 12:51:40 -0400)

"In 1815, a painter's daughter on the north Devon coast agrees to marry a stranger to avoid scandal, but her choice is complicated by the return of a former lover and a growing affection for the husband she barely knows"--

Bethany House

2 editions of this book were published by Bethany House.

Editions: 0764210726, 0764216023

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,230,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible