Accidentally in Love by Laura Drewry

Accidentally in Love

by Laura Drewry

The Friends First series, has become one of my favourite straight romance series. I have read all 3 books so far and the characters have perfect chemistry, each time. I just can't seem to put the books down!

This is the third book in the series, and what a great addition. Ellie Palmer, I just love her straight, upfront, tell it like it is honesty. That coupled with her bit of sarcasm, makes her have two of my favourite qualities in a character. And boy did she wield them well. Most of the time straight at Brett Hale, sometimes being lucky enough to earn the reward of a smile.. which I must say, I totally loved that Brett tries to hide them. Brett was a great combination of quiet and assertiveness. The perfect match for Ellie. I loved that he enjoyed her witty/sarcastic comebacks, and had a great sense of humour of his own. Best yet... the sparks between these two.. whoa! I didn't want it to end!

Laura Drewry crafts a fantastic , funny, contemporary romance, and I am completely looking forward to Maya's story.... well I am assuming Maya will get a story...wait.. Maya better get a story!!!

If you have not read this author or series before and enjoy a fun romance.. I would highly recommend these books!

I was gifted a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Original Review posted at: http://paragraphsandpetticoats.blogspot.ca/ ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
This review was originally posted on Bookish Things & MoreReview
Accidentally in Love was such a fun book. There's a definite enemy to love plot, which happen to be my favorite. Brett and Ellie are so funny with how they react to each other. I also haven't read many books featuring cops, so this was a great way to start out. I didn't realize this was a part of a series, but you can read it without having read the other books first. Though I'll be reading the previous ones to see the other characters' story.

Ellie is dead set on her hatred of cops. She was royally screwed over before, and I can understand her distrust. But she's witty, charming, and absolutely loyal to her friends. She doesn't know how to handle the sudden reappearance of her ex, but Brett and the police force take care of that. They go above and beyond to make sure she stays safe. She feels herself starting to change her opinion of "Dudley-Do-Right" Brett, and that scares her more than anything. She doesn't now what to do with the compassion she feels toward him. I think one of my favorite things about Ellie is that she doesn't think before she speaks. It all just gets thrown right out there. And there's this scene with her mom that will have you literally laughing out loud.

Brett is an all around good guy. He is constantly giving Ellie tickets for her speeding, and their little back and forth is funny. He doesn't know why she won't just obey the laws. I like that he wants to get to know after being forced to spend more time with her. He can't really stand her in the beginning, but softens to her. She drives him crazy, and he doesn't know what he's feeling. Brett is funny, and pretty damn adorable.

One of the things I love about this book is that is doesn't make the whole relationship about sex. Don't get me wrong I love to read some sexy times, but sometimes it's nice to get to know characters without there being earth shattering sex every time they see each other. I also felt like it made them get to know each other better, past their physical attraction to each other. Overall, this is a fun and sweet book. It's definitely swoon-worthy.

Excerpt

“License and registration, please.”

Before Ellie could respond with her usual grunt and eye roll, her friend Jayne leaned way over

from the passenger seat, straining against her seat belt until she was lying straight across Ellie’s

lap and peering out the driver’s side window.

“Hey, Brett—how’s it going?”

“Hey, Jayne.” Dudley Do-Right lifted his chin at Jayne in one of those man-type greetings, then

turned his attention back to Ellie as he tucked one arm of his sunglasses inside the pocket of his

vest. “License and registration, please.”

“Seriously? What for?”

Standing on the side of the road in his perfectly starched uniform, his hand extended, palm up,

Constable Brett Hale exhaled a long, slow sigh and repeated the same sentence he’d said to

her so many times since she’d moved to this small B.C. town over four years ago.

“You were observed operating a motor vehicle at a rate of speed higher than the posted limit.”

Why couldn’t he ever just say she was speeding?

“Gimme a break.” Ellie barked out a short, harsh laugh. “I couldn’t have been doing more than

eighty-five kilometers an—”

“Eighty-seven.”

“Oh, pardon me,” she scoffed. “Eighty-seven. And you’re going to write me up for going seven

clicks over the limit?”

“Normally, the answer to that would be no.” Hand still out, Brett’s jaw tightened ever so slightly,

but other than that, his expression remained stony as ever. “But this here’s a seventy zone.”

“It’s what? No, it’s not!” Ellie craned her neck around, seeking out the nearest speed limit sign,

which was a good couple hundred meters back, and, of course, all she could see was the back

of it. Not helpful. “It’s eighty. I’m sure it’s—”

Of course now she wasn’t sure at all.

“I can walk you back to look for yourself if you’d like.”

“Told you,” Jayne muttered, making a point of digging her elbow into Ellie’s thigh as she pushed

forward again to look up at Brett’s face. “Are you going to make it to ball practice tonight?”

“What?” Ellie gaped at Jayne, who didn’t so much as blink back at her. No one had said

anything to Ellie about the cop playing on the team. Not that she could have done anything

about it, but a heads-up would have been nice.

“I’ll be there. Which field did you book?”

“The fastball diamond at six.” Her elbow jabbed deeper as she shifted a little to the right. “It’s all

we could get tonight, but we’re on the slo-pitch field next week.”

“Ow!” Ellie tried to shove Jayne off her lap, but Jayne was a hell of a lot stronger than she

looked, and the harder Ellie shoved, the deeper Jayne dug in.

“I’ll be there.”

“Great!”

Ellie glared at Jayne, who shot her a quick wink, then shuffled her body back to her own seat.

Cocking her jaw to the side, Ellie shook her head slowly and waved her hand between Jayne

and Brett.

“Do you two need help with the batting order, or can I get on with my day now?”

Brett blinked down at her, clearly unamused. “License. And. Registration. Please.”

Shit.

The last time he’d spoken to her in that tone, she’d wound up in the back of his police cruiser for

almost half an hour while he took his sweet time running her license through the system. While

she’d steamed back there on the molded plastic seat, Dudley Do-Right sat in the front seat

plunking away on his computer and completely ignoring her. For all she knew, he could have

been leveling up on Candy Crush or updating his Facebook status. The only time he

acknowledged her was when she told him she could tap out Morse code faster than he could

type.

And even then, his only response was a slow turn of his head and his usual flat stare.

Not wanting to end up in that backseat again, where God only knew what kind of bodily fluids

had been overlooked at the last cleaning, Ellie hesitated for a second before huffing out a

breath.

“Relax, Poncherello, don’t get your Kevlar all in a bunch.” Lifting her wallet from between the

front seats, she waved a finger toward the glove box for Jayne to dig out the registration.

“Surprised he doesn’t have all your info memorized,” Jayne muttered as she rummaged under

and around the owner’s manual, tire pressure gauge, various maps, and Ellie’s stash of red

Swedish Berries.

“Thank you.” Brett took the papers Ellie handed him, then bobbed his head toward the back of

her old Beetle. “Turn your engine off, please. I’ll be back in a minute.”

“Take your time.” She let the sarcasm drip slowly as he ambled back to his cruiser, then she

turned and called out her window: “Just remember we have ball practice in a couple hours!”

“Stop it,” Jayne warned. “You were the one speeding, Ellie; he’s just doing his job.”

“Give me a break—it’s not like I was all over the road or anything. They should spend less time

worrying about stuff like this and more time tracking down murderers and drug dealers.”

“Murderers?” Jayne snorted. “There hasn’t been a murder here since . . . I don’t even know.

Before I was born.”

“What about drug dealers? You can’t tell me we don’t have any of those kickin’ around this

town.” Ellie shut the car off and turned the subject back to the ball team. “And what’s the deal

with him joining the team? I thought we had a full roster, so what do we need him for?”

“Because he’s Nick’s best friend, he’s a hell of a ballplayer, and it’s a beer league, Ellie, which

means not everyone’s going to make every game, so why not bring him in? Besides, next to

you, he’s the most competitive person I know, so maybe he can help us win a game or two.”

“I’m not that competitive.”

“Oh, really?” Jayne snorted. “So it wasn’t you who tried to rip the handle off the foosball table

last week?”

“Wha—?” Her sputter stopped in mid-denial, giving way to a guilty smile. “Regan cheated—she

spun her player, and you’re not allowed to do that!”

“Uh-huh. Okay.” Rolling her eyes, Jayne twisted in her seat and stared straight at Ellie. “I wish

you’d give Brett a break.”

Giveaway
a Rafflecopter giveaway
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
This book was as hilarious as it was heartbreaking. Laura Drewry has penned these characters and this story so well that she will have you clutching your gut while you laugh with tears streaming down your face.

Ellie and cops are a bad combo and Brett is your typical cop, stoic, dedicated and honest to a fault. And they DO NO get along. But when her life is threatened by a stalker from her past, Brett is assigned to be her "boyfriend". But in keeping her safe he's putting her heart and his at risk.

Copy provided in exchange for an honest review ( )
  Ash_P | Mar 8, 2016 |
In Spanish there is a quote that says something along the lines of whatever you don’t like you end up having in your household. For instance, my grandma hates tattoos but my brother and I have them. Accidentally in love definitely reminded me of that quote for the simple fact that Elle hated cops because when she needed them the most there was nothing they could do for her. She couldn’t trust them, she would rather deal with things by herself then to call cops and never in her wildest dreams did she expect she’d have to rely on Brett the one who ALWAYS stops her and even evoked her license. Never did she expect to actually like Brett despite the fact that he is a cop.

It’s crazy how love works. Sometimes you fall in simple by accident.

Our Story
Accidentally in love is told in third person point of view with snippets of what each of the main characters is thinking.

Accidentally in love takes place in Canada which I found to be so cool, I hardly ever read books that take place outside of the U.S. so this was definitely interesting.

The story is about Elle who has a problem with speeding and is constantly being pulled over by Brett. She has no problem telling him where he can shove his badge up, nor does she have any problem voicing her opinion about how much she hates cops. The story gives a brief history about why she doesn’t trust cops and she is totally justified but Brett isn’t like any other cops. He does take his job seriously, he always puts safety first and is the only one who truly help Elle get rid of that ex who just doesn’t understand “we are never ever getting back together”.

What I loved most about this story wasn’t just the romance it was the fact that Brett tried so hard not to cross the line between professional and unprofessional. He truly had Elle’s interest at heart and knew if they did cross that line his mind would be clouded and he wouldn’t be able to perform his job. Granted, my mind was frustrated because c’mon kiss her already, but I really did enjoy this story. It was really light and easy read, I definitely would have liked more suspense but overall I really enjoyed it.

Our Characters
Elle is a stubborn, independent, speed devil woman. She doesn’t like cops because of things of her past. She speaks nothing but the truth even if that means your feelings will be hurt. She’s extremely competitive and someone I could easily see myself getting along with. I loved how in the beginning of the book she was hard to read but towards the end of the book she was really sweet.

Brett is Mr. Safety first, which Elle always makes fun but it is part of his charm. I loved how he wasn’t an over the top caveman he was a perfect gentlemen he was also very professional and didn’t cross the line even when his heart told him to. He was a very respectable man. I especially loved how he wasn’t impulsive like seriously that is so hard to find now at days but Brett is our exception. He was able to stand out and be a real sweet caring professional non-caveman. It was hard not to love him even when he was trying to keep to himself you ended up loving him.

Overall
This is a quick and light read with a little bit of suspense thrown in. I loved the family unit of friends presented in the book and I loved the relationship that Elle and Brett had, their banter, the way they were with each other. I really just enjoyed the entire story.

I received a copy in exchange for an honest opinion this does not influence my review in any shape or form. ( )
  tina_thebookworm | Feb 12, 2016 |
Ellie Palmer doesn't get along with the police. Not only is she the queen of speeding tickets, but whenever she's needed help from the police, she's been let down. So she's not too thrilled when Officer Brett Hale pulls her over to tell her she's going 20 km/hr over the posted speed limit, and also that her license has been suspended. Now, not only does she have to take a remedial driving course, but she also has to find a new way to get around. Thanks, Brett.

Ellie and Brett have been in the same circle of friends for years, so when her dangerous ex starts bothering her again, Brett is the natural choice to protect her. As they spend more time together and get to know each other, Ellie realizes that Brett isn't as bad as he seemed. Ellie and Brett fall hard for each other -- but being together is impossible, since it would jeopardize both his career and the case against Ellie's ex.

Accidentally in Love is the second book I've read by Laura Drewry, and it didn't disappoint. In fact, I think I liked it a little better than Prima Donna. In both of the books, Drewry creates such lifelike characters that I feel like I actually know them, like they could be my friends. And I think that's my favorite part of her books. They feel real.

This was a really quick read that made me really happy. After the emotional rollercoaster of the last book I read, this was just what I needed. Accidentally in Love has cemented my status as a huge fan of Laura Drewry's work, and I can't wait to read whatever she writes next.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the invitation to read this ARC. ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,239,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible