Stay the Distance by Mara Dabrishus

Stay the Distance

by Mara Dabrishus

GR Import (1) horsy (1) romance (1) series (1) to-read (6) YA (1)

Good YA horse-racing novel mostly focused on July's relationship with horses (excellent) and with her mother (so broken), and a very shyly developing romance with Beck, the owner's son.
Excellent characters and character development, medium-slow pace overall (odd, for a book in which horse-racing is so central), and with a plot which is fairly straightforward but very much character-driven, which was great. As the first half of a two-book set it was very good, but readers will want to get the second book to complete the story.
The book is written in a voice which I found quite hard-nosed - but which was a good fit for July, who was raised in the pragmatic racing world. This made it unusual in the area of YA romance, where girls are usually a good deal softer. Of course, July has her vulnerabilities, but she rarely allows them to show. I was left with an impression that a significant proportion of the book was autobiographical, and although it's probably impossible to say which parts, I felt that this added to the impact of the story.
Strongly recommended for those who prefer a dark horse in the YA romance stakes ;-) ( )
  DavidR1958 | Jul 4, 2017 |
Love horse books and have since I was a YA myself. I enjoyed reading this well-written book about the racing world. This book had everything: lots of horses and author obviously has a lot of knowledge about this world, a sweet romance, and a solid main character, who is equally introspective, self-aware and still young enough to be realistic.

katsmiao | Oct 23, 2015 |
An engrossing, complex and realistic book about a girl who is trying to come to terms with her mother's abandonment, her father and sister's distance, her own adolescence and what it means for her as she ponders her future in the horse world in which she grew up. I love this book for many reasons: I am tired of books about girls and horses where the girls are mean and competitive with each other and there has to be a villain. This book had none of that and any conflict in the book came from trying to make sense of important familial issues, love relationships and her friendships. I really enjoyed the details about the racing world and the ins and outs of loving and caring for horses. And I was moved by July's growth as a teenager with some important decisions to make as she moves deeper in late adolescence. This is my favorite horse book that I have read and as a mother of a daughter who loves horses, this says alot!

Thank you to NetGallery for giving me the opportunity to review this boo for an honest opinion. ( )
  Karen59 | Jul 24, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,445,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible