Wicked Ride by Rebecca Zanetti

Wicked Ride (Realm Enforcers #1) by Rebecca Zanetti, was a well written, enjoyable first book in her new Realm Enforcers series. I was a little bit worried knowing it was a spin-off from the Dark Protectors series, as I haven’t read that series yet( its on my TBR list). For those that may have those same feelings, have no fear, the author fills in enough info, that you really don’t know this is a spin-off.

The story has mix of PNR species (witches, shifters, vanpires, demons etc.), strong family ties, and close friendships. Our lead character Kellach is a Coven Nine Enforcer, a sexy alpha male; Alexandra is a local detective with the Seattle police. The attraction between the two is rather instant, but there’s enough push/pull and secrets between the two to make the relationship fun. Both Kell and Lex are written as intelligent, strong, supportive of family and good at their jobs characters.

The main supporting characters are Kell’s brothers (Daire & Adam), his cousin (Simone), and a shifter named Bear, Secondary supporting characters include, King, Logan, Garrett, and Lex’s sister Tori. I imagine that future books will involve and expand the roles of these characters as well as adding additional characters for each book’s plot.

Wicked Ride involves sex, drugs, weapons, a threat to the witches, a side of “bikers with bad attitudes” and clashing legal issues. There’s humor, sarcasm, misunderstandings, alpha male behavior, friendship, and did I mention sex? The writing is strong, the characters developed enough to like or dislike, and the plot is concluded in a satisfactory fashion, with an HEA.

I was given this advanced ARC by NetGalley on behalf of Kensington Books - Lyrical Press for an honest review. The expected publication date is June 23, 2015.

Overall this was a 4 star read for me and I’m looking forward to the next book in the series.

kerbytejas | Mar 25, 2016 |
I really like this author so I was excited when I saw this title available on Netgalley. Unfortunately I did not realize this is a spinoff series. That's the 2nd book in a row where this has happened to me, I wish it would be a little more clear in the blurb when it's a spinoff. I have not read the original series, Dark Protectors, where I think a lot of the world building and character introduction was done. So I felt lost at times while reading this book and was not able to connect with characters as much as I like.

The characters in this series are a mix of witches and humans, with a spare shifter, vamp and demon thrown in here and there. I liked all of the witches, even though I found it a bit odd that male witches were not referred to as warlocks or some such masculine denotation. Our hero, Kellach, and his brothers, Adam and Daire, are all uber-alpha male immortal witches from Ireland with an Irish brogue that seemed to fade in and out. The brothers have arrived in Seattle to find the source of a drug, Apollo, that is harmful to witches and is being tested on humans. I really liked Kellach. I didn't feel like he threw his dominance around in a bad way. He was respectful of his mate, took the time to (attempt to) communicate with her, and he certainly could steam up the sheets.

Kellach's infiltration into a motorcycle club dealing Apollo lands him in the path of homicide detective, Alexandra Monzelle, who is a crusader in the war on drugs. (As a side note, I think a better fit for her would have been a narcotics detective instead of homicide, but that's a pet peeve due to my profession.) Anyway, Lex's goal is to get Apollo off the streets and she is extremely bull-headed in her determination. I could not stand her character, she rubbed me in such a wrong way that I found myself yelling at my Kindle. (People on the ferry probably thought I was crazy.) She constantly jumped to conclusions, flew off the handle, and failed to communicate with her mate. But it seems she learned those traits from her mother who behaved similarly but in a completely opposite fashion. Lex's mom had blind faith in her her horrible ex-husband while Lex did everything to sabotage the relationship with Kellach. She is just one of those characters I want to shake until their teeth rattle.

Other than Lex, the story was decent and kept me interested enough to keep reading. I loved the dynamic between the family and how they all supported one another. I was cheering for Kellach when he put Lex in her place for how she treated Simone (Kell's witchy cousin). The drama/suspense part of the plot was also decent, this supernatural drug Apollo that has freaky side effects. And I loved all the secondary characters, especially Bear, Garret and Logan.

Before I read any more of this series though, I think I need to go back and read the Dark Protectors so I have a better understanding of what's going on.

I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. 3 stars / 3 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Can any one be more Alpha than Kellach? Probably his big brother Daire but that's an alpha male for another day. This was the first time I've read anything by Rebecca Zanetti but while reading the synopsis on NetGalley I immediately felt the urge to request it, which is unusual for me because I request and read many books but rarely feel I "must" read a book. And I was not disappointed. Mystery, intrigue, twisted families, a variety of supernatural creatures and all that hot romance between Kellach and Alexandra is a winning combination. Makes me really want to go back and read the Dark Protectors series so I can acquaint myself with all the characters. In fact it's all gone on to my TBR list. I am definitely looking forward to the next book in the series.

ARC provided in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Ash_P | Mar 8, 2016 |
I won an Amazon gift card from a Rebecca Zanetti contest and immediately went to Amazon to buy this book in print. I am so not liking reading on my Kindle. I had a few books ahead of this one, but finally I got to read it and enjoyed the book greatly. It has all the elements of a quick moving paranormal spicy romance with a side of danger. Neither the romance, sexy scenes or the police action overwhelmed the other. That made the story nicely balanced and kept my interest. ( )
  susanbeamon | Jan 1, 2016 |
Arc received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This is the first book that I have read by this author and I truly wasn't disappointed.

We meet Lex a cop and she is on a mission to bring down all to do with drugs, this is due to her childhood and she still suffers now.

Kell is one alpha male and has a secret of his own, but his mission is the same as Lex's.

Their paths cross and this becomes more than a war on drugs, it also ignites a passion between the two of them.

I love Lex's character as she is a strong woman and doesn't take no shit, she knows what she has to do and no one will stop her in achieving her goal.

This is a fantastic paranormal read and I will be looking forward to book 2. I will also be looking at this authors previous books. ( )
  Obsessed-by-Books | Dec 24, 2015 |

Alexandra Monzelle is a hard-fighting, heat-packing Seattle vice cop, and she's not much interested in being protected. Her short skirt and sex-kitten heels are tools to lure her suspects into talking about the deadly new drug hitting the streets. She can take care of herself and then some. Unfortunately, she can't seem to get that through to Kellach Dunne. Kellach is a fresh import from Dublin, and he's landed at the heart of a vicious motorcycle club that deals in guns, narcotics, and mayhem. He's all male, all rough power -- and all interference in her damn investigation. Maybe he's one of the good guys. Maybe not. Lex knows an affair with an immortal like him would risk everything. No matter how delicious he looks.&… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,742,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible