Tides of Honour by Genevieve Graham

Tides of Honour

by Genevieve Graham

Danny Baker leaves his small fishing village of East Jeddore, Nova Scotia in 1916 for war-torn France. While marching through France, Danny is fortunate enough to meet Audrey Poulin, an artist, free spirit and a woman who brings light and color to the bleak landscape of war. Through an exchange of letters, Danny and Audrey fall in love and decide to marry. However, at the battle of the Somme Danny loses more than he can imagine, most of his friends have died and he has lost part of his leg. Now in a battle with his own emotions, Danny is sent home to Canada. Audrey soon meets him there and they are married. Danny struggles with his own shortcomings and the impacts of the war. He decides that a move to Halifax and a job on the docks with his brother is for the best. When catastrophe strikes again, this time in Halifax, Danny’s world is completely changed, but his love for Audrey will help him pull through.

A story of war, tragedy, love, family and transformation, Tides of Honour is touching and powerful. From the beginning, I knew that Danny was going to be a strong character, his journey, though tumultuous, is one that many veterans dealt with and still face today. In alternating narratives, Danny's story is filled out and another needed perspective is seen with Audrey's view. Audrey is a survivor as well and her story is just as important. The historical setting was unique and well researched. I was very happy to read about Canadian's fighting in the Great War, as they are often overlooked as well as the little known Halifax explosion. I was very interested in this since my great-grandmother lived nearby at the time. What impressed me the most was the incorporation of Danny and Audrey's love story into the events surrounding them. Their love story is not perfect, but it is lasting. Like the tides rolling in and out, Audrey and Danny's love is for better or for worse.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review ( )
  Mishker | Aug 1, 2016 |
Ahh, historical fiction in times of war - a favourite of mine. The tagline on the cover of Genevieve Graham's new book Tides of Honour made this a must read for me - "Halifax 1917 - Love in a Time of War. Canadian historical fiction!

Tides of Honour opens in 1916 with Danny Baker returning home from WWI to the small fishing outport of East Jeddore, Nova Scotia - minus a leg. While in France, Danny had met a young woman named Audrey. Both smitten, they had struck up a written correspondence that sustained them both through troubled times. They plan to marry when the war is over, but with the loss of his leg, Danny tries to end it. Tides of Honour is told from both Danny and Audrey's perspective, with both protagonists having their own chapters.

Graham has woven a lovely historical piece around war, the aftermath and it's effect on individuals, communities and society. The Halifax Explosion is part of history every Canadian should know about and Graham depicts it very well. But, it is romance that is at the heart of this novel. Graham hits all the right notes for a love story - love found, love lost, barriers (social, mental, physical and there's a well drawn antagonist it's impossible not to dislike) and a rocky path to resolution. I became caught up in Danny and Audrey's story - hoping for a happy ending. I did find that there were perhaps one too many 'push me, pull me, yes or no moments' near the end of the novel. And, I question a plot point involving Audrey, given her interest and support of the Suffragette movement. But that aside, I was caught up in their story from start to finish.

I loved the setting - I've traveled to Nova Scotia and visited both Halifax and the area around Jeddore. Graham did a wonderful job bringing these locations to life - I was able to easily envision them. The easy community, friendliness and perseverance of the Nova Scotians is just as well portrayed through the supporting players. Graham herself makes her home on the island - her first hand view shows in her work.

Tides of Honour is an easy, enjoyable read perfect for the back porch after dinner. ( )
  Twink | Apr 27, 2015 |

In the summer of 1916, Private Daniel Baker, a soldier with Nova Scotia's 25th Battalion, meets Audrey Poulin, a lonely French artist, by chance and they fall in love. Danny is wounded in the battle of the Somme and the lovers find themselves building a new life in Halifax just as a new catastrophe threatens.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,563,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible