A Little Christmas music by King's Singers

A Little Christmas music

by King's Singers

312,001,085 (4.5)None
Recently added byJean_Sexton, ebr_vts, Linda_22003

Another great Christmas music collection by The King's Singers. I like their close harmonies which are frequently a capella, but the addition of the City of London Sinfonia adds a layer of complexity and fun.

I find it particularly appropriate that the recording opens with Here We Come A-Wassailing. Favorites include I Wonder as I Wander, We Wish You a Merry Christmas, Ding Dong! Merrily on High, Gaudete (beautifully accompanied by a brass quintet), all of the Three Spanish Carols, The Wexford Carol, and The Gift. I enjoyed the finale of Patapan and Farandole.

While A Little Christmas Music - Medley a la Mozart (featuring Kiri Te Kanawa) made me giggle, I suspect it won't be everyone's cup of tea. If you like P.D.Q. Bach (as I do), I think you will find it amusing. The Coventry Carol is a very different arrangement. The dissonance forces me to listen to the words. I'd become complacent about this song, not thinking at all about Herod's actions. It won't be my favorite, but I am glad it exists to remind me of that dark incident. Deck the Halls is very typical British humor and, again, not everyone's cup of tea.

I think, as I look at my favorites, that the addition of the Sinfonia let The King's Singers do more with their voices since the instruments could carry some of the melodies. It also distinguishes it from their other Christmas CDs.

I'd recommend this to fans of The King's Singers and to people who enjoy Christmas music, if they don't mind a few songs with an unexpected twist. If you like The King's Singers, Christmas music, and P.D.Q. Bach, then this CD is for you.

I'd give this collection 4.5 stars because I think some folks just wouldn't enjoy the three songs I mention (thus I would be cautious about sharing it). ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Nov 2, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,507,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible