Traitor's Gate by Charlie Newton

Traitor's Gate

by Charlie Newton

I'm not the best audience for this genre -- the conspiracy action-suspense novel. This one involves Nazis, Palestinians, and American oil men in the 1930s when the Germans want to get their hands on the methodology for manufacturing high octane gasoline for their warplanes and the Americans want to prevent them and get their hands on it, too. The major subplot involves an unbelievable female Palestinian freedom fighter who admires American history but prefers contemporary German intentions that she feels will further her political interests.

Suitable amounts of gruesome violence interrupt episodes of people getting beaten up. People transport themselves and the reader is transported to numerous geographical locations with breakneck speed that is dizzying. I suppose the frequent flyer miles are intended to keep the pace of the novel at breakneck speed, too. But it just made me airsick.

Anyway, I abandoned the story somewhere in the desert, or maybe in the middle of a body-rendering explosion, or it could have been a European capital, no -- I think it was in an oil field somewhere, either Texas, or Oklahoma, or the Middle East. Wish I could remember. I do remember I was rendered incapable of finishing the book.

Readers who like their red meat fiction raw will want to pick this novel for their next read. There are some interesting bits about catalytic cracking of crude and pre-WWII Middle Eastern politics, but those subjects didn't hold much interest for me when covered in blood. ( )
  Limelite | Aug 29, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 147784936X, Paperback)

The drums of war beat amid global economic ruin. The skies, not the trenches, will decide the survivors. Rich men marshal their resources as all sides race to acquire 100-octane aviation gasoline, an unproven, unstable witches’ brew that could fuel the fastest attack aircraft. In a brutal maze of corporate treason, personal blackmail, and imperfect heroism, a young, brilliant petroleum engineer battling the Dust Bowl in Oklahoma may hold the key.

Eight years ago in Jerusalem, schoolgirl Saba Hassouneh survived the murder of her family. Sentenced to the barbaric refugee camps, Saba is freed by a legendary Bedouin freedom-fighter. She embraces his life of a bandit/rebel, evolving into a fearsome Arab nationalist femme de guerre hunted by the colonial powers and religious mullahs. Saba has one mission: free her people.

An epic historical thriller from acclaimed author Charlie Newton, Traitor’s Gate races toward the first shot of WWII. As the world’s true rulers vie for dominion, two unlikely lovers collide. Their attraction is immediate, their goals opposite.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 30 Jul 2015 09:07:16 -0400)

Just before World War II, a petroleum engineer working in Oklahoma holds the key to an internationally sought-after aviation fuel, while in Jerusalem, schoolgirl Saba Hassouneh is freed from a refugee camp and becomes a fearsome Arab nationalist fighter.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,427,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible