The Constitution: An Introduction by Michael…

The Constitution: An Introduction

by Michael Stokes Paulsen

302367,255 (5)None

I wish the media pundits and talking heads would at least glance at the Constitution before they pontificate. Excellent portal into the workings of the Supreme Court, easy to read and timely. ( )
  4bonasa | Mar 11, 2016 |
This is a really great book. The authors do not hesitate to give their opinions in regard to issues but those opinions, at least till we get to recent times, are pretty much in line with my own so I found the book great reading. The book does an amazingly good job in its 333 pages in telling the history of the Constitutional Convention and of the events affecting the Constitution in the years since. Few can disagree with the authors 'view that the original Constitution's greatest flaw was in its straddle in regard to slavery and that the Dred Scott decision was probably the worst decision ever issued by the Supreme Court. I did not agree with the authors in regard to their view of some recent Supreme Court decisons but their view is never extreme or less than thoughtful, so I think the book will be found to be worthwhile by most readers. It certainly was worthwhile for me, ( )
  Schmerguls | Feb 7, 2016 |

From war powers to health care, freedom of speech to gun ownership, religious liberty to abortion, practically every aspect of American life is shaped by the Constitution. This vital document, along with its history of political and judicial interpretation, governs our individual lives and the life of our nation. Yet most of us know surprisingly little about the Constitution itself, and are woefully unprepared to think for ourselves about recent developments in its long and storied history.

The Constitution: An Introduction is the definitive modern primer on the US Constitution. Michael Stokes Paulsen, one of the nation’s most provocative and accomplished scholars of the Constitution, and his son Luke Paulsen, a gifted young writer and lay scholar, have combined to write a lively introduction to the supreme law of the United States, covering the Constitution’s history and meaning in clear, accessible terms.

Beginning with the Constitution’s birth in 1787, Paulsen and Paulsen offer a grand tour of its provisions, principles, and interpretation, introducing readers to the characters and controversies that have shaped the Constitution in the 200-plus years since its creation. Along the way, the authors provide correctives to the shallow myths and partial truths that pervade so much popular treatment of the Constitution, from school textbooks to media accounts of today’s controversies, and offer powerful insights into the Constitution’s true meaning.

A lucid and engaging guide, The Constitution: An Introduction provides readers with the tools to think critically and independently about constitutional issues—a skill that is ever more essential to the continued flourishing of American democracy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 30 Jul 2015 08:10:23 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible