dismiss

Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis

Mere Christianity

by C. S. Lewis

20,189173122 (4.27)1 / 217
Mere Christianity is C.S. Lewis's forceful and accessible doctrine of Christian belief. First heard as informal radio broadcasts and then published as three separate books, The Case for Christianity, Christian behavior, and Beyond personality, Mere Christianity brings together what Lewis sees as the fundamental truths of religion. Rejecting the boundaries that divide Christianity's many denominations, C.S.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, NatBVM, blackwaterlilies, SErlebach, abdiel91, yfarrington, MadocBear, TSealine, OLCLibrary
Legacy LibrariesAnne Sexton

English (170)  Dutch (1)  All languages (171)
DISCO D: BACKUP / TEOLOGIA
VIDA CRISTIANA / GENERAL
  abdiel91 | Jun 2, 2020 |
C. S. Lewis’s Mere Christianity was geared to rally Christian readers. The author explained that believers would know what was right or wrong based on their conscience. It seemed as though one’s conscience has to be nurtured as an individual matures. However Lewis never alluded to this, but wrote that a person’s conscience was inherent. Another point of focus throughout the text was putting on Christ, so that believers would become like “little Christs.” They have to do so in order that they were in full alignment with the body of Christ – for believers are “one organic body.”
In Mere Christianity the author often referred to Christians having “free will.” They, he argued have the ability to choose between what’s right and wrong. He stated that for Christians to be in good standing and achieve perfection they should follow the teachings of the Christian faith. This he saw as fundamental to being a Christian. Some writers have questioned if there’s such a thing as “free will.” A neuro-scientist Sam Harris felt that much of the way people would behave and react are based on the chemical components of their brain.
Lewis was of the opinion that in mankind’s evolutionary nature there would be a new development of Homo sapiens. The author stated that this phenomenon has already occurred by the way Christians put on Christ. Believers would be “new beings.” These would be marked changes he saw that weren’t merely physical but spiritual. The book though was a worthwhile primer for those Christians who wished to be nurtured in contemporary Christian thought by a layperson’s insights. Lewis himself referred to himself as being only a layman without the theological training of a seminarian. ( )
  erwinkennythomas | Apr 26, 2020 |
A very helpful book for those wishing to learn about what Christians believe. CS Lewis very carefully lays out the steps of logic as to how these beliefs are formed and what it means to follow the Christian lifestyle. Interesting and informative.
1 vote Welfycat | Mar 3, 2020 |
A classic defense of Christianity. ( )
1 vote SharileeSwaity | Oct 26, 2019 |
The booked rocked until the last chapter when the storyteller surfaced!! ( )
1 vote TonyAnderson | Oct 16, 2019 |
Mere Christianity is full of memorable and powerful revelations that elucidate the foundations of Christian theology, our relationship to God, and the meaning of life. Only C.S. Lewis could summarize such broad concepts so eloquently without coming across as overly-religious or preachy. His extraordinary ability to focus on the core tenets of Christianity and explain them with remarkable ease reinforces the wide appeal of his writings.

Regarding man's relationship with and need for God:

God designed the human machine to run on Himself. He Himself is the fuel our spirits were designed to burn, or the food our spirits were designed to feed on. There is no other. That is why it is just not good asking God to make us happy in our own way without bothering about religion. God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing.

Regarding true happiness and freedom:

The happiness which God designs for His higher creatures is the happiness of being freely, voluntarily united to Him and each other in an ecstasy of love and delight compared with which the most rapturous love between a man and a woman on this earth is mere milk and water. And for that they must be free.

On pursuing truth and finding comfort in our lives:

In religion, as in war and everything else, comfort is one thing you cannot get by looking for it. If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end: if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth -- only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin with and, in the end, despair.

In a world that is often hostile to religion, particularly the Christian faith, Mere Christianity stands as a testament to truth, love, faith, and the value of human life; its enduring and inspiring message shines like a beacon, guiding and helping all those who have eyes to see and ears to listen.

Mere Christianity is a long walk, through which Lewis holds your hand the entire time. It isn’t so much long in size (my copy is 191 pages) as it is in attention to detail. Lewis begins with human nature, the law, the ability to discern between right and wrong, and step-by-step, slowly but surely, comes to understand Christianity and God manifested all the way down to, by the end of the book, our daily lives and our every moments...Lewis does more than just “prove” Christianity, if you will. In establishing the Christian God as the only reasonable solution to, you know, everything going on in the universe ever, Lewis provides and expounds upon a context through which things like forgiveness, sexual morality, charity, hope, and faith can all be understood more fully in their role in the church.

I am well aware of Lewis' writing talent and he is clearly an intelligent individual, so I feel unqualified to "critique" Mr. Lewis. However, I would like to comment on why, at least for me, Lewis' arguments for the existence of God are uncompelling.

Cotton candy apologetics - engaging and conversational but shallow.

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gresham, DouglasForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liljeqvist, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norris, KathleenForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nylén, AnttiForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rhind-Tutt, JulianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every one has heard people quarrelling.
You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.
A man who jibbed at authority in other things as some people do in religion would have to be content to know nothing all his life.
The bad psychological material is not a sin but a disease. It does not need to be repented of, but to be cured... Human beings judge one another by their external actions. God judges them by their moral choices.
We must get over wanting to be needed: in some goodish people, specially women, that is the hardest of all temptations to resist.
How monotonously alike all the great tyrants and conquerors have been: how gloriously different are the saints.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,680,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible