Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis

Mere Christianity (edition 2009)

by C. S. Lewis (Author)

18,844164123 (4.27)1 / 212
Member:Immanuel_Library
Title:Mere Christianity
Authors:C. S. Lewis (Author)
Info:William Collins (2009), Edition: Anniversary Ed, 98 pages
Collections:Apologetics, Your library

Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis

English (162)  Dutch (1)  All languages (163)
CS Lewis is a brilliant man who is far more logical than I am myself. Because of that, I must admit, I didn't fully understand the entirety of the book. I had a hard time reading it because this type of book (but really any book that doesn't have a fictional plot line) is hard for me to get into and hold an interest in. But that is really on me and not on Lewis. He's a fantastic writer and makes some excellent points on Christianity in this book. There wasn't anything that I disagreed with, either. However, the reason I picked the book up was for a class I'm taking and otherwise, probably wouldn't have read it all. Still, I do recommend it for Christians and non-Christians alike, especially if one is curious about what Christianity is. The only reason I didn't give a full five star review was simply because this is not my kind of book. ( )
  StilesIsMyBatman | May 2, 2019 |
Mere Christianity is a theological book by C. S. Lewis, adapted from a series of BBC radio talks made between 1941 and 1944, while Lewis was at Oxford during the Second World War.
  StFrancisofAssisi | Apr 30, 2019 |
The contents of this book were first given on the air, and then published in three separate parts as The Case for Christianity (1943), Christian Behaviour (1943), and Beyond Personality (1945) with edits he made only to make his broadcast have the same emphasis in the written form. The author has gone to great effort to write in the spirit of common Christianity and not delve into specific doctrine. More of what units us to Christianity and in his way the author has. Though I felt he was light on some areas of theology this was not what the author was writing about so I read it with an open heart. The author is humble and I believe honest in his writings and this is a good introductory book on Christian apologetics. ( )
  hermit | Apr 21, 2019 |
Pretty deep. Had to read it slowly. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Apr 3, 2019 |
C. S. Lewis hurt my brain. I’m gonna need to read this book over and over again to actually understand it! ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
I am well aware of Lewis' writing talent and he is clearly an intelligent individual, so I feel unqualified to "critique" Mr. Lewis. However, I would like to comment on why, at least for me, Lewis' arguments for the existence of God are uncompelling.

Cotton candy apologetics - engaging and conversational but shallow.

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gresham, DouglasForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liljeqvist, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norris, KathleenForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nylén, AnttiForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rhind-Tutt, JulianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every one has heard people quarrelling.
You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.
A man who jibbed at authority in other things as some people do in religion would have to be content to know nothing all his life.
The bad psychological material is not a sin but a disease. It does not need to be repented of, but to be cured... Human beings judge one another by their external actions. God judges them by their moral choices.
We must get over wanting to be needed: in some goodish people, specially women, that is the hardest of all temptations to resist.
How monotonously alike all the great tyrants and conquerors have been: how gloriously different are the saints.
The 'Lewis' DVD sets which feature sergeant Lewis, in the British television series, have nothing to do with the author C.S.Lewis.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060652926, Paperback)

In 1943 Great Britain, when hope and the moral fabric of society were threatened by the relentless inhumanity of global war, an Oxford don was invited to give a series of radio lectures addressing the central issues of Christianity. Over half a century after the original lectures, the topic retains it urgency. Expanded into book form, Mere Christianity never flinches as it sets out a rational basis for Christianity and builds an edifice of compassionate morality atop this foundation. As Mr. Lewis clearly demonstrates, Christianity is not a religion of flitting angels and blind faith, but of free will, an innate sense of justice and the grace of God.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:34 -0400)

Discusses the essence of Christian faith and the doctrine of the Trinity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,920,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible