Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis

Mere Christianity (original 1943; edition 2001)

by C. S. Lewis

Member:wcfreels
Title:Mere Christianity
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperOne (2001), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 227 pages

Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis (1943)

English (140)  Dutch (1)  All languages (141)
An excellent book which builds brick upon brick to explain the Christian faith and why we believe as we do. Fabulous, even the third time through...and it may take you that many times to begin to follow C.S. Lewis' logic. ( )
  highlander6022 | Mar 16, 2016 |
This is the edited transcript of some radio talks Lewis gave in the 1940s on the subject of faith in general and Christian belief. When I first read this book as a teenager I was blown away by the writing, the logic and Lewis’s conclusions.

Reading it again, decades later, I’m able to perceive a few flaws here and there, and realise that much of what he says is now quite dated. But he presents his case respectfully, beginning with the idea of a ‘moral code’ to which the majority of people would aspire to, gently introducing the idea of an intelligent being who created us.

Not all Christians agree with CS Lewis’s standpoints; many perceive him as ‘liberal’, and some of his beliefs (such as his strong patriotism) jar a little at times. But I rate him as one of the clearest exponents of belief for ordinary people, from an academic standpoint yet in the kind of language that’s accessible to all.

Very highly recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Feb 20, 2016 |

Great book, 4th Part has some parts that are so so, but also some of the best insights. ( )
  JaredChristopherson | Nov 16, 2015 |
Loved this book when I read about 10 years ago. It was not easy to read at that time, but now I realize this book was fairly easily written for readers in general. Explaining about fundamentals and basics of Christian theology. ( )
  gracesuh | Nov 10, 2015 |
It goes without saying that C. S. Lewis possessed a brilliant mind. This work is no proof of that brilliance, no doubt is the intended audience. Written as radio addresses at a time when Christianity was on the decline in Britain, Mere Christianity abounds with far to many "everyman" analogies and simplified explanations to be intellectually or spiritually engaging. For such one needs to go to the apologias Newman or to the theological works of Tillich, Kung or Weil. Lewis's radio addresses are homely, but not satisfying. ( )
  lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
I am well aware of Lewis' writing talent and he is clearly an intelligent individual, so I feel unqualified to "critique" Mr. Lewis. However, I would like to comment on why, at least for me, Lewis' arguments for the existence of God are uncompelling.

Cotton candy apologetics - engaging and conversational but shallow.

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gresham, DouglasForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norris, KathleenForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nylén, AnttiForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every one has heard people quarrelling.
"You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to."
"A man who jibbed at authority in other things as some people do in religion would have to be content to know nothing all his life."
"The bad psychological material is not a sin but a disease. It does not need to be repented of, but to be cured... Human beings judge one another by their external actions. God judges them by their moral choices."
"We must get over wanting to be needed: in some goodish people, specially women, that is the hardest of all temptations to resist."
"How monotonously alike all the great tyrants and conquerors have been: how gloriously different are the saints."
The 'Lewis' DVD sets which feature sergeant Lewis,in the British television series,have nothing to do with the author C.S.Lewis.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060652926, Paperback)

In 1943 Great Britain, when hope and the moral fabric of society were threatened by the relentless inhumanity of global war, an Oxford don was invited to give a series of radio lectures addressing the central issues of Christianity. Over half a century after the original lectures, the topic retains it urgency. Expanded into book form, Mere Christianity never flinches as it sets out a rational basis for Christianity and builds an edifice of compassionate morality atop this foundation. As Mr. Lewis clearly demonstrates, Christianity is not a religion of flitting angels and blind faith, but of free will, an innate sense of justice and the grace of God.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:34 -0400)

Discusses the essence of Christian faith and the doctrine of the Trinity.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible