Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis

Mere Christianity (original 1943; edition 2001)

by C. S. Lewis

16,768151106 (4.27)1 / 203
Member:wcfreels
Title:Mere Christianity
Authors:C. S. Lewis
Info:HarperOne (2001), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 227 pages

Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis (1943)

Recently added byprivate library, rebmichi, tac18, apiago, Triple347, JoeKlein, shirsh-dickinson
Legacy LibrariesAnne Sexton

English (149)  Dutch (1)  All (150)
It has been interesting to look at this post-seminary. It is remarkably accessible and easy to grasp, while at the same time being sufficiently sophisticated in its theology. When I first read it, C.S. Lewis was the most amazing and deep theological figure read regularly by those in my church circles (probably still true). Reading this after having got some theology under my belt, I was impressed with the breadth of theological influences I hear whispered in the text. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
Enjoyed his arguments in favor of faith and belief.

I didn't go for his explanation of the trinity. ( )
  nx74defiant | Apr 30, 2017 |
It almost seems silly to write a review of such a wonderful piece of literature. This is, of course, a fantastic book. Whether you're a Christian or not, the book appeals on an intellectual level. Highly recommended. ( )
  TheMadTurtle | Mar 21, 2017 |
I've read C. S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, Till We Have Faces, A Grief Observed and several other of his books, some fiction, fantasy and some essays, but this book was different- it read more like a conversation between Lewis and the reader. Mere Christianity is a compilation of three books which were originally radio broadcasts. I very much appreciated the informal tone throughout, and his quick wit and his explanations of key Christian doctrines. He wisely avoided going into specific denominational stances so to appeal to the larger Christian audience.

Lewis was gifted in how he explained concepts using analogies. There were many analogies that helped me, but one of my favorites was how he tried to explain the idea of God being outside of time:

If you picture time as a straight line along which we have to travel, then you must picture God as the whole page on which the line is drawn. We come to the parts of the line one by one; we have to leave A behind before we get to B, and cannot reach C until we leave B behind. God, from above or outside or all around, contains the whole line, and sees it all.

This book took me awhile to read; I found myself underlining so many paragraphs, and so I think this will be added to my books to re-read shelf. I'd like to read his other works now; The Abolition of Man, Miracles, and The Weight of Glory are but a few on my list! ( )
1 vote homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
One of my favorite books of all time. His analysis and use of symbolism brings great clarity to Christianity. C.S. Lewis writings have always been essential to my understanding of God's word. His work is admirable, and his conversion inspiring. ( )
  MissCogswell | Sep 19, 2016 |
I am well aware of Lewis' writing talent and he is clearly an intelligent individual, so I feel unqualified to "critique" Mr. Lewis. However, I would like to comment on why, at least for me, Lewis' arguments for the existence of God are uncompelling.

Cotton candy apologetics - engaging and conversational but shallow.

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gresham, DouglasForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norris, KathleenForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nylén, AnttiForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every one has heard people quarrelling.
"You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to."
"A man who jibbed at authority in other things as some people do in religion would have to be content to know nothing all his life."
"The bad psychological material is not a sin but a disease. It does not need to be repented of, but to be cured... Human beings judge one another by their external actions. God judges them by their moral choices."
"We must get over wanting to be needed: in some goodish people, specially women, that is the hardest of all temptations to resist."
"How monotonously alike all the great tyrants and conquerors have been: how gloriously different are the saints."
The 'Lewis' DVD sets which feature sergeant Lewis, in the British television series, have nothing to do with the author C.S.Lewis.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060652926, Paperback)

In 1943 Great Britain, when hope and the moral fabric of society were threatened by the relentless inhumanity of global war, an Oxford don was invited to give a series of radio lectures addressing the central issues of Christianity. Over half a century after the original lectures, the topic retains it urgency. Expanded into book form, Mere Christianity never flinches as it sets out a rational basis for Christianity and builds an edifice of compassionate morality atop this foundation. As Mr. Lewis clearly demonstrates, Christianity is not a religion of flitting angels and blind faith, but of free will, an innate sense of justice and the grace of God.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:34 -0400)

Discusses the essence of Christian faith and the doctrine of the Trinity.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,166,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible