Mere Christianity by C. S Lewis

Mere Christianity (original 1943; edition 1984)

by C. S Lewis

Member:wildbill
Title:Mere Christianity
Authors:C. S Lewis
Info:Macmillan Pub. Co (1984), Edition: Macmillan paperbacks ed, Paperback
Tags:Christian apologia

Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis (1943)

Recently added bypierrotsz, lorannen, private library, Sarahlinbook, Pages_Aplenty, jallanmitchell
Legacy LibrariesAnne Sexton

Great book! Will be re-read many times over. ( )
  beccac220 | Jul 12, 2014 |
With this introduction to Christianity, Lewis proves he is one of the greatest Christian writers, and Mere Christianity rightly takes its place as one of the most accessible works both by Lewis and on Christianity. Though not by any means an apologia for Christianity, it reminds its readers of the truly important matters of faith and makes often complex theology attractive and exciting. An essential book for any Christian on any stage of their journey in faith, and for those too who are sincerely inquisitive about the claims of Christianity. ( )
1 vote xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
I started this during Lent because it seemed likely a timely book. Reading it also coincided with my decision to leave church for awhile. I’d been experiencing doubt for some time and going to church wasn’t fulfilling anymore. I finished the book anyway. I found very little that I disagreed with, which was expected. After all, He wrote it specifically to describe the very basics of Christianity. I’ve heard religious leaders of various denominations all praise this book, because they find it gets to the crux of what makes a Christian Christian, without alienating based on the variations present in the myriad denominations. I enjoyed the book. He writes in a style that is easy to read and that is neither patronizing nor above one’s head. It takes real talent to write on a topic like this and achieve that balance in writing style.

If you are looking for a basic introduction to Christianity, this is definitely the book to read. ( )
  Jessiqa | May 5, 2014 |

Some really good parts, great insight and intuitions, but overall I was surprised by the constant use of absolutely made-up and custom-made logic to try and defend Christian dogmas. This annoyed me, because all through the book there are so many strong points and intuitions.

I will bring here just a couple of examples of his made- up logic: when Lewis explains the reasons behind man's "free will", he wants to answer the question: "how can anything happen contrary to a being with absolute power?" , and he makes the example of a mother who tells her children what to do, but they often don't do it. That, in itself, is a wrong sillogism, because a mother has no absolute power over her children. But then he says that free will is the only thing that makes possible love and beauty etc. while "a world of automata would hardly be worth creating". Why?? Why would it hardly be worth creating? Who knows what God considers worth or not worth creating? That is one of the many statements that Lewis makes that seem to be coming out of his own personal logic rather than proper, strict logical reasoning.

Other reviewers have highlighted the several logical fallacies in this book, so I'll stop here. Thanks for reading. ( )
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |
Just another tedious christian apologisits book. Mere Christianity is logically weak, filled with antiquated views, and ignorant of some basic social science. Give it a miss. ( )
2 vote bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
Cotton candy apologetics - engaging and conversational but shallow.

I am well aware of Lewis' writing talent and he is clearly an intelligent individual, so I feel unqualified to "critique" Mr. Lewis. However, I would like to comment on why, at least for me, Lewis' arguments for the existence of God are uncompelling.

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gresham, DouglasForewordmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Nylén, AnttiForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every one has heard people quarrelling.
"You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to."
"A man who jibbed at authority in other things as some people do in religion would have to be content to know nothing all his life."
"The bad psychological material is not a sin but a disease. It does not need to be repented of, but to be cured... Human beings judge one another by their external actions. God judges them by their moral choices."
"We must get over wanting to be needed: in some goodish people, specially women, that is the hardest of all temptations to resist."
"How monotonously alike all the great tyrants and conquerors have been: how gloriously different are the saints."
The 'Lewis' DVD sets which feature sergeant Lewis,in the British television series,have nothing to do with the author C.S.Lewis.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060652926, Paperback)

In 1943 Great Britain, when hope and the moral fabric of society were threatened by the relentless inhumanity of global war, an Oxford don was invited to give a series of radio lectures addressing the central issues of Christianity. Over half a century after the original lectures, the topic retains it urgency. Expanded into book form, Mere Christianity never flinches as it sets out a rational basis for Christianity and builds an edifice of compassionate morality atop this foundation. As Mr. Lewis clearly demonstrates, Christianity is not a religion of flitting angels and blind faith, but of free will, an innate sense of justice and the grace of God.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:34 -0400)

Discusses the essence of Christian faith and the doctrine of the Trinity.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,825,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible