Mere Christianity by C. S Lewis

Mere Christianity (original 1943; edition 1984)

by C. S Lewis

Member:wildbill
Title:Mere Christianity
Authors:C. S Lewis
Info:Macmillan Pub. Co (1984), Edition: Macmillan paperbacks ed, Paperback
Tags:Christian apologia

Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis (1943)

English (144)  Dutch (1)  All languages (145)
Marked book CBC office
  keithhamblen | Jun 24, 2016 |
As good as they said it would be, eager to find some of his other works - both non-fiction and fiction. Lewis has a way of explaining certain things - like Jesus as both man/God and why this was needed - to where it makes perfect sense and not in a way I've seen explained before. Lewis clearly had a gift with words and biblical insight, passing it on in an almost conversational yet meditative tone. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I had read this many years ago and seem to have internalized many of the main points. While each chapter follows flawless logic, the book as a whole (since it was cobbled together from radio talks etc) is not quite so coherent. Lewis is excellent on divorce, how much is expected from those blessed with "niceness", those who follow other religions and pretty dreadful on women (bless him!)

I enjoy his brisk, uncompromising tone and wish I had had tutorials with him. ( )
  pgchuis | Jun 2, 2016 |
Reading C.S. Lewis always puts the fear of God in me. But that can be a good thing.

This book is no exception. Lewis' arguments for the faith hold up pretty well even all these years later. Many of the things he says are relevant today, and even popular in the current climate embraced by contemporary progressives.

Lewis presents many ontological arguments, employing logic, philosophy, semantics, the nature of man, among others. Having been raised a Christian, I can't say if these things are convincing. But I can say it's a worthwhile exercise to re-examine your faith through Lewis' perspectives.

LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
An excellent book which builds brick upon brick to explain the Christian faith and why we believe as we do. Fabulous, even the third time through...and it may take you that many times to begin to follow C.S. Lewis' logic. ( )
  highlander6022 | Mar 16, 2016 |
I am well aware of Lewis' writing talent and he is clearly an intelligent individual, so I feel unqualified to "critique" Mr. Lewis. However, I would like to comment on why, at least for me, Lewis' arguments for the existence of God are uncompelling.

Cotton candy apologetics - engaging and conversational but shallow.

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gresham, DouglasForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norris, KathleenForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nylén, AnttiForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every one has heard people quarrelling.
"You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to."
"A man who jibbed at authority in other things as some people do in religion would have to be content to know nothing all his life."
"The bad psychological material is not a sin but a disease. It does not need to be repented of, but to be cured... Human beings judge one another by their external actions. God judges them by their moral choices."
"We must get over wanting to be needed: in some goodish people, specially women, that is the hardest of all temptations to resist."
"How monotonously alike all the great tyrants and conquerors have been: how gloriously different are the saints."
The 'Lewis' DVD sets which feature sergeant Lewis, in the British television series, have nothing to do with the author C.S.Lewis.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060652926, Paperback)

In 1943 Great Britain, when hope and the moral fabric of society were threatened by the relentless inhumanity of global war, an Oxford don was invited to give a series of radio lectures addressing the central issues of Christianity. Over half a century after the original lectures, the topic retains it urgency. Expanded into book form, Mere Christianity never flinches as it sets out a rational basis for Christianity and builds an edifice of compassionate morality atop this foundation. As Mr. Lewis clearly demonstrates, Christianity is not a religion of flitting angels and blind faith, but of free will, an innate sense of justice and the grace of God.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:34 -0400)

Discusses the essence of Christian faith and the doctrine of the Trinity.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,868,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible