Mere Christianity by C. S Lewis

Mere Christianity (original 1943; edition 1984)

by C. S Lewis

Member:wildbill
Title:Mere Christianity
Authors:C. S Lewis
Info:Macmillan Pub. Co (1984), Edition: Macmillan paperbacks ed, Paperback
Tags:Christian apologia

Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis (1943)

English (133)  Dutch (1)  All languages (134)
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. Our small group is going through this classic book. The small group leader is Dr. Zach Manis, one of the sharpest young minds in Christian philosophy in the country and co-author of a new book on the Philosophy of Religion. I look forward to his insights and will try to keep up.

I had never read any C.S. Lewis books in their entirety before (*GASP*, I know I just lost all credibility with that sentence). I found this to be an excellent apologetic for a seeker or a new believer. I posted the quote that meant the most to me. I think Lewis stretches some of his analogies a bit, and it's clear in one of the latter chapters he accepts Darwinian evolution at face value. Other than that, the book is a practical application of the Christian faith to daily life.

However, if C.S. Lewis had published this book today I'm pretty sure he'd be denounced as a "heretic" by many. I bet they wouldn't admit that since this book is still read in seminaries, but I don't see why you couldn't apply some conservative criticisms of Brian McLaren and Rob Bell to C.S. Lewis. Anyone agree with me?

3.5 stars out of 5. ( )
  justindtapp | Jun 3, 2015 |
D-E-E-P! ( )
  shdawson | May 5, 2015 |
Frequently brilliant, yet occasionally frustrating. Sometimes timeless, at times quite dated. What I dislike is the occasional concession-too-far when theological ground could (and should) be held. What is disappointing is just how much this book has aged in the last decade or so, particularly in its sections on morality. But what I love is Lewis' willingness to trust even the non-Christian reader with strong theology, and his ability to use delightful, brief word pictures to bring even the deepest truths home. In that, he follows his Master brilliantly. ( )
  markbarnes | May 4, 2015 |
I just finished reading this book for the second time and I actually changed my rating from two stars to one. I've never seen someone use so many words to spout such utter nonsense and wild speculation. I have no idea why apologist hold Lewis up as the inspiration behind their need to defend Christianity. He provided no evidence but only made bold assertions. It was particularly disheartening to read all the parts where the author either asserted that he knew what God was like or that he knew how God thought. This book (and the fact that so many modern Christians hold it in such high esteem) is absolutely horrifying. ( )
2 vote jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
To begin with, I have to say outright that I admire C.S. Lewis. I enjoy his writing. I think his scholarly work was brilliant and I adore his fiction. I also think that his writings as a Christian apologist are in some ways the most difficult to place in his oeuvre, and it is these works that people, at least people I know, either tend to love or hate.

I enjoyed Mere Christianity. I had read it before. If you are expecting sophisticated theology, or an intellectual defense of Christianity, this is not the book for you. It does not have the rigor of his academic works and I do not believe this was ever Lewis' intention. The book remains popular because it is a clear explanation of "mere" Christianity, as I believe Lewis understood it as a "mere" man. It reads like a series of brief chats. In fact I think the book was conceived as a series of talks to be given on the radio and expanded from that. The talks are meant to be simple. They succeed because I think they address many issues experienced by real people who are Christians or are struggling with Christianity. I think if one is struggling with the meaning of life or with how to live a good life and is open to the emotional sides of life aside from just the intellectual, there are parts of this book that are bound to resonate. This is one of the reasons for its continued success. Theologically, Lewis may not always pull off his explanations, he might not even explain something in a way that has since become accepted, but I feel he carries this off as he explains it as the current state of his own evolving understanding.

That said, much that is said is dated, is written for a different time and world-view. This might be difficult for some people, although the fundamental principles remain the same several generations later. And as usual, Lewis makes me think, and reevaluate, both when I agree with him and when I don't. ( )
  dooney | Jan 19, 2015 |
Cotton candy apologetics - engaging and conversational but shallow.

I am well aware of Lewis' writing talent and he is clearly an intelligent individual, so I feel unqualified to "critique" Mr. Lewis. However, I would like to comment on why, at least for me, Lewis' arguments for the existence of God are uncompelling.

Lewis, C. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gresham, DouglasForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norris, KathleenForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nylén, AnttiForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Every one has heard people quarrelling.
"You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to."
"A man who jibbed at authority in other things as some people do in religion would have to be content to know nothing all his life."
"The bad psychological material is not a sin but a disease. It does not need to be repented of, but to be cured... Human beings judge one another by their external actions. God judges them by their moral choices."
"We must get over wanting to be needed: in some goodish people, specially women, that is the hardest of all temptations to resist."
"How monotonously alike all the great tyrants and conquerors have been: how gloriously different are the saints."
The 'Lewis' DVD sets which feature sergeant Lewis,in the British television series,have nothing to do with the author C.S.Lewis.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060652926, Paperback)

In 1943 Great Britain, when hope and the moral fabric of society were threatened by the relentless inhumanity of global war, an Oxford don was invited to give a series of radio lectures addressing the central issues of Christianity. Over half a century after the original lectures, the topic retains it urgency. Expanded into book form, Mere Christianity never flinches as it sets out a rational basis for Christianity and builds an edifice of compassionate morality atop this foundation. As Mr. Lewis clearly demonstrates, Christianity is not a religion of flitting angels and blind faith, but of free will, an innate sense of justice and the grace of God.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:34 -0400)

Discusses the essence of Christian faith and the doctrine of the Trinity.

Legacy Library: C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See C. S. Lewis's legacy profile.

See C. S. Lewis's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,978,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible