The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Volume 1:…

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Volume 1: Squirrel Power

by Ryan North, Erica Henderson (Illustrator)

Other authors: Tom Brevoort (Executive Editor), Steve Ditko (Contributor), Chris Giarrusso (Illustrator), Erica Henderson (Cover artist), Erik Larsen (Cover Artist)7 more, Wil Moss (Editor), Paul Mounts (Variant Cover Colors (1)), Will Murray (Contributor), Joe Quinones (Variant Cover (2)), Rico Renzi (Illustrator), Maris Wicks (Illustrator), Maris Wicks (Illustrator)

Series: Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (v.1 1-4 collected), Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 1 (1-4 collected), Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Trade Omnibus Editions (1)

It's great to see a non-wasp-waisted superheroine. It's even greater that she's funny and sassy and smart. The almost-hidden commentary at the bottom of each page kept me in stitches! Highly recommended. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Aug 8, 2017 |
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is an unlikely superhero. She has "squirrel blood" in her, which gives her the agility and "proportional strength" of a squirrel. She can talk to squirrels, and has an army of them to do her bidding. She has a big, bushy tail. And she has a costume that features a headband with little squirrel ears on it and dangly acorn earrings. She's here to eat nuts and kick butts!

Although I've been known to dip into them briefly every once in a great while, I'm really not a fan of superhero comics. Among other things, I just find a lot of the conventions of the genre off-putting. (Seriously, every time I see some guy in spandex talking to himself in clunky expository sentences for no reason, a piece of my soul dies a little.) But I'd heard this one was a lot of fun, and I like Ryan North, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Well, it's still a superhero comic, and it still does do some of the things that bug me a bit about superhero comics, but, yes, it's fun. Obviously, it's not taking itself too seriously. There are lots of jokes and various kinds of ridiculousness, with some of the most ridiculous bits being the most entertaining. And Squirrel Girl (aka college freshman Doreen Green) is oddly charming, in her own cheerful, over-confident, squirrel-loving way. Also, she's a bit goofy-looking, and it's wonderfully refreshing to see a female superhero, even a humorous one, who's allowed to look goofy, rather than sexy.

So, overall I did enjoy it. Although it probably is intended more for people who are genuine Marvel fans. I think watching her defeat familiar villains in silly ways is meant to be a big part of the fun, but my own knowledge of the characters involved is vague enough that I'm sure I didn't fully appreciate most of it.

Also, each page comes with a line of funny commentary at the bottom, which would be great, except for the fact that putting it in teeny-tiny print in very light-colored letters on a white page is a staggeringly cruel thing to do to those of us with aging eyes. I thought comics people were big on the idea that comics aren't just for kids, but making some of the funniest parts super-difficult to read for anyone over 40 is a funny way of showing it!

Rating: I've waffled back and forth on this one a bit, but I think most of the good things about it are just plain good, and most of the things I liked less about it are things that have more to do with my own idiosyncratic relationship to superhero comics. So, what the heck. Let's call it 4/5. ( )
  bragan | May 25, 2017 |
The first collected volume of The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is kind of fun. I'm not really into superhero comics, but I liked the panels I saw on Tumblr, so decided to borrow the book from the library when I needed a bit of punching bad guys in my reading material.

Though her catchphrase is "Eat Nuts and Kick Butts", there isn't a lot of actual butt-kicking (or bad-guy-punching) to be found. Squirrel Girl's secret weapon is the Power of Friendship, which she uses to best Kraven and Galactus - the two big bad story arcs found here. Also in the story arc: friendship with her new roommate at college, and also somehow Iron Man. The Kraven Squirrel Girl friendship is pretty great, tbh.

I'm vaguely familiar with superheroes and villains and knew of the various characters in the book, though not very well, and I found the plots accessible and fun. Erica Henderson's round, cartoony art style fits nicely with Ryan North's jokes and pun-filled dialogue. The first appearance of Squirrel Girl from a 1991 story with Iron Man and Dr. Doom is also included.

This first collected volume hasn't converted me into a superhero comics fan, and I wouldn't necessarily say that I would seek out future volumes (except I got the first 3 in one go), but it was a pleasant diversion and a nice change of pace in my reading habits. ( )
  keristars | Jan 29, 2017 |
Meh. I think I expected more from this. It was okay ( )
  Gaiagirlie | Jan 12, 2017 |
Along with Kamala Khan, Squirrel Girl is the best of the new Marvel superheroes. My 10-year-old daughter and I both agree on this. ( )
1 vote wyattbonikowski | Jan 12, 2017 |

Joyce, Brad K.Letterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oum, SiyaVariant Cover (1)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, JillVariant Cover (3)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Young, SkottieVariant Cover (1)secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Collects The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 1 #1-4 and Marvel Super Heroes #8.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0785197028, Paperback)

Wolverine, Deadpool, Doctor Doom, Thanos: There's one hero that's beaten them all-and now she's got her own ongoing series! (Not that she's bragging.) That's right, you asked for it, you got it, it's SQUIRREL GIRL! (She's also starting college this semester.) It's the start of a brand-new set of adventures starring the nuttiest and most upbeat super hero in the world!

COLLECTING: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 1-5

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Jul 2015 15:03:24 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,078,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible