Spider-Verse by Dan Slott

Spider-Verse (2015)

by Dan Slott

I was really hoping that Marvel would put something like this together for Spider-Verse, a massive crossover event in the Spider-books from last year. I had considered trying to find all of the issues individually, something I've only done one other time in the past (in the early 90s) with the original Crisis on Infinite Earths by DC. That hunt took almost two years to find all of the issues and tie-ins, and it was a lot of fun, but not something I relish doing again.

The best thing I liked about this epic compilation is how they kept the story in order, taking pages out of individual books and placing them in the proper place in Spider-Verse continuity. Marvel really hit a home run with this decision, and it's something that all comic publishers should look at with their crossover event compilations. It really makes for much better storytelling.

As for the story itself, it was pretty good, even if it was the typical overcoming-against-impossible-odds seen in almost every Spiderman story. I really enjoyed seeing the hundreds of different Spider-men/-women/-creatures/-robots, and especially enjoyed the interaction between them. Like the original Amazing Spider-Man, it is a personality-driven story, and the writers were able to manage the humor and "great power/great responsibility" of all of them.

If you want a good, exciting story, and a well-told and well-compiled compilation, this is the one to read. You don't have to be a huge fan to Spiderman to be able to follow along; it's all pretty clear in this one (another homerun for the writers). ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
I decided to try this because, a, spider-gwen, and b, I'd heard it was a massive crossover event that actually functioned as a comic, because they'd carefully made sure all the tie-in titles had stand-alone side-quests and that the main plot stayed where it belonged in the main title.

This is-- mostly true, as true as it could be, anyway, I suppose. It certainly worked better than other major crossovers I've tried. And I can visualize how all the side-quests were set up to be fun and make sense even if you weren't in the main title.

The problem is, that means all the fun happened in the tie-in titles and the main book is nothing but exposition and boss fights. ( )
  melannen | Jan 1, 2016 |
This hardback was organized horribly. There's a chronology up front that says which comics happen in what sequence, but instead of actually putting the content into the book in that order, they segregated it by title...mostly. Further, the Edge of Spider-Verse miniseries is collected in a whole different volume. It's as if someone at Marvel just took all the smaller trade paperbacks and stapled 'em together. What this means is that, if you want to experience this event in the proper chronology, you're going to need two books, a fistful of bookmarks, and a bottle of painkillers to sort everything out. They took the time to print the chronology; why not take a few more minutes to arrange the content to match?

That's a little harsh, though. If you read the Edge volume first, the first chunk of the book (teaser, Superior 32-33, 2099 5, Amazing 7-8) does a pretty solid job of setting the stage. The problem is, instead of branching from there into the (forgive me) web of interlocking stories, the book slogs through each of the remaining arcs separately. As a result, it takes you through the rest of Amazing 9-15, telling the core story from Spidey-616's perspective, only to go aaaaaaalllll the way back to the Spider-Verse 1-2 and Team-Up 1-3 issues that are really part of the Edge arc. Only then do you get to see the three major side quests, each as its own mini-event: Spider-Woman 1-4, Scarlet 1-3, and 2099 6-8.

As for the actual story... yeah, that's pretty solid. I haven't been following the series since the end of the Superior arc, but I didn't have much trouble jumping on for the ride. I'm glad to see Morlun gone for good, though; I never really cared for him as a villain, and having a whole clan of him jumping dimensions with their I'M GONNA EATCHA!! shtick got really old, really fast. They served their purpose as a huge Big Bad, though, and that's what mattered. There were some surprising spider-alternates along the way, and I'm not going to spoil those, but I will lament that my personal favorite never got a mention: Web-Man. Okay, sure, he was a one-issue opponent from Spidey Super Stories waaaay back in the day, but I always loved the blue-and-red look. (Quick summary: Dr. Doom created an evil Spider-Man, and his costume's colors were swapped so the kids the book was aimed at could tell 'em apart. Hokey, but still neat.) Would it really have been that hard to show him in one or two panels?

The story would've rated four stars, but I docked it one for the atrocious organization. ( )
  RevBobMIB | Oct 21, 2015 |
Marvel Comics generally does a better job than DC Comics of epic storylines with huge casts. But both companies fall prey to the same faults: Overly convoluted plots, casts of characters that require a scorecard to follow, an assumption that the reader has been keeping up with old and obscure events that once more have relevance, confusing layouts, and obligatory fights between antagonistic good guys.

"Spider-Verse" is guilty of many of these, but it is still a rousing story, in which Morlun, an awesomely powerful predator of superhuman arachnids across the multiverse, is on a quest with his family of Inheritors to consume all the Spider-Men of the Multiverse (although many are female or non-human). The Superior Spider-Man (Dr. Octopus in Peter Parker's body) assembles a fighting force of Spider-beings to resist this attack. Things become more intriguing when this force includes the one true Spider-Man, Peter Parker in his own body again. The first half of this large book tells the main story of the war with the Inheritors; the second half is a collection of side-stories featuring the various recruiting attempts for more Spider-beings. It's difficult to be sure how many of these have appeared in the Spider-Man chronicles at one time or another, and which ones are new. An epic battle with a lot to recommend it, that didn't need to be so complex and confusing. ( )
  burnit99 | Jul 5, 2015 |
On a world much like ours, in a time long ago...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078519035X, Hardcover)

When the evil Inheritors begin exterminating spider-characters throughout the Multiverse, every single Spider-Man ever is needed to save the day! An interdimensional Spider-Army gathers to fight Morlun and his deadly family, but none of them is safe as the Prophecy comes to fruition! What will this brutal war for survival mean for Peter Parker and the rest of the spiders? Starring the Superior Spider-Man, the Ultimate Universe's Miles Morales and Jessica Drew, Spider-Man 2099, Spider-Woman, Silk, Kaine, Scarlet Spider, MC2's Spider-Girl, Spider-Man Noir, Spider-Man 1602, Spider-Ham, Spider-Monkey, Lady Spider, Spider-Punk, Spider-UK, a spider-powered Gwen Stacy...and hundreds more, from the beloved to the obscure!

Collecting:
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (2014) #7-15, SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #32-33, SPIDER-VERSE #1-2, SPIDER-VERSE TEAM-UP #1-3, SCARLET SPIDERS #1-3, SPIDER-WOMAN (2014) #1-4, SPIDER-MAN 2099 (2014) #6-8 and material from FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2014 (GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY) #1

Written by DAN SLOTT, CHRISTOS GAGE, MICHAEL COSTA, DENNIS HOPELESS & PETER DAVID with SKOTTIE YOUNG, ROBBIE THOMPSON, KATIE COOK, KATHRYN IMMONEN, JED MCKAY, ROGER STERN, GERRY CONWAY, TOM DEFALCO & MORE

Penciled by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI, OLIVIER COIPEL, DAVE WILLIAMS, PACO DIAZ, GREG LAND & WILL SLINEY with HUMBERTO RAMOS, ADAM KUBERT, MIGUEL SEPULVEDA, JAKE PARKER, DENNIS MEDRI, KATIE COOK, MARK BROOKS, DAVID LAFUENTE, SHELDON VELLA, BOB MCLEOD, PAUL SMITH, RON FRENZ & MORE

Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 05 Jul 2015 22:13:57 -0400)

Morlun's whole family of Inheritors is rampaging across the multiverse feeding on the life forces of arachnid-powered superhumans. To have any hope of survival, the Spiders will have to unite with the wall-crawlers of all worlds for the most incredible team up of all.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,760,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible