Death's End by Cixin Liu

Death's End

by Cixin Liu

Series: Remembrance of Earth's Past (3)

English (14)  Chinese (1)  All (15)
Although better than the second installment, the dark forest, this never reached the heights of the first book for me. I loved the fable/fairytale in the center of the book that illustrated and alluded to the scientific concepts the second half of the book involved, and thought the use of the tale was brilliant and original. However, flat characters, overly long time periods between action and lousy character arcs spoiled it for me and made finishing the book more of a chore than a joy despite the many brilliant scifi concepts in there. I need a mixture of science and humanity to make a work work for me. ( )
  judtheobscure | Oct 6, 2017 |
Each successive Remembrance of Earth's Past novel has gotten longer than the previous, duller than the previous, and worse than the previous. I struggled with Death's End a lot, though maybe that was exacerbated by my need to read all 700+ pages quickly because I was coming up tight on the Hugo voting deadline. As in The Dark Forest, the bland characters here are less than interesting, but unlike in The Dark Forest, the cool concepts don't seem to come very quick or fast to make up for it. Every now and then something really arresting happens (the Post-Deterrence Era was traumatizing, and the journey into the four-dimensional realm was great), but then it goes back to slow banalities.

That is, until the end. The last couple hundred pages suddenly get weird and wacky and completely fascinating, with low-entropy entities and fantastic weaponry and beautiful imagery and a mind-boggling scale beyond anything seen in this series up to now by several orders of magnitude. If the whole book had been like that, or if we'd just gotten to that stuff sooner, this would have been a much better book, but it was just so boring to get there that I got intensely frustrated.
  Stevil2001 | Aug 18, 2017 |
A great end to the series. I read it immediately after The Dark Forest and although the scale of the narrative changed, the pace increased.

In response to those reviewers who have criticised the "fairy tale" - it is perhaps slightly long, but there is a clear context for it. It certainly isn't 100 pages, and the deciphering of the fairy tale is done well, and is revisited throughout the remainder of the book. It certainly shouldn't put anyone off from reading the book. ( )
  rlangston | Aug 2, 2017 |
All kinds of weird, all kinds of wonderful. ( )
  pan0ramix | May 26, 2017 |
This is volume three of the Three Body Epic and clearly the most imaginative of the narratives. The author flexes the limits of your imagination about outer space and galactic dimensions and consequences if those dimensions collapse. I am not an astrophysicist so I cannot attest to the verity of all the descriptions. Nevertheless it is a worthwhile but difficult read. ( )
  mcdenis | May 24, 2017 |

Cixin Liuprimary authorall editionscalculated
Liu, KenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martiniere, StephanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pausing to collect himself, Constantine XI pushed away the pile of city-defense maps in front of him, pulled his purple robe tighter, and waited.

With The Three-Body Problem , English-speaking readers got their first chance to experience the multiple-award-winning and bestselling Three-Body Trilogy by China's most beloved science fiction author, Cixin Liu. Three-Body was released to great acclaim including coverage in The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. It was also named a finalist for the Nebula Award, making it the first translated novel to be nominated for a major SF award since Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities in 1976. Now this epic trilogy concludes with Death's End . Half a century after the Doomsday Battle, the uneasy balance of Dark Forest Deterrence keeps the Trisolaran invaders at bay. Earth enjoys unprecedented prosperity due to the infusion of Trisolaran knowledge. With human science advancing daily and the Trisolarans adopting Earth culture, it seems that the two civilizations will soon be able to co-exist peacefully as equals without the terrible threat of mutually assured annihilation. But the peace has also made humanity complacent. Cheng Xin, an aerospace engineer from the early 21st century, awakens from hibernation in this new age. She brings with her knowledge of a long-forgotten program dating from the beginning of the Trisolar Crisis, and her very presence may upset the delicate balance between two worlds. Will humanity reach for the stars or die in its cradle?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible