Hot Rod Milestones: America's Coolest…

Hot Rod Milestones: America's Coolest Coupes, Roadsters & Racers (2005)

by Ken Gross, Robert Genat

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
At it's core, Hot Rod Milestones is about Hot Rodding and speed and as such, more about the builders and why they went about making the custom modifications they decided to do than anything else. This book is full of information and history regarding the cars and builders who made Hot Rods for fun and profit (more the former than the latter I'm afraid). It's filled with details you won't normally find without perusing old, now defunct hot rod magazines but with a higher degree of fact-filled information and images, both of the builds (from old photography, anecdotes from the builders via interviews, and then-current published articles) and of the builders themselves. You also get to see where many of these old hot rods now reside (surprisingly, many are still owned and maintained - often after several restorations - by the same original builders). This book is a wealth of information, classic photos and new imagery. Kudos to Ken Gross and Robert Genat in providing a well thought-out journal of hot rodding history.

I received this book to review as part of LibraryThings Early Reviewers. ( )
  johnnyapollo | Mar 30, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a must-have for any car enthusiast. It is chock full of beautiful color and black & white photos depicting 25 of the coolest coupes, roadsters and racers. We learn the history surrounding each vehicle, information about it's various owners, and information about the inner workings of the car itself. There were two cars I liked the best. First, #21 Tony La Masa's '32 Roadster. Not only was this car featured in the TV show Ozzie & Harriet (driven by David & Ricky Nelson), it looks way cool and the color is to die for (a beautiful metallic green!) Second, #22 Ed Roth's Outlaw "T". The style immediately caught my attention and reminded me of Herman Munster's car in the TV show, The Munster's. The white and blue color look great on it too! This is a well-researched book, informative and fun to read.
I received this book for free through LibraryThings Early Reviewer's Giveaway. ( )
  PrettyTarantula | Aug 22, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A hot rod needs to look like it can own the road; that there is nothing sexier, more dominating or just perfectly “it”. The best early rods of the 20th Century were iconic masterpieces that sparked the imagination of carhounds across America and the world and inspired generations to mimic and learn from the best. I can’t imagine anything better than gathering 25 of the most innovative hot rods and putting them together in one gorgeous volume.

Robert Genat has done that with Hot Rod Milestones: America’s Coolest Coupes, Roadsters and Racers. These are the cars that featured in the monthly magazines, auto shows and model car kits that we grew up with. From Ed Iskenderian's '24 T Roadster, Dick Flint's impeccable '29 Roadster, "Chili" Catallo's iconic "Little Deuce Coupe", Ed Roth's Outlaw "T" and so many more — these are the cars that started a revolution that continues to this day.
The book takes a close-up look into the history of each of these cars with photos, specs, history and lots of love. A must have for anyone interested in the history of America's "coolest coupes". ( )
  abealy | Jul 8, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In Hot Rod Milestones, etc. Gross and Genat take 25 of the very best and tell us what made the cars fir into that category. We have cars from folks I haven’t heard of and from several that I have. There are great photos of the cars, events, pistons, engines, dashes. You name it, I’ll bet there is a photo of it in here somewhere!

I will mention a couple just to whet your appetite. #1 The original “Little Deuce Coupe” was purchased for $75 in 1956. It appeared on the cover of Hot Rod magazine in July of 1961 and an album cover for the Beach Boys’ song as well. The buyer, only 15 at the time, had to have someone drive it home for him as he didn’t yet have his license. The story has photos of the car at the Detroit Dragway in 1958 with a supercharger.

#2: Big Daddy Ed Roth’s Outlaw T Excaliber. Name later changed to just Outlaw. Always ahead of the pack, Roth created this fiberglass car to draw attention to his work. It sure did! The smallish top blew off while the car was being trailered and Ed never replaced it. He did offer copies of the body shell for $250 and sold three. This also lead to a contract with Revell models and Ed got royalties on every model kit sold.

All in all, a book every hot rod dude would love to have and Father’s Day in this coming Sunday. Don’t wait!! ( )
  macygma | Jun 15, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I like hot rods and Hot Rod Milestones delivers on its promise of serving up some of the best and coolest that have shaped our ideas of what constitutes a hot rod. The history of the individual cars helps understand their place in history. And yes, the "Little Deuce Coupe" is still cool and number 19 on their list. One of my favorites, Ed Roth's Outlaw "T," is number 22. A delightful book for the car enthusiast. ( )
  bill | May 26, 2015 |

Ken Grossprimary authorall editionscalculated
Genat, Robertmain authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ken Gross's book Hot Rod Milestones: America's Coolest Coupes, Roadsters, and Racers was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,376,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible