The Companion by Michelle Knight

The Companion

by Michelle Knight

421,664,912 (3.5)None
adult (1) bdsm (2) d/s (1) erotica (1) romance (1)

The scene- what members of BDSM community their group

D/s- Dominant/submissive

The Companion tells us the story of Susan, a newbie to the lifestyle, and Mark, a long time participant in the BDSM lifestyle. Their journey to happiness isn't easy. They both have demons in their closet. This is part of a three part series, it can be read as a standalone novel.

Susan is unhappy with her life. She has no self respect and lets people use her. She has let it go on for so long that she no longer knows herself. She knows things must change, but she has no clue where to start. She is introduced to 'the scene' by an encounter at a bar. She is instantly curious and drawn to the lifestyle.

Mark has been a member of the BDSM community for quite a while. Has a built a reputation for being a well respected member of the community. He has recently lost his log term submissive partner. He is reluctant to put himself back into the position where he could have to relive the grief he suffered after the loss he suffered. A friend calls him to let him know that a newbie member to the scene is in need of a Dominant partner. He becomes curious and decides to meet the woman.

When Susan gets her first taste of what life with Mark will be like she is unsure she has made the right decision. She is now, while in Mark's presence, referred by just a single letter, L. She knows that Mark only wants her to do what is best for her, but finds herself not following his rules and hiding things from him. Her old life falls apart and she finds herself in a situation she has never faced. She knows that her way out is to allow Mark to take full control.

There is so much I want to talk about but don't want to spoil parts of the book for future readers. This took me to places I was uncomfortable with, but my vanilla eyes are no longer. So many author's have taken BDSM lifestyle and turned it into a fantasy land of torture and orgasms. It is far more than that. People involved in this lifestyle can range from the curious one timers, or they can make it a complete lifestyle choice. I am curious to see where the author will take this series. The writing itself was top notch. I didn't notice any grammatical mistakes. The story flowed smoothly and at a moderate pace. I like this author's writing. I have learned so much from this book.

Common misconception concerning BDSM:
-It is all about pain. WRONG! After reading this book the words I would use are trust, power, and control.

-The male is always the dominant partner in a heterosexual relationship. WRONG! In this book we meet a couple where the female is dominant.

-Only uneducated women participate in the BDSM scene. WRONG! In general, women who participate in this lifestyle tend to have higher education. I believe the stress that comes with life after a higher education is part of what is enticing about “scene”. To enter a controlled relationship where this isn't constant power struggle, be it taking complete control or letting go of control, leaves so much less to worry about.

Quotes:
"What! You don't want to be becoming no slave, girl, you can trust me on that.!" Kate, L's friend (Kate's reaction when L tells her of her interest in BDSM)

"Our relationship is based on me say, you do. If we get to know each other before we start, then you'll know my buttons. If you know those you can undermine me and that won't help us one bit. The goal here is for you to lose control and trust me to guide you. If you can work me from behind the scenes, then what does that do to my authority." Mark (Mark and Susan's first meeting)

"Master; if it wasn't for you, I don't think I would have a life that was worth living." -L (after three months of giving control to Mark)

If you read this book, don't go into this expecting hardcore kink. This is tame portrayal of a real D/s relationship. I recommend this to readers who are curious about what BDSM is really like. I also recommend this to people who think 50 Shades is a horrible portrayal of the lifestyle. ( )
  JLynF | Jul 28, 2015 |
The Companion by Michelle Knight is the first instance of the Submissive Heart series. The Companion was originally written in 2005 as a screenplay script. Due to lacking attention of producers, Michelle Knight reworked it to a book again. She warned me before reading, because the BDSM scene is not my cup of tea. However, The Companion, is situated in that scene, it still is a love story, actually. The main character, Susan, is desperately seeking freedom and love. A friend introduces her to the BDSM scene, research convinces her to have a submissive heart and receptive for role playing.
Mark, her Master, still wrestling with the loss of his previous servant, 'K', now leads Susan, renamed as 'L' through a rite de passage. The intensified punishment and pleasure, pain and submission have severe consequences. Susan losses her job. She's unwilling to listen to her friend Kate's advice. Michelle Knight lets her readers guess for the next step. The plays can lead to death, intervention by the police, or another unexpected twist.
Though several role plays and scenes are made explicit, it's balanced with more emotional and rational questions on freedom, companionship, giving up control and caring. The fine line between what's expected and what's not of both masters and servants, what's played and what are real emotions are elaborated well. ( )
  hjvanderklis | Apr 28, 2015 |

Michelle Knight is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,579,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible