Naruto, Volume 72: Uzumaki Naruto by Masashi…

Naruto, Volume 72: Uzumaki Naruto

by Masashi Kishimoto

Series: Naruto (72)

I started watching the Naruto anime years and years ago, but it went on for so long that I was never able to finish, let alone get into Shippuden. Then, my husband started getting into more anime and manga stuff and agreed to watch the series with me. We just barely made it to the Shippuden anime series before the wonderful Chicago Public Library released the entire manga series on Overdrive. My local branch of the library doesn’t have a lot of manga, so I requested a volume or two once in a while, but didn’t get very far into the manga series, so this release was HUGE. I could read it on my computer and not have to deal with waiting a week for it to ship to my branch. At the same time, my husband and I cancelled our CrunchyRoll subscription, so we didn’t have access to Shippuden anymore. So, he started reading the manga as well.

Without giving spoilers, I’m going to sum up my feelings of the series as a whole — all 72 volumes. It starts off as a bit of a fun story, with Naruto trying to become a ninja and being loudmouthed about how he’s going to be Hokage someday, but quickly takes a bit of a darker turn. They are, after all, ninja and are very often in real danger when they take on their missions. Kishimoto doesn’t hold back when he crafts the story — the battles and dangers are high-stakes and even at 11 years old, the characters fight for their lives. I enjoyed this, because being a ninja would be dangerous, so I appreciated that this series had that level of honesty and genuineness.

My favorite parts, however, are the characters. You can tell that Kishimoto loves what he does, because there’s a wonderful playfulness to the characters that drew me in and made me fall in love with them. Each character has their own flaws and personalities, but you see that they are generally good people who care about their friends and their families. They work hard to protect them and when there’s danger, they all come together to fight against it. The series shines when the characters are given a chance to go above and beyond for their comrades, and this series is, in the end, a series about what it means to be friends.

Though it’s a long series, I would say it’s worth it. It’s almost bittersweet that we’ve finished it. We spent the better part of the year reading the manga together, talking about new developments and following the characters in their journey. Unlike the anime, which dragged on with filler episodes, the manga is perfect. Some things drag on, but the pacing is overall great for the story. It’s made me laugh out loud and cry, sometimes both at once. And while everything isn’t over-explained in the final volume, all my questions were answered satisfactorily. I loved reading about Naruto’s story and his journey to becoming an adult. There’s a reason why this is such a popular series — it’s really, really good. If anything about it at all interests you even in the slightest, I’d highly recommend getting started on it.

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | Jan 9, 2017 |
The final volume! Holy cow, it's finally over. I sort of can't believe it. And really I suppose it's not totally over since Kishimoto is said to be planning a short mini-series dedicated to the children of our loved characters. I can't say I'm thrilled with the pairings in this last volume but I can't say that I didn't see any of those coming either. And I just really doubt that Kishimoto's editors would have sanctioned a paring between Sasuke and Naruto like so many fans wanted. It's been a LONG journey but I thoroughly enjoyed the series, even if I thought the exact opposite when I was first introduced to the series. That just goes to show that every story deserves a shot. I gave this one a shot and now I don't even care that I've put myself into a manga/anime fandom label. No need to recommend this. If you've read it, then you're a fan already. Great series. Thanks Kishimoto. ( )
1 vote Kassilem | Apr 28, 2015 |

The peace following Kaguya's defeat is short-lived as Sasuke tries to take total control. Can Naruto change his old friend's mind and bring true peace to the ninja world in the final volume of Naruto?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,340,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible