Death of a Nurse by M. C. Beaton

Death of a Nurse (2016)

by M. C. Beaton

light, easy, fast read.... Better than the last few.

Hamish meets a "hot" nurse who is taking care of a wheelchair bound older man... They agree on a dinner date, but she never shows up.

A few days later, however, her battered body shows up at the base of a sea cliff & her belongings on the bodies of Halloween "guisers"....

Turns out she was stringing along her client for his money, she was a regular at Tommel Castle bar cadging drinks & dinner from the male guests.

His new partner is so clumsy, he breaks most everything he touches, so he moves in to the former butler's quarters at Tommel Castle where he strikes up a friendship w/ Priscilla & her father....

Priscilla is now engaged and very nearly kidnapped....

The new person taking Blair's place is a woman, who takes no prisoners and has no problem w/ Hamish's methods... but she does have a problem w/ Blair & Daviot and succinctly puts them both in their place.

Thankfully, Hamish wasn't as arrogant about his "needs" and women as usual. I find that gets really old... as his attitude is what makes him unattractive to women.

All in all a good story..... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 8, 2017 |
More of a Keystone Cops does Scotland than Beaton's usual Highlands cozy. Every cliqued character is paraded through for a cameo role as Hamish pursues a truly serial and almost surreal set of deaths. ( )
  jamespurcell | Jul 31, 2016 |
Hamish is still in trouble with his superiors and he has a new sidekick, Charlie, as Dick has left to buy a bakery with Anka. In this 32nd (?) episode Hamish must solve the muder of a beautiful private duty nurse. The plot is a bit torturous, but the characters continue to be entertaining even if sometimes a bit caricturist. ( )
  pennykaplan | May 25, 2016 |
This is Book #31 in the Hamish Macbeth series. Hamish has a new policeman partner-Charlie Carter. Hamish meets a private nurse named Gloria Dainty outside the grocery store and asks her to dinner. She is a nurse for Mr. Harrison, a gentleman new to town living in the old hunting lodge. When she doesn't show up for their dinner date Hamish becomes suspicious something happened to her. It turns out she has been murdered and her body dumped over the cliffs. Hamish and Charlie will not be alone in their investigating. They will have to deal with Police Inspector Fiona Herring, who has taken a liking to Charlie. There will be more murders and they need a little bit of luck to uncover the clues and discover who the committed the murders.

Many years ago I read the first few books in this series. I don't know why I didn't continue it as I really enjoyed this cast of characters. You don't really need to read the other books in the series first as the author did a nice job of giving background information on all the characters. Although Hamish's attitude towards women irritated me at times I grew to like him due to his love of his pets and the great care he had for the people under his watch. There is a soft side to him and I believe he may have actually grew a little bit at the end of the story, but....maybe not! I also liked Charlie and hope he will appear in the next book as well. The story flowed so smoothly and the descriptiveness of the scenery made me feel like I could picture everything. The mystery itself was good and I couldn't guess until the very end when all was revealed. I will look forward to going back and reading the earlier books in the series and continue as new ones are released.

I received a free digital version of this book from the publisher, Grand Central Publishing, via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. ( )
1 vote aharris1971 | May 12, 2016 |
3 1/2 stars! I have been disappointed lately with the Hamish Macbeth series. The earlier books in the series are little treasures, and I used to look forward to the next book coming out. In the recent past (the last 3 or 4 years) the books weren't as enjoyable as they were rushed and very disjointed. This book is better, although time certainly flies within the 265 pages. For those not in the know, Hamish Macbeth is a police sergeant located in the picturesque little town of Lochdubh in the Scottish highlands. He loves his quiet life in the little village, even though his beat has grown considerably since he took up residence there. For such a little place, there is a lot of murder and crime and Hamish uses his considerable intelligence, along with his thorough knowledge of the area to solve very difficult and tricky mysteries. I love the characters in sleepy little Lochdubh - Archie the seer, the hilarious Currie sisters, the minister's very loud and obnoxious wife and of course Hamish himself . This book has all of this, and another tricky little mystery which Hamish manages to crack. I enjoyed this book and am glad that I stuck with the series. ( )
  Romonko | Mar 9, 2016 |
Police Sergeant Hamish Macbeth was in a sour mood, despite the sunny, windy weather.

"M. C. Beaton's New York Times bestselling Hamish Macbeth series continues with a new mystery featuring Scotland's most quick-witted but unambitious policeman. James Harrison has recently moved to a restored hunting lodge in Sutherland with his gorgeous private nurse Gloria Dainty. When Hamish visits Mr. Harrison to welcome him to the neighborhood, the old man treats him very rudely. Gloria apologizes for her employer's behavior, and Hamish takes the plunge and invites her out for dinner. On the appointed evening, Hamish waits for Gloria at the restaurant. And waits. Gloria never shows up. Four days later, Gloria's body washes up on the beach near Braikie. Now without a date and without his former policeman Dick Fraser (who left the force to buy a bakery), Hamish must find out who killed the beautiful new resident of Sutherland, and why, before the murderer strikes again..."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,332,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible