A Fearful Lie by Jean Fournier Johnson

A Fearful Lie

by Jean Fournier Johnson

421,664,912 (4.67)None

I was given a copy of A Fearful Lie by Ravenswood Publishing for an honest review.

Gloria is a 44 year old woman who has just left the bar after having several drinks. Little does she know that in minutes her life will be changed forever . The unthinkable happens. She hits a little boy with her car and jumps out to see if he is ok. Laying there on the ground she sees death on the boy's face. Gloria cradles him in arms and then gently lays him down. She begins to look around and sees no one. The moral question is on her mind. Should she call 911 and stay with the child or do the unthinkable and leave ? She is in turmoil as she drives away with a glance in her rear view mirror.
As she pulls into her driveway , thoughts are running in her mind. Did I just hit a child with my car and kill him?
As the days pass, her husband starts to see a change in her. She is drinking more and he can tell that something is terribly wrong . Gloria hides her secret from everyone , but inside she is being tortured by her carelessness.

As you begin to read the story , you find yourself questioning why Gloria drove away that fateful day. Did she do it to protect her grown children the pain they would suffer from knowing the truth? Would her husband stand beside her knowing her drinking caused a child to be killed? Or does she keep quiet because she is afraid thst she will go to prison for the rest of her life?
Jean Fournier Johnson has written characters so rich in emotion that you find yourself crying as you feel their pain. Gloria is a woman who desperately wants to be forgiven by the child' s mother . Through a chance encounter she meets the mother of the child she killed. In her deepest place of agony she justifies why she decides to help this family out by babysitting their other child.
I started this book wondering how anyone could harm a child and just walk away. As I continued reading, Jean' s compelling writing took me on a journey that will stay with me forever. This book was so brilliantly written, that I could not believe it was Jean's first book. She draws on the characters emotions and takes you to a place where their raw and fragile state pull on your heart. This may be Jean's first book , but I certainly hope it is not her last. ( )
  Harley0326 | May 28, 2015 |
Gloria is a forty-four year old married mother with two twenty-something girls. We first meet Gloria when she stops at a local bar for drinks, gets behind the wheel of the family mini-van, hits and kills a neighborhood child, and flees the scene. She rationalizes leaving the dead three-year-old on the sidewalk, where his mother will eventually find him, by convincing herself no good could possibly come from turning herself in to the authorities – after all, “the child is dead, so calling an ambulance is pointless”. Gloria also has her own family to think about, so she goes about her life, living a fearful life.

When I first began reading A Fearful Lie I groaned – it’s written in my least favorite tense and POV – present and first person. I also wondered how far I’d get after reading that a woman – a mother herself no less – had struck and killed a child and went on with life as usual. But, as I read further I realized this book is so much more than that. Gloria doesn’t go on with life as usual. She’s sentenced herself to live the rest of her life in a prison of her own making. I quickly forgot about tense and POV and was able to breeze through the story in one glorious day.

I LOVED A Fearful Lie. It was touching and heartbreakingly beautiful. Jean Fournier Johnson is a wonderful writer, who definitely has a way with words. Her characters have depth and substance. Her descriptive prose expertly put me right into the story. I had no choice but to immerse myself in her story and quickly become invested in the outcome. She made me feel the pain Gloria lived with. I was extremely surprised to find out that this is the author’s first novel.

I would highly recommend A Fearful Lie to readers. I will certainly look for more from this amazing author. ( )
  ebookreviewgal | Apr 28, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 150867454X, Paperback)

By the time Gloria sees the little boy step out from between the parked cars it is too late. She hears the sickening thud as her vehicle strikes his body. She remembers that third drink at the bar, her husband's career as a police officer. Fearful that if she stays she will ruin the lives of those she loves, Gloria drives away. She leaves the child on the sidewalk for his mother to find. Having convinced herself she can live with this decision, Gloria is surprised to find her guilt beginning to take a toll on her family. Turning away from her marriage as it falls apart, she decides to atone for her crime by devoting her life to helping others. What better place to start than with Marisa, the mother of the boy she killed?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 10 Aug 2015 02:46:45 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,804,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible