The Little Gardener by Emily Hughes

The Little Gardener

by Emily Hughes

English (8)  Spanish (1)  All (9)
Small in stature but big in heart, the eponymous little gardener in this lovely picture-book works as hard as he can to sustain the garden that provides him with a home, sustenance, and joy. But although he does the best he can, his garden withers, save for one beautiful flower. Wishing on a star one night, the gardener goes to sleep, unaware that his flower also provides joy to a (big) little girl, who also works in the garden, inspiring her to do better as well...

Part fairy-tale, part exploration of the beauty and importance of the natural world around us, The Little Gardener is the second picture-book I have read from author/artist Emily Hughes, following upon her earlier Wild. I enjoyed the story here quite a bit more than I did with Wild, and I found the artwork (as is so often the case with Flying Eye Books) absolutely gorgeous. Children who enjoy stories about "little people" - fairy-tales like Thumbelina, The Borrowers series, the aptly named Littles series - will enjoy this story of a miniature gardener and his human-sized girl counterpart, and will appreciate seeing their garden blossom. I know I did! Recommended to all young gardeners and/or fairy-tale lovers. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 29, 2017 |
a tiny little gardener tried his hardest to make a GIANT garden beautiful but could only make one small flower grow. the tiny gardener decided to sleep in sadness but his little flower inspires "normal size" people to make the garden better. so when the little gardener awoke, the garden was beautiful, thanks to the little gardener.
6 books
  TUCC | Jun 15, 2017 |
This is a lovely story about a gardener whose garden is too big for him to care for alone. Once he has given up hole, he falls asleep only to awaken and find that things have changed in his garden. The illustrations are beautiful, and I will definitely use this book in my classroom. ( )
  Lschwarzman | Jan 26, 2017 |
This story taken at face value has little meaning. The gardener is not good at his job but has one beautiful flower that makes his failing efforts worthwhile. He gives up trying to keep the garden going by by falling asleep for a month after asking ( God?)for a little help. During his month long sleep someone else admires the flower and tends the garden successfully. The end. No point . But when viewed from the perspective of a child the book becomes the story faith and redemption. The child knows he can't manage the real world but appeals for help from anyone believing that there is someone anyone out there who cares will help. Surprise help comes and his garden is saved. For a child and for cynical adults this is much needed injection of hope into a world we cannot handle. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 23, 2016 |
This is another partial wordless picture book by Emily Hughes. This book brings beautiful images, and a wonderful story. The little gardener goes through so many emotions, and it takes the reader through a whirlwind of a story. ( )
  danimeineke | Nov 23, 2016 |
For my Pappy / Petunias still bloom for you, as do I. My fondest love. / Thanks Stephen, and Theo. E.H.
This was the garden.
It was his home. It was his supper. It was his joy.

There was once a little gardener and his garden meant everything to him. He worked hard, very hard, but he was just too little (or at least he felt he was).

A story that teaches us just how important it is to persist and try, no matter what the odds.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,988,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible