The Doldrums by Nicholas Gannon

The Doldrums

by Nicholas Gannon

I read this aloud to my five- and eight-year-old daughters. We liked it. It was a bit long and seemed to drag at times. But it was a cute story and there were several LOL moments, which I always love. I like books that make my girls giggle at times. That's how I know they're paying attention. And that they like it. I would definitely read other books by this author. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
A story, told through the eyes of a child can be magical and full of expectation. I am so happy that I took a chance to relive a childhood through someone else's eyes. It's books like this one, The Doldrums, by Nicholas Gannon, that allow you to regress, to become a child again and dream dreams so large, you almost escape reality.
I say almost escape, because as hard as the children tried, they couldn't get away and venture out on their own (but this is only Book One).

The Doldrums is a story of family, dreams, ambition, and the desire to do something so different, you will more than likely fall into danger. Every step Archer, Adélaïde and Oliver took was full of possible adventure, and exactly what Mr. and Mrs. Helmsley wanted to protect him from! Even so, the desire to "GO" was strong. It reminded me so much of me- I fell for the book hook, line and sinker!

Archer is a boy, born into adventure. His grandparents, stranded on a glacier, are missing and may never be heard from again. Archer's mother, who doesn't like to speak of her in-laws, can't stand the idea of Archer going anywhere without her or her husband. She was so worried about their influence on her son, she practically made him a prisoner in his home! So she became over-protective and over-bearing. So what does Archer wish to do? Escape! Get away! Have an adventure! So he gets together with his two friends and they set to do just that...

For the full review and photo slide: http://bit.ly/TheDoldrumsNovel
*Book is from my personal, homeschool library. ( )
  AReneeHunt | Nov 17, 2016 |
10 ( )
  Lvkidsbooks | Nov 11, 2016 |
Young Archer B. Helmsley is the grandson of a pair of famous explorers, and he has very much inherited their thirst for adventure. But when his grandparents disappear on an iceberg in the Antarctic, his mother becomes so over-protective she barely lets him out of the house. Still, he's not going to let that stop him from planning a trip to look for his grandparents, with the help of a couple of friends (including a one-legged French ballerina).

A decent enough kids' book with a bit of humor and some nice illustrations, but not a very memorable one.

Rating: I'm sure it would have done a lot more for me as a kid as did as an adult, so I'm going to let Adult Me and Inner Child Me split the difference and call it 3.5/5. ( )
  bragan | Oct 20, 2016 |
Enjoyed the characters and the illustrations! ( )
  kimpiddington | Aug 25, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062320947, Hardcover)

Have you ever wanted to hold a little piece of the impossible? Lavishly illustrated in full color, The Doldrums is an extraordinary debut about friendship, imagination, and the yearning for adventure from author-artist Nicholas Gannon. A modern classic in the making, The Doldrums is for readers of inventive and timeless authors such as Brian Selznick and Lemony Snicket.

Archer B. Helmsley wants an adventure. No, he needs an adventure. His grandparents were famous explorers . . . until they got stuck on an iceberg. Now Archer's mother barely lets him out of the house. As if that would stop a true Helmsley. Archer enlists Adelaide—the girl who, according to rumor, lost her leg to a crocodile—and Oliver—the boy next door—to help him rescue his grandparents. The Doldrums whisks us off on an adventure full of sly humor, incredible detail, and enormous heart.

With approximately twenty pieces of breathtaking full-color artwork, as well as black-and-white spot illustrations, and gorgeous, literary writing, Nicholas Gannon proves himself to be a distinctive new voice with his middle grade debut. Be in it for the limitless imagination. For the characters who capture your heart. For the rich world you'll want to settle into. But most of all, be in it for the friendship. That, after all, is the true adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 16:14:46 -0400)

An eccentric like all Helmsleys, eleven-year-old Archer escapes his overprotective mother and recruits two friends, Oliver and Adelaide, to help him plan a rescue of his long-lost grandparents, world-famous explorers who disappeared atop an iceberg in the Antarctic.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,405,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible