Soaring Through Stars: A Contemporary Young…

Soaring Through Stars: A Contemporary Young Adult Novel (Swimming Through…

by Rajdeep Paulus

222,551,640 (5)None
Recently added byOcelotC, KathrynSvendsen

Throughout Soaring Through Stars, Rajdeep Paulus has almost every chapter narrated by 2 different people. Their names are Jesse (Justice) and Talia Vanderbilt. Both are teens. Both kids have escaped a childhood full of abuse, and are now trying to put their father behind bars. That's when the trouble begins. The siblings have no choice but to walk away from their childhood and start a new life. Just when they think they are ready to begin, someone unexpected comes along and forces the Vanderbilt siblings to revisit their past and look through their plans once more. Lagan and Talia are doing pretty well with their Post-it love, unlike Jesse and Summer who are hitting many different obstacles and roadblocks.

This book was a great find for me! It teaches many lessons, including not giving up on yourself. I would recommend it to those who need to find peace, or even just find themselves and where they belong. And definitely, for those who just want to read the book. Soaring Through Stars is the final book in Rajdeep Paulus' trilogy of Swimming Through Clouds. She leads us into a world of freedom, belonging, and teaches us the importance of family and that they are always there for you when you need them. Recommended for young adults, people who like adventure, and anyone who wants something good to read. This book definitely inspired me, and I know it will do the same for many other adults and teens out there. Warning: Some readers may cry while reading this book. I did. ( )
  OcelotC | Aug 19, 2015 |
Talia has just moved her things out of the women's shelter and is in the process of moving into her brother Jesse's apartment. While they wait for the pizza to be delivered to celebrate the fact that they are safe and together again, the police arrive and Jesse is arrested for arson and illegal possession of an armed weapon.

This sets in motion the roller-coaster ride of twists and turns in this touching love story. Soaring Through Stars is rich with the message of the importance of not just romantic love, but family love too.

The story is written in such a way that it feels like Talia and Jesse are talking to the reader. The novel is written in the first person point of view, from both Talia and Jesse's perspective. I liked this because it felt as though each of them were speaking to the reader personally.

The author has the ability to evoke emotion in the reader, enabling the reader to identify with the characters. It is easy to feel the pain and anger Jesse holds for his father and feel that anger right along with him. Paulus is a talented writer in the making and I'm looking forward to what she has in store for us in her next project.

Many victims of abuse do not follow through with charges against their abusers for a variety of reasons. Soaring Through Stars deals with a few of those reasons and allows those of us who have never been in that situation some insight into why the abused individual might make the choice not to make that final step that would potentially free them from the one that violated them. These insights give the reader a fresh understanding of the horrible situation the victim must endure in order to get justice for what has been done to them.

Soaring Through Stars is considered young-adult fiction but I would recommend it for all adults. It (along with Swimming Through Clouds and Seeing Through Stones) deal with the very difficult topic of abuse and trafficking. All three books are poignant, sometimes painful yet positive. The series does an incredible job of handling such a difficult subject which is often hidden and shrouded because the victims feel ashamed.

I loved that despite the ashes of Talia and Jesse’s past, Lagan and Talia’s Post-it love story could continue to grow and bloom. Jesse’s character continued to mature and develop now that he could interact with the world instead of being cooped up at home in a wheelchair. The question is though, will he allow his anger to keep everyone at arm’s length, or will he learn to let others close to him?

I gave Soaring Through Stars 5 stars out of 5. The series is a definite must-read.

Thank you to the author for providing a copy of the book is exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review, visit my blog Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/04/book-review-soaring-through... ( )
  KathrynSvendsen | Apr 30, 2015 |

Praise for the Swimming Through Clouds Trilogy “It is the rare author who can end an emotionally compelling trilogy with the same resounding truth from which it was formed, but turned inside out. In Soaring through Stars, Rajdeep Paulus does exactly that. Crafting her characters’ inner growth at a believable and often heart-wrenching pace across the series, this final book extends an exquisite peace to hearts where extreme fear used to dwell. This series should be on the shelves of every American high school. Soaring through Stars is a beautiful, perfect ending to a truly exceptional series… Don’t miss this one.” ~Serena Chase, USA Today’s Happy Ever After blog, author of The Ryn “Rajdeep Paulus writes young adult fiction with a new kind of hero…Despair and cruelty haunt its pages. Raj’s most heroic characters find the strength to be compassionate at moments when it would be much easier to stand by and do nothing.” ~Amazon Author Success Story “Tough and touching, resilient and raw—Rajdeep Paulus has crafted a story of love and abuse with the deft touch of a master…and she never averts her pen from the realities that face far too many women and children.” ~ Tosca Lee, NY Times Bestselling Author of Havah and The Books of Mortals series with Ted Dekker “Deep, sometimes quite dark, and very emotional YA story.” ~Once Upon a YA Book Blog *** “I live in the in between. Between holding on and letting go. Hurt clings to me. Hope teases me. Home. I can’t explain it, but sometimes, I just want to go home.” Talia and Jesse Vanderbilt have escaped a childhood full of abuse, and with the help of their friends have found the courage to publicly tell their stories. When they face obstacles trying to have their father convicted, the siblings can't help but consider the option to walk away and move on with their lives. Someone unexpected brings his own secrets, forcing the Vanderbilt teens to revisit their pasts and rethink their plans. Through it all, Lagan and Talia’s Post-it love story blossoms, while Jesse and Summer hit roadblocks. From the award-winning author of Swimming Through Clouds and Seeing Through Stones comes a powerful story of freedom and belonging in this final book of the young adult trilogy that began with an invitation on a little Post-it note.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 19 Aug 2015 15:49:35 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,592,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible