WHITE IS THE COLDEST COLOUR by John Nicholl

WHITE IS THE COLDEST COLOUR

by John Nicholl

131723,089 (3)None

Set in 1992 in Wales, White Is The Coldest Colour is a story about child abuse. Written by a former police officer and social worker with experience in child protection matters, the story felt shockingly realistic. While the first chapter was difficult to get through due to the very disturbing images, the rest of the book was not overly graphic.
The way John Nicholl portrayed the two faces of Dr. David Galbraith, a well-respected child psychiatrist, and an utterly sadistic pedophile, was extremely impressive and the highlight of the book for me. A true narcissistic monster, Galbraith likes to be admired, feels superior to everyone including the authorities who start investigating him and lacks any empathy whatsoever. His marriage and family life are based on total obedience and sick displays of power.
Following the police investigation and the social services involvement was really interesting. I have to say it all felt so disturbingly real, I kept wondering whether I was truly listening to a piece of fiction. The ending was totally unexpected, and I'm now looking forward to reading the sequel When Evil Calls Your Name.
Listening to the audio version, there were a couple of minor niggles that were distracting. I'm not sure whether I would have picked up on this had I been reading it, but hearing it out loud, the repetitive use of names and certain words became slightly frustrating.
The narration by Jake Urry, however, was stellar. Portraying children's voices can't be easy for any narrator and with a storyline tackling such an emotive topic as child abuse, getting the children's voices across in a believable and appropriate manner was really important to me. Jake nailed it. His performance of Dr. Galbraith's perspective was suitably disturbing. In addition, he handled a variety of different accents and gave each character a distinct voice. Very well done.
I received a complimentary copy of the audiobook in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Pet12 | Jun 14, 2016 |

The Mailer family are oblivious to the terrible danger that enters their lives when seven-year-old Anthony is referred to the child guidance service by the family GP following the breakdown of his parents' marriage. Fifty-eight year old Dr David Galbraith, a sadistic predatory paedophile employed as a consultant child psychiatrist, has already murdered one child in the soundproofed cellar below the South Wales Georgian town-house he shares with his wife and two young daughters. Anthony becomes Galbraith's latest obsession, and he will stop at nothing to make his grotesque fantasies reality.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,577,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible